Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411239 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2490 on: September 21, 2017, 09:47:52 pm »

Note that the only thing that led me to believe in this is legends mode. It says that they imprison, then 9 months later the abductee transforms AND gives birth.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: September 22, 2017, 05:19:47 am »

Regardless of their sex?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: September 22, 2017, 05:55:26 am »

Regardless of their sex?

In case of male victims, the troll gives birth and the spouse transforms.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: September 23, 2017, 04:28:26 am »

I know they're not the focus of this particular release, but how are starting scenarios going to work as far as their availability goes - say, being determined based on some factors like current history and the needs/desires of your civ and its rulers (with some 'evergreen' scenarios that you can always pick, including some kind of "freeform" scenario that is basically what we have now, a party of seven coming together to venture out into the world and found a new home for themselves, as well as other scenarios that fall into a "there's always a need for this" category, such as a mining colony or roadside tavern), or is it going to be more like Cataclysm: DDA's "starting professions" where you can just pick whatever you fancy at any point, even if it might make relatively little sense (like a military outpost...for a civ that isn't at war with anyone)?

Basically, how much depth is there meant to be wrt the starting scenarios before you pick one, if that makes sense?

I know it's probably the worst way to word this kind of question (it's basically a suggestion wrapped under a paper-thin veil of a question at this point), but I haven't really seen too many mentions of how that part of the scenarios is going to work (although I will admit I haven't done much in terms of actively looking for it, so maybe that's on me).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: September 24, 2017, 02:55:50 am »

Note that the only thing that led me to believe in this is legends mode. It says that they imprison, then 9 months later the abductee transforms AND gives birth.
Hadn't noticed that, makes it all the more horrific I suppose, but I'd assume the fetus was of the converted race already and the birth is just when the corruption finishes.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: September 24, 2017, 03:18:18 am »

Hadn't noticed that, makes it all the more horrific I suppose, but I'd assume the fetus was of the converted race already and the birth is just when the corruption finishes.

Yup. We need more !!SCIENCE!! on this, but I'm not sure about how to do that.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: September 24, 2017, 04:30:34 am »

Export the legends xml, find the first few historical events relating to the abduction and transformation by night creatures, as well as the first few night trolls being born, and compare the year and seconds72 (there are 403200 of these to a year) entries of those events and the birth subtag of the historical figures.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: September 24, 2017, 04:55:41 am »

Export the legends xml, find the first few historical events relating to the abduction and transformation by night creatures, as well as the first few night trolls being born, and compare the year and seconds72 (there are 403200 of these to a year) entries of those events and the birth subtag of the historical figures.
Did all that. I meant stuff like "can you unretire converted retired adventurers?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: September 24, 2017, 05:47:02 am »

Sorry, must have missed that (the specific question is of course a bit academic right now without stuff like DFHack).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: September 24, 2017, 06:22:44 pm »

Well there's also the later children born throwing a wrench into the whole "fetus is original race" thing, not to mention cases where you have those children converting spouses.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: September 26, 2017, 01:29:56 am »

Quote from: Toady
Elves showing up as peddlars, but the game giving them away as "Warrior" in their travel logs

No-one will suspect the elvish inquisition.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:41 pm »

Quote from: Toady
Elves showing up as peddlars, but the game giving them away as "Warrior" in their travel logs

No-one will suspect the elvish inquisition.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yay, more reasons to simply purge all the tree-hugging cannibals.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: September 26, 2017, 11:34:03 pm »

So, prophets and prophecies are kind of intriguing. I understand they'll all be 'fake prophets' this time around (even the ones which aren't spies) but what do you have planned for their prophecies when they're not fake? Can the game predict the future? How does that work? I know you mentioned it in a talk at gdc, but I don't think I understood it...at all... :)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: September 27, 2017, 08:26:10 am »

Tad too many metal weapons on that elf, obviously a bowman and the sword is just for show.

- With a understandable risk of being targeted for 'accidents' because the player knows its a dummy profession (or least a generic concealable one) do peddlers have any specific purpose to fortress mode to dissasuade players from calling a militia onto them pre-emptively to out a suspected spy or releasing traps to arrange fatal accidents? (visitor looting is already quite popular)

- Are peddlers within worldgen as you might find wandering around more receptive to trading requests?

Its just that by sort of revealing that these less notable professions could be spies, you've unknowingly sealed their fate & doom as per dwarf fortress players acting on this information (though there's plenty of other professions to hide in) unless sportsmanship is the key and we allow the subterfuge to happen for emergent story development.

• Sort of like how players purposefully keep their value settings down to not attract sieges, and other metaknowledge strategies bourne out of knowing the system for the most part very well.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: September 27, 2017, 10:05:09 am »

Since there's already people being identified by descriptions with the new made up identities do you plan to eventually have artifacts spotted somewhere described by appearance if someone doesn't really know about it? I know you've played Caves of Qud and their artifacts need to be identified, but that game obviously doesn't have all the same tracking code DF does
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 211