Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406593 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2640 on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:45 pm »

With all due respect, that's not really a FOTF question.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: October 23, 2017, 01:55:53 pm »

Why not?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: October 23, 2017, 01:57:00 pm »

Why do underground plants have seasonal limitations, and aboveground plants don't?
I agree it's a Past of the Fortress question...
If I understand it correctly, DF once had underground plant farming only, and caverns had seasonal variations in the caverns, like flooding seasons. For whatever reason (presumably game play suitability) the seasonal changes in the caverns were removed, but the plants were not updated. When surface plant farming was introduced seasonal farming associations were not added to those, possibly because a more complex system is intended to eventually be introduced (I can e.g. think of latitude and temperature associations beyond the bare biome ones). It can be noted, though, that wild surface plants have a season bound cycle of when they produce their flowers and seed bearing parts (this is particularly noticeable with trees, as you can't farm those).
People who actually were around at the time might be able to correct me.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: October 23, 2017, 02:48:31 pm »

Why do underground plants have seasonal limitations, and aboveground plants don't?

It is a valid question.  Patrik's answer gave some history in that the underground plants were there first.  I believe the last FotF thread had Toady's answer, specifically:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Mephansteras
    On a related question about plants: Are there plans to go through and give the various aboveground plants more realistic seasons and growth durations, as well as reasonable harvest seasons for things like fruit?

Right now they're all pretty much set for any season with short growth durations that allow you to get a crop every season (or more), while the underground plants all have seasons, which doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, I'd like to have the seasons be correct, where seasons even exist, and the biomes are also too non-specific in most cases.  Right now it's a combination of research/data-entry time combined with not having farming finalized and so worrying about wasting mine (or anybody's) time entering info.  I haven't gotten close enough to tackling farming think about how the plant issue is going to be handled.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:53:08 pm by Dwarfu »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: October 23, 2017, 03:58:52 pm »

Yes, it's a valid question in itself. It just wasn't exactly phrased as a FoTF question, but maybe I'm being too picky.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: October 23, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »

What is the Manifestation, mentioned in the devlog?
I'm not sure where it was mentioned (I could have sworn it was a devlog, but apparently not), but its a debug tool-created creature.

This tweet?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: October 23, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »

Useless post deleted.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:32:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: October 23, 2017, 05:34:39 pm »

Outside of being a dev-tool, might it be probable that we see the manifestation-esque beings incarnated into the mainframe of the mythgenerator's resulting creatures & entities?

Indeed, a physical personification of a force, being or concept.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: October 23, 2017, 05:45:45 pm »

Outside of being a dev-tool, might it be probable that we see the manifestation-esque beings incarnated into the mainframe of the mythgenerator's resulting creatures & entities?

Manifestation. A short, cursor shaped being with blatant disregard for clothing.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: October 23, 2017, 08:44:29 pm »

Once you've revamped economy and agriculture and allowed player fortresses to interact with hill dwarves, (way, way down the line, I know, but it's in the dev.html page anyways), will the player be able to sustain themselves with food anymore or will they need to rely on hill dwarves if they wish to have a decently sized fort?

In the history real world, before the agricultural revoltuion, a family needed about 3 hectares to sustain itself and 5 hectares if it kept animals. Obviously DF worlds are far too small for this degree of realism, but the point still is that a lot of land is needed for agriculture. Fort maps tend to encompass only 9 tiles and thus shouldn't have enough land to sustain too many dwarves. So will the player be reliant on hill dwarves for food? I'm rather curious about this.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:44 pm »

Hmm. The player in fortress mode is not Armok. They are Manifestation.

Manifestation may appear visible or not as it pleases, and passes through walls and gives orders without touching the world.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: October 24, 2017, 12:34:27 am »

Once you've revamped economy and agriculture and allowed player fortresses to interact with hill dwarves, (way, way down the line, I know, but it's in the dev.html page anyways), will the player be able to sustain themselves with food anymore or will they need to rely on hill dwarves if they wish to have a decently sized fort?

In the history real world, before the agricultural revoltuion, a family needed about 3 hectares to sustain itself and 5 hectares if it kept animals. Obviously DF worlds are far too small for this degree of realism, but the point still is that a lot of land is needed for agriculture. Fort maps tend to encompass only 9 tiles and thus shouldn't have enough land to sustain too many dwarves. So will the player be reliant on hill dwarves for food? I'm rather curious about this.
The caverns are full of underground crops too. You can see them if you wander around down there. Presumably to be worked by Deep Dwarves.

Toady mentioned that raiding others for specific items, such as food, might be introduced in the future so I think starving dorfs will be a major source of Fun when the economy hits.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: October 24, 2017, 12:43:39 am »

What is The Manifestation lore?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: October 24, 2017, 07:31:41 am »

What is the Manifestation, mentioned in the devlog?
I'm not sure where it was mentioned (I could have sworn it was a devlog, but apparently not), but its a debug tool-created creature.

This tweet?

That's what I was thinking of, yes. Thanks! :)

Avatars and the like have become a bit of a fantasy game staple, so chances are good. In one of the DF Talks, Toady mentioned a divine avatar joining you on the quest - a bit tongue-in-cheek - but it's on his radar.

Edit - also this bit from the current dev page:
Further involvement of deity-level beings and their servants in mortal affairs

Basic divine law as a precursor to law framework
    Manifestation and even integration with civilizations in high-magic settings
    Conflicts between deities or the confused/imperfect agents of a single deity

What is The Manifestation lore?
In a time between times, the Creator devised the Manifestation so to better observe his Works.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:33:28 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: October 24, 2017, 07:49:01 pm »

Will parties going outside the fortress be able to do more mundane stuff like huntting/gathering and logging? That would allow thigs like embarking on a mountain (as it is rigth now) possible.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:20:06 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 211