Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406650 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2610 on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:47 pm »

In the October 13th dev-log, you mention invaders getting spooked and going on a rampage.  Is there any way to keep in the getting spooked part and just have them run away?  I think releasing captive animals near the demanding invaders to scare them off would be an awesome way to deal with them.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: October 13, 2017, 10:11:24 pm »

In the October 13th dev-log, you mention invaders getting spooked and going on a rampage.  Is there any way to keep in the getting spooked part and just have them run away?  I think releasing captive animals near the demanding invaders to scare them off would be an awesome way to deal with them.
I imagine they'll kill them all, same as they do right now. The only difference being that it won't make them automatically forget negotiations and become hostile to everyone in your fortress.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: October 14, 2017, 05:51:19 am »

Well, there is precedence for an animal ruining negotiations. Wouldn't be too fun, though. ;)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2613 on: October 14, 2017, 05:11:44 pm »

Thank you for the responses, Toady!
Quote from: iceball3
Will we, as fortress overseers, be able to arbitrate the arrest of fortress visitors (with or without diplomatic penalties with whoever they're associated with), now that the risk of a siege worth of party-goers accumulating in the pub is now very real?

Haven't done anything with this yet, and not really sure how much that'll come up until we understand the justice system a bit better.
Interesting. Would the preemptive response be to attack them using current stopgaps be military, or organize unfortunate accidents for them? Until the Justice system is fleshed out, that is.
In the event that we kill a suspect individual, do diplomatic repercussions affect relations with entities by the victim's cover identity, or their real identity?

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: October 15, 2017, 09:11:31 pm »

Will magical artifacts give Dwarves (and others who use them) extra attacks, such as fire jets and syndrome inducing stuff? And would it be removed if a dwarf removed the item?
No amount of mods is too much

LulllberJack

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Do you like cats as more as I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: October 16, 2017, 11:07:36 pm »

Hi Toady! In next release you will add a feature to send a squads off the map for stole/return artifact. Will you add ability to attack enemy's sites? I just look forward to this opportunity
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:49:19 am by LulllberJack »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: October 16, 2017, 11:22:08 pm »

Hi Toady! In next release you will add a feature to send a squads off the map for stole/return artifact. Will you add ability to attack enemy's sites? I just look forward to this opportunity

Unless I missed something, it looks like there are currently 3 missions available for squads sent out in to the world.

Quote from: Devlog 03/18/2017
We have little missions for groups of squads, and they can leave the map now. The current possibilities are rescue missions for kidnap victims, artifact recovery missions, and generic raids if you just want to start trouble. There are myriad issues to sort out, as expected. I'll let you know if anything amusing happens!

So, you should be able to do a raid and start trouble.  Trying to conquer a site for your civ, however, is not currently available.

Also, if you want Toady to see your questions, high-light them lime green.  Welcome to the boards.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: October 17, 2017, 01:32:23 am »

Unless I missed something, it looks like there are currently 3 missions available for squads sent out in to the world.

Quote from: Devlog 03/18/2017
We have little missions for groups of squads, and they can leave the map now. The current possibilities are rescue missions for kidnap victims, artifact recovery missions, and generic raids if you just want to start trouble. There are myriad issues to sort out, as expected. I'll let you know if anything amusing happens!

So, you should be able to do a raid and start trouble.  Trying to conquer a site for your civ, however, is not currently available.

Also, if you want Toady to see your questions, high-light them lime green.  Welcome to the boards.
And, just recently announced, you can send squads to rescue other kinds of prisoners too. Including the survivors of your own failed squad raids.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: October 17, 2017, 09:16:31 am »

Are the new kobold sites an actual new site, or is everyone living in a cave going to have egg chambers?

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: October 17, 2017, 09:26:42 am »

Are the new kobold sites an actual new site, or is everyone living in a cave going to have egg chambers?

The implication is that the kobold civ will probably have additional tags (like how structures are built in the world such as outdoor tombs for humans) that will modify the cave they are currently inhibiting. But additional questions like this help for clarity. I could be totally wrong about it and you rightly point out it could be a different site setting.

Update is not quite imminent but upcoming so we might get a practical answer for ourselves in time.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: October 17, 2017, 08:29:49 pm »

Once mythgen comes around, can we expect engravings and sculptures to depict images from the myths of their particular world on occasion (especially the ones in temples)?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:31:26 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2621 on: October 18, 2017, 10:16:15 am »

Will the spoils of war and enemy materiel be recovered from raids, or are they merely a "civ angering" action and little else?

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: October 18, 2017, 01:54:59 pm »

1. Will we be getting an overhaul of the calendar, with procedurally generated per-word calendar systems? By this I mean two things - both the mechanics of time passage themself(for example worlds where seasons last several years, perhaps even decades, like ASOIAF, among the more mundane options) and the recording of the passage of time by sapient beings(e.g. a different number of months in a year, the division of time into "eras"(like in the TES universe), an explanation of when year 1 starts(where applicable), etc.)
2. How will spellbooks work? They're a staple of high fantasy and they'll obviously be included, but I see some problems with how to make them both fun and having them make sense. More specifically:

a) How will the generator handle the writing of spellbooks? Obviously this would require mages experimenting during worldgen and then writing their discoveries down, but how specifically are they going to experiment? A human might be able to see potentially interesting venues of further investigation, but how would a computer handle this?
b) Are spellbooks planned to be the one-spell-per-book variety, or the all-encompassing tomes with a bunch of spells contained? The first would be more fun(since it would require more exploration and learning new spells would be more rewarding) but would make far less sense(why, exactly, would a 2 step spell require an entire book about it?) while the second would be the other way around.
c) What would prevent worldgen mages from cluttering the world with 3000 books about the exact same spell?
d) What would prevent worldgen mages from simply discovering every spell there is on older worlds?
e) What would prevent spellbooks going around the world in massive numbers and making everyone a mage over time? If my character can read, what prevents me from simply learning a spell even if I'm not a mage(excluding spells that have prerequests, such as a bloodline or a faith in a god)?
f) Will there be spellbooks less about practical spells and more about interesting experiments that could further one's deeper understanding of the magic system?

