Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406459 times)

LulllberJack

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Do you like cats as more as I?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2625 on: October 21, 2017, 05:29:19 am »

Hello from Russian community of this game! Thank you for your work! We have some questions about this game:
Phoenix writes:
Question about magic release: will there be different types of magic?
Maxim Matvienco asks:
It seems like genetics is disable in current releases. If there are any plans of reworking it in nearest future? Would be nice to see some appearance tuples disabling/decreasing probablity of strange appearance combinations (something like black skin and copper hair). What about appearance prefrences? We already have favourite food, metals and animals, but no favorite eyes color etc. In other hand, standarts of beauty can be generated for each civilization separately during worldgen.
Second question: should we expect practical applying of scholar skills? Maybe something like discovereing "technological" secrets. For example: Optical engineer discovered secret of mirror or lense-making, which alows us to create them in glassmakers worksop (or u can just disable some already existing reations by default, so we require to discover them first)
Sergei Rybakov writes:
Are you planning to add ability to make cooperation for musicians in to musical groups, who will organize concerts and world group-tours? Will you add ability to sell fighters/mercenaries for short time? Are you planning to rise criminals among dwarves (vandalism, stealing, murdering, etc.)? Will you add poison plants, which can be identified by experienced planter (with small chance to no-distinction, of course)? Will you make sport competitions?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:50:22 pm by LulllberJack »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: October 21, 2017, 05:31:26 am »

Hello from Russian community of this game! Thank you for your work! We have some questions about this game:
Phoenix writes:

Definitely yes. Only Toady knows the specifics though.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: October 21, 2017, 03:34:11 pm »

Magic will be procedurally generated. So yes, we will get many different varieties that will vary in nature from world to world.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 03:37:22 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: October 21, 2017, 11:58:05 pm »

What is the Manifestation, mentioned in the devlog?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: October 22, 2017, 03:47:52 am »

What is the Manifestation, mentioned in the devlog?
I'm not sure where it was mentioned (I could have sworn it was a devlog, but apparently not), but its a debug tool-created creature.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2630 on: October 22, 2017, 01:19:58 pm »

Phoenix writes:
Maxim Matvienco asks:
It seems like genetics is disable in current releases. If there are any plans of reworking it in nearest future? Would be nice to see some appearance tuples disabling/decreasing probablity of strange appearance combinations (something like black skin and copper hair). What about appearance prefrences? We already have favourite food, metals and animals, but no favorite eyes color etc. In other hand, standarts of beauty can be generated for each civilization separately during worldgen.
Second question: should we expect practical applying of scholar skills? Maybe something like discovereing "technological" secrets. For example: Optical engineer discovered secret of mirror or lense-making, which alows us to create them in glassmakers worksop (or u can just disable some already existing reations by default, so we require to discover them first)
Sergei Rybakov writes:
Are you planning to add ability to make cooperation for musicians in to musical groups, who will organize concerts and world group-tours? Will you add ability to sell fighters/mercenaries for short time? Are you planning to rise criminals among dwarves (vandalism, stealing, murdering, etc.)? Will you add poison plants, which can be identified by experienced planter (with small chance to no-distinction, of course)? Will you make sport competitions?

Здравствуйте

Cool to see some non-english communities popping in here.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: October 22, 2017, 08:10:30 pm »

How far off do think you are from a combat system upgrade?  There's a long list of things I've always wanted, like archer dwarves carrying side-arms, throwing weapons like javelin or shuriken, AI for multiple types of ranged weapons, AI not jumping off walls, hooked weapons, weapons that are good or bad at parrying, tip/base balance calculation, spiked shields, helmets that cover the face, gunpowder/explosives, construction-destroying siegers.  It's a lot of realistic stuff that I assume you want to do at some point, I'm curious how far away that kind of thing is on your to-do list. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02:09 pm »

How far off do think you are from a combat system upgrade?  There's a long list of things I've always wanted, like archer dwarves carrying side-arms, throwing weapons like javelin or shuriken, AI for multiple types of ranged weapons, AI not jumping off walls, hooked weapons, weapons that are good or bad at parrying, tip/base balance calculation, spiked shields, helmets that cover the face, gunpowder/explosives, construction-destroying siegers.  It's a lot of realistic stuff that I assume you want to do at some point, I'm curious how far away that kind of thing is on your to-do list. 

I'm not sure how Toady checks messages, but if it's a bot, use LIME green, not green.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: October 22, 2017, 10:05:03 pm »

It's not a bot. Toady just reads them himself.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: October 23, 2017, 02:46:54 am »

Either kind of green works as Toady notification, although lime green is the "official" notification color. If you read the answers you'll see that Toady makes references to forumite answers, so the color is most likely used to quickly find the actual questions when writing the answers.

A combat revamp is currently beyond the (sort of) scheduled horizon (Artifacts, Myth & Magic * X [looking at the dev page, M&M consists of 5 sections, all but one with more bullets than the whole of the Artifacts arc, so it won't all fit in one arc], and Starting Scenarios arcs).
It also seems multi tile machinery (e.g. boats) and economy revival are closer to the horizon than a combat revamp.
However, the schedule can be reshuffled due to e.g. side project influences or discovered needs for infrastructure support for things that are scheduled.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 23, 2017, 04:30:28 am »

I imagine little bits of combat updating will appear from time to time during each release. Taverns doesn't appear combat related but still saw force, helmet removal and proper armor for invaders added at the end. But yeah, a specifically combat focussed update seems a long way off.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: October 23, 2017, 05:51:37 am »

Take mounting a creature for instance, its feasable right now since outside civs realise how to do it (and suspiciously get better configs on what creatures to choose in the artifact update) and it can be pseudo done in arena mode, not least its been prototyped since forever there's not a lot holding back Toady slipping it into a update one of these days.

Item degredation like Shonai says was out of the blue entirely.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:20:01 am by FantasticDorf »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: October 23, 2017, 05:58:48 am »

Well, technically dwarves use mounts as well, it's only that they forget how to ride when they become children, and the mounts are restricted to mothers ;)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: October 23, 2017, 12:53:06 pm »

FWIW, DF2014 (world activation) offered several big improvements to combat as well.
Since combat is a pretty big part of the game, I think it's fair to say that we can expect little bits and pieces of improvements to it every now and again, which over time might add up to an equivalent of a dedicated combat-focused update.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: October 23, 2017, 12:59:29 pm »

Why do underground plants have seasonal limitations, and aboveground plants don't?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 211