Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406443 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2730 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:16 am »

Will we see the return of the alchemist and their soap making antics?

Probably not only soap... Potions, for example. But not in this release.

As if there's any difference between the two.

That aside, I have a vague feeling that alchemy might make a debut during either the first or, more likely, second magic/myth release.
I don't exactly have a quote to back that statement up with, it's just my own conjecture, but it would seem appropriate, though for all I know it might be enough work to relegate it to its own release entirely. (Which would also be fine.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:50:06 am by Mes »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: November 13, 2017, 04:56:17 am »

Regarding traveling military peoples; when the economy is implemented, would I be able to request mercenaries from other civilizations?  Like requesting archers from the elves to bolster my crossbowdorfs and then paying for it through the normal trade caravan or some other means.  Conversely, could your parent civilization levy your soldiers to help in other wars or to defend other forts?

On another note, I would like catapults to be more interesting.  Specifically I want to load them with spiked balls.

Unless you put your suggestion in the suggestions forum, it'll be lost to time in this thread. Economy is at least 10 years away. Suggestions here will probably be forgotten by next week. :)

~snip

No, no, they're sort of ok with this question if they phrase in such a way as...

"Will the level of interaction with visitor roles in the world eventually be increased to the detailed level of expedition groups?" But yes, any specific 'ideas' like you detail on appealing to adventurers from foreign civilizations & new catapult ammo types can really merit a suggestion thread of its own unless its a question on something Toady (even if it slightly tangental like yours referring to the economy & non-confirmed military arc) has already laid out in his plans.

Also lime-green please, the more concise questions that don't sound like statements usually get notable replies.

Toady has also already replied on thoughts regarding world army reinforcements arriving.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: November 13, 2017, 06:22:02 am »

Are there any plans to add a paid lootbox business model to DF?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: November 13, 2017, 06:44:55 am »

No. DF is always going to be 100% free to play AFAIK.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:28 am »

No. DF is always going to be 100% free to play AFAIK.

Quote from: The Manifestation
!! Buy our season pass DLC now to get early DF release access !!

I think (?) the question was made in jest at the loot box monetized culture, but with paid DF alternatives, keeping it free to play both benefits its drive to keep it patron paid by the community & set it apart from others in the expanding (and maybe peaked with others like Rimworld and atleast 3 other games off the top of my head involving short humanoids) genre.

And uh, without meaning to say this the wrong way, Toady & Tarn are kind of dinosaurs with how they seem to approach this kind of stuff.

OrdinaryWizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: November 13, 2017, 03:45:12 pm »

Like how Magic schools seem to be being implemented, will there be fighting schools for people like adventurers to spar and find meat bags in this area easier. Possibly paying a fee, doing "work"(murder) and sparring for weeks or even make it as if they stay in small dorms off to the side. To make elves not stupid maybe they could be more in tune with magic or have high quality magical objects(would probably kill them for fun) would make them slightly interesting. Oh and an interesting idea in normal world creation is aggression so civilized races will more likely be at war. I'm sorry about my stark raving mad rambling but I'm really full of ideas.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: November 13, 2017, 03:49:30 pm »

Like how Magic schools seem to be being implemented, will there be fighting schools for people like adventurers to spar and find meat bags in this area easier. Possibly paying a fee, doing "work"(murder) and sparring for weeks or even make it as if they stay in small dorms off to the side. To make elves not stupid maybe they could be more in tune with magic or have high quality magical objects(would probably kill them for fun) would make them slightly interesting. Oh and an interesting idea in normal world creation is aggression so civilized races will more likely be at war. I'm sorry about my stark raving mad rambling but I'm really full of ideas.
Please take them to the suggestions forum if you want your ideas to actually be read.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: November 13, 2017, 05:09:32 pm »

1. Will other planes of existence have sites in them? Last FotF reply you said a group of wizards could possibly take over a plane of existence.
2. If other planes of existence have sites on them might settlements and wars on those planes be possible?
3. Will cross planar war be possible?
4. Will it be possible for gods or god like entities to set up sites in their home planes such as holy kingdoms.
5. Will it be possible in some worlds to have a god or godlike entity that goes to the normal plane and rules as a god king/queen/non gender specific ruler.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: November 13, 2017, 05:13:48 pm »

IMO probably a yes to all of those eventually, though some may not be in the initial release.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2739 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:23 pm »

Two questions:

1. Is the bug with sentient body parts being unusable (bones for crafts, or meat for food) slated to be fixed anytime in the next version? I've heard that it was actually fixed for the next release but apparently it wasnt.

2. What exactly does the CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR token do? I thought it made dwarves start fights at random occasionally when drunk but I'm not sure if thats attributed to the token itself or due to arguments that happen in fort mode that the player just doesnt see.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: November 13, 2017, 07:18:54 pm »

Two questions:

1. Is the bug with sentient body parts being unusable (bones for crafts, or meat for food) slated to be fixed anytime in the next version? I've heard that it was actually fixed for the next release but apparently it wasnt.

2. What exactly does the CE_ERRATIC_BEHAVIOR token do? I thought it made dwarves start fights at random occasionally when drunk but I'm not sure if thats attributed to the token itself or due to arguments that happen in fort mode that the player just doesnt see.

1. The undead bug that's going to the fixed is the unkillable undead head part, as far as I understand. Sapient remains being unusable is not a bug as far as I understand, as it would violate dwarven ethics to do use them (and the previous ability to use bones from sapients for crafting being a bug). When elves, goblins, and possibly humans become playable in fortress mode blocking those races from butchery/crafting would be a bug/lacking implementation.
Necro conversion (i.e. raising and re-killing sapient remains de-sapiences them) IS a bug in my view, though.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2741 on: November 13, 2017, 08:05:07 pm »

Actually the sapient parts being unusable is a bug or atleast not intended, since it applies to adventure mode as well to adventurers that shouldn't care about dwarven ethics. In 40.xx you could easily butcher a human or goblin corpse as any race and just plain eat its meat - in the current one you cannot.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: November 13, 2017, 08:37:28 pm »

Actually the sapient parts being unusable is a bug or atleast not intended, since it applies to adventure mode as well to adventurers that shouldn't care about dwarven ethics. In 40.xx you could easily butcher a human or goblin corpse as any race and just plain eat its meat - in the current one you cannot.
If Toady were to spend a few months properly integrating civ-ethics before he starts on myth-gen, I'd be overjoyed.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: November 13, 2017, 08:56:43 pm »

See relevent quote from post here (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg6700479;topicseen#msg6700479):

I don't recall changing anything in particular.  I don't quite understand where the exact barrier is occurring.  I don't recall a wear-based restriction message in adv mode.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: November 13, 2017, 08:59:56 pm »

Of course, that was also a bug as, ethically, only Elf adventurers should have been able to feast on their sapient buddies (and goblin civ goblins if you modded them in).
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 211