Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406657 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2520 on: September 30, 2017, 05:23:09 am »

Will artifact weapons and armour be used in martial pursuits?

And can artifact weapons and armours can be taken from corpses after a battle ?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: September 30, 2017, 08:30:52 am »

I fail to see why they'd be any different from normal weapons&armor in that regard.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: September 30, 2017, 11:25:51 am »

I fail to see why they'd be any different from normal weapons&armor in that regard.

Objects of significance carried through families would most likely be taken either during or after the battle, depends whether toady puts in any specific looting actions or if its handled by local site scroungers walking over the area rebasing to lootable sites.

Especially how reclaiming objects will be a big thing in the arc, still yet to be shown whether world generated mooded & personal objects would carry along with professional soldiers.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: October 01, 2017, 02:58:43 pm »

In the A question about clouds of wicked soot topic, PatrikLundell explained:
Don't worry: good/evil areas will disappear in the arc after the upcoming one (to be replaced with something sphere based), i.e. in 1½-3 years.

My question: After this gets implemented, will players/dwarves eventually be able to pray to a deity and ask to change the sphere of a region to something else (such as to reflect the sphere of the deity being prayed to)?

For example: If a region where a dwarf fortress was founded upon is under, say, the Sphere of Death, would it be possible to plead with a deity your dwarves worship to change the sphere to something else?

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: October 01, 2017, 06:08:34 pm »

In the A question about clouds of wicked soot topic, PatrikLundell explained:
Don't worry: good/evil areas will disappear in the arc after the upcoming one (to be replaced with something sphere based), i.e. in 1½-3 years.

My question: After this gets implemented, will players/dwarves eventually be able to pray to a deity and ask to change the sphere of a region to something else (such as to reflect the sphere of the deity being prayed to)?

For example: If a region where a dwarf fortress was founded upon is under, say, the Sphere of Death, would it be possible to plead with a deity your dwarves worship to change the sphere to something else?

The implication I've gathered (although I'd be hard pressed to find a hard quote) is that it will be multi-faceted and non-binary in a given area. By this I mean that each of the spheres that influence a region would have varying degrees of strength. Influenced by the Gods, inhabitants, strange structures, etc. So, if you embark in a Filth-strong land, kill all of the Giant Scabbie Men, set up a Temple to Dwarven Bathing, the Filth influence would decrease over time, and the Showering sphere would increase in strength locally. Until, of course, a Muck Demon raises a Tower of Divine Crud from the Depths.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: October 02, 2017, 03:11:48 am »

As far as I understand, the sphere influence is not intended to be static. How you'd go about to change influences and to what extend (both in strength, whether it's temporary or "permanent" (i.e. until the next power shift), and how long it takes for it to take effect seems to be up in the air.
I can think of variations of all of these. A gradual slow shift with temples, a "permanent" sudden change by the destruction of a sphere focus, a big ritual that has a large immediate effect but which doesn't "power" its sphere, and thus gets eaten away over time (unless you also add some kind of power focus).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: October 02, 2017, 06:43:58 am »

There's always the additional implication that dwarves might just adapt to their new localised sphere and pick up some religious followers over time (second generation dwarves etc) though you might imagine that they would find settling onto spheres they are not familiar with or are at opposites with non-favourable unless they are forced by the player.

Its like saying a fire sphere nation settles on a glacier with ice/water spheres, magical and energywise its going to be messy & uncomfortable unless a co-existance/dominance is achieved.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:21 am »

There's always the additional implication that dwarves might just adapt to their new localised sphere and pick up some religious followers over time (second generation dwarves etc) though you might imagine that they would find settling onto spheres they are not familiar with or are at opposites with non-favourable unless they are forced by the player.

Its like saying a fire sphere nation settles on a glacier with ice/water spheres, magical and energywise its going to be messy & uncomfortable unless a co-existance/dominance is achieved.

Say, the ice will melt and lakes of magma will spring up?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:05 am »

Wheres the future of the fortress post, getting the chills, I need my monthly Toady fix really really bad

(1) Will the new diplomatic options/demands for artifacts be held in the throne room of the Fortress Ruler?
(2) Are there any plans for future permanent embassies of diplomats? Or any Noble interactions/events such as "coronation, banquets with foreign dignitaries, tournaments" etc?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: October 02, 2017, 04:42:44 pm »

Wheres the future of the fortress post, getting the chills, I need my monthly Toady fix really really bad

(1) Will the new diplomatic options/demands for artifacts be held in the throne room of the Fortress Ruler?
(2) Are there any plans for future permanent embassies of diplomats? Or any Noble interactions/events such as "coronation, banquets with foreign dignitaries, tournaments" etc?

Future of the Fortress reply is late this month. Says so on the devblog.
1) Toady mentioned meeting with artifact demanders outside, with enough time for whoever has to meet with them to run back inside before the invasion force charge.
Not sure how that's calculated.

2) Law and Society arc (starting scenarios) is specifically about individual's relationship with their entities (families, government, etc). Nobles will be overhauled then (and might actually have a point). Will start work in 5-6 years, so full details will probably be scarce so far.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2530 on: October 02, 2017, 06:10:40 pm »

Kind of an odd question, but will there eventually be an option to have creature names remain untranslated - and also in that case, have a chance for the second word of their last name to be omitted?

I.e instead of Kogan Oddomzangin (would normally mean Cloistercreek) it'd just be shortened to Kogan Oddom, remaining untranslated when speaking to the dwarf.

I often use the word sets I generate for DF with external applications for settings and characters I write - it'd be a neat feature immersion-wise; it may be personal preference but I notice the names would roll of the tongue better
if they were left untranslated and kept to only single words for the name and last name.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: October 03, 2017, 06:18:11 pm »

How late is "late"?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: October 03, 2017, 06:47:27 pm »

Don't think it was specified. Shouldn't be too much longer though.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: October 03, 2017, 07:02:43 pm »

Relax, it's coming. (Though I feel you; the one time I look forward to a FotF post, it's delayed. Oh well.)

To avoid coming off (well, solely) as an impatient and whiny B12, here's a question:Will there ever be limits with regards to areas in which you can embark, beyond the obvious "literally can't embark here because it's the middle of the damn sea"? I know people enjoy having the freedom to settle anywhere they please, but it seems rather odd that you can choose to go to places where that your civilization (or any civilization, as the case may be) isn't even aware of the existence of, let alone has access to.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:25 pm »

In my experience, when a programmer delays reporting it's mainly because they are programming and don't want to be disturbed.  Now, I wonder why that might be the case... ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 211