Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406505 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2595 on: October 12, 2017, 06:30:50 am »

Soul-containing artifacts wouldn't need a unit, they'd just need a pointer to a soul.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04:21 am »

Because animals can be set to be a internal supply of a civ, does this mean that the beastiary will open to be expanded because the pressure is taken off worldgeneration and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags to supply animals, and we will see more examples & variations of animals as a result?
...rabbit the size of a badger specially bred (animal husbandry experiment)...

This is a good question.

DF does have some degree of animal husbandry and genetics simulation. (See v0.31 Talk:Butcher.) There can be a surprising degree of variation in terms of a species' HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH. (Not to mention variation in hair, eye, and tissue colors. See TLCM_GENETIC_MODEL and other creature tokens.) And these traits can be inherited by offspring.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: October 12, 2017, 11:13:36 am »

Well i sort of meant it as a seperate animal only owned by dwarves, when i was talking about that but uh yeah, interesting point you raise there, internal populations slowly becoming different to the needs of the civ that is tweaking them.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: October 12, 2017, 12:14:49 pm »

Some discussion elsewhere made me realize a thing and I can't recall whether it's been confirmed or denied yet:

Are these new display rack items going to be available to construct and place in adventure mode? If so, is it handled via hardcoded additions to the code, or will some raw handling of tool-based furniture for adventure mode be implemented? If the latter, I can see that being potentially useful for modding.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:51 pm »

I have a good feeling about all this. I think we are close to the next release ! :)

Wikipera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: October 13, 2017, 03:34:45 pm »

With the new off-map squads, will we ever see a construction-oriented version of them? Say, a construction crew to build a road to the mountainhome, or an aqueduct, or a series of watchtowers and distress beacons?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: October 13, 2017, 03:42:21 pm »

With the new off-map squads, will we ever see a construction-oriented version of them? Say, a construction crew to build a road to the mountainhome, or an aqueduct, or a series of watchtowers and distress beacons?

We'll know, more about interactions with the outside map by the time we approach the hillock arc in order to do stuff with other sites, by the artifact arc atleast there will be barebones diplomatic negotiations for objects. And perhaps better definitions of how civs work in the law & property arc.

Picking Toady's brains for more info on squad functions is interesting, but your question sounds more phrased like a suggestion.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: October 13, 2017, 05:51:21 pm »

I have a good feeling about all this. I think we are close to the next release ! :)

I can feel it too.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: October 13, 2017, 05:58:14 pm »

DF2018 sooooon? :3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: October 13, 2017, 08:14:06 pm »

Might be 2017. Depends.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: October 13, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »

Might be 2017. Depends.
Closer to 2018 if you're waiting for something half-way "stable" (in the DF sense of the word).

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:52 pm »

1. In some of the myth generator screen shots it was shown that some races might be reborn into new bodies after they die. If a player adventurer died while playing as one of these races would they get to play as the reborn creature? In cases where the race in question is reborn as a non sentient creature would player adventurers get to play as that animal?
2. I also noticed in some of the myth generator screen shots certain races will be able to have their souls merge with cosmic entities. In terms of afterlife game play, what would this entail for a player adventurer of such a race who qualifies for this specific afterlife?
3. If a magical organization gets big enough, would other means or training new magic users besides apprenticeships be possible? For example could 1 skilled magic user teach an entire class of fresh prospects? Also how big could the structures in which these magical organizations reside get?
4. In the first pass of the myth and magic update will there be both corruption affects that affect the whole body and localized corruption that affects one body part at a time and slowly spreads or just one or the other? If just one which? Finally will there be a special UI for viewing corruptions or will they be viewable by viewing your physical description?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: October 13, 2017, 08:55:10 pm »

Might be 2017. Depends.
Closer to 2018 if you're waiting for something half-way "stable" (in the DF sense of the word).

The number of craps I give about stability is <1.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: October 13, 2017, 09:59:30 pm »

Might be 2017. Depends.

It's mostly just me joking about the fact we're already past the semptember estimate for next update, and before I've also joked, close to the 1-year anniversary of last update, that I'd be happy to see the update actually hit in this year.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: October 13, 2017, 10:05:02 pm »

Might be 2017. Depends.

It's mostly just me joking about the fact we're already past the semptember estimate for next update, and before I've also joked, close to the 1-year anniversary of last update, that I'd be happy to see the update actually hit in this year.
Well anyway, looks pretty certain that it'll be end of October/start of November. No mention of delays in today's report. So that's good.

Of course the version we'll all be playing during the dark years waiting for mythgen will be one released in 2018.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 211