Hope that isn't too much.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:57:13 pm by Hapchazzard »

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: October 18, 2017, 02:00:47 pm »

1. Will we be getting an overhaul of the calendar, with procedurally generated per-word calendar systems? By this I mean two things - both the mechanics of time passage themself(for example worlds where seasons last several years, perhaps even decades, like ASOIAF, among the more mundane options) and the recording of the passage of time by sapient beings(e.g. a different number of months in a year, the division of time into "eras"(like in the TES universe), an explanation of when year 1 starts(where applicable), etc.)
2. How will spellbooks work? They're a staple of high fantasy and they'll obviously be included, but I see some problems with how to make them both fun and having them make sense. More specifically:

a) How will the generator handle the writing of spellbooks? Obviously this would require mages experimenting during worldgen and then writing their discoveries down, but how specifically are they going to experiment? A human might be able to see potentially interesting venues of further investigation, but how would a computer handle this?
b) Are spellbooks planned to be the one-spell-per-book variety, or the all-encompassing tomes with a bunch of spells contained? The first would be more fun(since it would require more exploration and learning new spells would be more rewarding) but would make far less sense(why, exactly, would a 2 step spell require an entire book about it?) while the second would be the other way around.
c) What would prevent worldgen mages from cluttering the world with 3000 books about the exact same spell?
d) What would prevent worldgen mages from simply discovering every spell there is on older worlds?
e) What would prevent spellbooks going around the world in massive numbers and making everyone a mage over time? If my character can read, what prevents me from simply learning a spell even if I'm not a mage(excluding spells that have prerequests, such as a bloodline or a faith in a god)?
f) Will there be spellbooks less about practical spells and more about interesting experiments that could further one's deeper understanding of the magic system?

Answer to (c): likely a spell book cap, in which you can no longer make any more of a certain type
No amount of mods is too much

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: October 18, 2017, 04:22:41 pm »

Well, firstly you're asking about the NEXT arc, not the one whose first release is nearing, so things are still quite a bit up in the air.
b. Single/limited number of uses magic items, such as runes, potions, crystal, etc. are common in fantasy, with some of them usable by anyone, some only by the creature they're given to, and some only by those with sufficient skill/knowledge to use them. What DF will implement remains to be seen, but they probably wouldn't be called spell books.
c. There are numerous reasons for why mages aren't mass producing spell books:
   - Trade secrets
   - Limited demand
   - There are much more interesting and profitable (in whatever currency is of interest to the mage) things to do for a skilled mage than cranking out spell books
d. There is nothing in particular to prevent everything that's possible to research to have been researched in an old world. There is also nothing saying there won't be cataclysms that causes a new set of rules to come into play, adding to, subtracting from, or replacing some or all of the previous rules. The elimination of a god or containment of a sphere would probably affect any magic that has those as a source, while the birth, resurrection, or growing power of a "god" could introduce new rules.
e. Typically magic requires long and painstaking training and research, so a spell book would only provide meaningful information to people with the appropriate prerequisites (i.e. sufficient study of that branch of magic). Unless you've studied advanced math, the advanced math textbooks are nominally readable to you, but probably not particularly understandable, as they assume you already have acquired the underlying body of knowledge, like e.g. referring to proofs you're assumed to be familiar with, terms with a specific well defined meaning, etc. In addition to this, magic is often described as having verbal and somatic components, so you need to know the words, how they should be uttered, the required state of mind, and the appropriate gestures to successfully cast a spell. A skilled mage might be able to infer a lot from just a spell book together with a known body of knowledge to research/figure out how to cast a spell described, while the same spell book acts more as a reminder than a complete set of instructions to those who know the spell (possibly with the same kind of shorthand and omissions as reminder notes can have). Thus, everyone do not become mages for the same reason everyone isn't cobblers, carpenters, accountants, and engineers simultaneously in the real world: you have to concentrate on one profession, although you can be a dabbler at many, or have some as a hobby. Note, however, that this is just one case. There may be hyper magic worlds where everyone knows at least some simple magic, and there will most likely be other kinds of magic (bestowed by a powerful magic wielding more or less godlike creature/item/force, innate magic in certain races/animals/plants(?), etc.).
f. Magic research is very likely to be available in fortress mode (eventually). Whether research can be jump started or accelerated by acquired arcane research notes (I wouldn't call such works "spell books") remains to be seen, but it's not uncommon in fantasy for powerful creatures blocked from gaining access to our (fantasy) world use minions or other remote control methods to either open gates to let them through or spread information on how to open gates to lure fools into releasing them through the promise of power/riches/knowledge. You can also find examples of notes left behind by defeated enemies or powerful wizards of old being found or located.
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 211