Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406647 times)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2775 on: November 19, 2017, 01:09:56 am »

1. If an person breaks the behavior required to get a specific afterlife will there be ways in some worlds to atone for their sins to regain access to that afterlife? Possibly through penance?
Urist McAvatar has lost an Eighth!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: November 19, 2017, 02:31:24 am »

Could also be able to convince people you're a different species if they can't see you while you're talking to them. Like yelling from around the corner that you're totally a big scary minotaur so they should run away. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: November 19, 2017, 09:17:22 pm »

Hi Tarn,

I've recently been trying to teach myself to play the guitar and have been learning to play the DF theme musics. The main theme is very challenging! It is a complicated and nuanced piece and you must be quite musically talented to have written it, let alone play it.

If I may ask, what was your writing/development process like for the main theme? Will we perhaps ever see some more of your musical/guitar work, as additional soundtracks for Dwarf Fortress or otherwise?

Thank you.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: November 19, 2017, 10:27:42 pm »

Salve, o Magnus Bufo!

I get the impression that the upcoming magic framework will draw on a wide range of influences, both historical and otherwise, for its many permutations. Will it include the concept of magical body-parts, as seen in various parts of Africa? These organs might be species-wide (e.g. goblin-tongues having efficacy for illusions) or caste-specific (e.g. beards being used for martial potions) or the result of certain abnormalities (e.g. the livers of albino dwarves combating the effects of alcohol.)

Assuming the answer to my first question is "Yes," will historical figures respond to the existence of mystical organs? Will we see goblin bandits prowling the land for unwitting donors, then selling their finds to apothecaries? Might black-markets pop up as a result?

Anyhow, enough of my rambling. I am ever grateful to you for chiseling away at this bright and blood-soaked gem of a game. Let us hope that Time does not send agents (or just one agent and a pack of war-dogs) to steal it away from you.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: November 19, 2017, 10:48:54 pm »

Salve, o Magnus Bufo!

I get the impression that the upcoming magic framework will draw on a wide range of influences, both historical and otherwise, for its many permutations. Will it include the concept of magical body-parts, as seen in various parts of Africa? These organs might be species-wide (e.g. goblin-tongues having efficacy for illusions) or caste-specific (e.g. beards being used for martial potions) or the result of certain abnormalities (e.g. the livers of albino dwarves combating the effects of alcohol.)

Assuming the answer to my first question is "Yes," will historical figures respond to the existence of mystical organs? Will we see goblin bandits prowling the land for unwitting donors, then selling their finds to apothecaries? Might black-markets pop up as a result?

Anyhow, enough of my rambling. I am ever grateful to you for chiseling away at this bright and blood-soaked gem of a game. Let us hope that Time does not send agents (or just one agent and a pack of war-dogs) to steal it away from you.
Mythgen development start (mostly) is still about 6 months away (rough guess, based on previous post-release bug-fixing periods) so there's a good chance not everything has been considered in such concrete terms yet.

Posting a Suggestion in the suggestions forum would guarantee that Toady will actually see, note down and consider your proposal.

Posting here, unless the idea really has been considered in detail, will most likely result in the response 'yes, maybe, no schedule' and then the idea will be buried.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: November 20, 2017, 02:43:21 am »

Mythgen development start (mostly) is still about 6 months away (rough guess, based on previous post-release bug-fixing periods) so there's a good chance not everything has been considered in such concrete terms yet.
I'm aware of this, but Toady seems to have put a good of deal of forethought into mythgen; enough that he's willing to give talks on it. As such, I figured it was worth a shot.

Posting a Suggestion in the suggestions forum would guarantee that Toady will actually see, note down and consider your proposal.

Posting here, unless the idea really has been considered in detail, will most likely result in the response 'yes, maybe, no schedule' and then the idea will be buried.
That's not the impression I've gotten about the Suggestions forum. I've never seen any indication that Toady pays it much heed. It seems rather vestigial at this point. Still, I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong on this, and there's nothing stopping me from spending a few minutes making a post there, but I'm content to wait a few weeks before doing so.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: November 20, 2017, 03:33:18 am »

That's not the impression I've gotten about the Suggestions forum. I've never seen any indication that Toady pays it much heed. It seems rather vestigial at this point. Still, I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong on this, and there's nothing stopping me from spending a few minutes making a post there, but I'm content to wait a few weeks before doing so.

As I've noticed, yeah.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: November 20, 2017, 04:45:03 am »

He's stated that he reads at least the opening post of each thread in the Suggestions forum. I don't see a reason to doubt him. I think it would be a bit much to expect him to reply to each suggestion, even the ones that aren't iterations.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: November 20, 2017, 08:28:39 am »

Yeah, he's said this several times. You can believe him, or some random forum people who have no idea of what he's doing from day to day. Your choice.

Toady even says from time to time to make sure your suggestion when asked in this thread is also put in the suggestion board because he'll forget about it here. But, hey if you think he's lying, not much point in asking in either thread, is there?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: November 20, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »

Part of it is likely that others suspect he doesn't use the ideas much at all (or at least, not until the idea becomes relevant to whatever he's working on at the time), which leads to a lack of evidence of any attention paid to it. Which, as the phrase goes, isn't evidence of absence, though it can be extremely discouraging to people who make suggestions and have no idea whether their ideas are even given a glance.

That said, given he tends to going to strange moods and focus on one facet of gameplay, the above is understandable. If he tried to juggle every minor "hey, I could probably add this on the side" idea in addition to a current development objective, the risk of more fun new bugs with each update would only increase. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: November 20, 2017, 01:27:11 pm »

Some people are entitled to the fact that if they make a suggestion Toady should at least read it. Imagine the entitlement if he wrote that he liked the suggestion and was going to use it.

Toady does well in avoiding this kind of bother.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:00 pm »

He's stated that he reads at least the opening post of each thread in the Suggestions forum. I don't see a reason to doubt him. I think it would be a bit much to expect him to reply to each suggestion, even the ones that aren't iterations.
Ah right, I'd forgotten about that. That is heartening. Just reading the first post is quite enough in my book.

Yeah, he's said this several times. You can believe him, or some random forum people who have no idea of what he's doing from day to day. Your choice.

Toady even says from time to time to make sure your suggestion when asked in this thread is also put in the suggestion board because he'll forget about it here. But, hey if you think he's lying, not much point in asking in either thread, is there?

Toady lying? I never even suggested that. I simply assumed that he was too busy, as one is wont to be on a decades-long, ars gratia artis project with only one's brother as an assistant.

"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: November 23, 2017, 02:28:07 am »

Well get stuck in everyone, i guess a lot of questions will have been summarily answered by the new release. Time to formulate some new ones for the future (of the fortress) heh.

Charizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: November 23, 2017, 03:24:05 pm »

Why do the inhabitants of an occupied site abandon it and become refugees when you kill the administrator?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:59:12 am by Charizard »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: November 23, 2017, 04:50:21 pm »

Why do the inhabitants of a site abandon it when you kill the administrator?
Why are refugees always sleeping in their tents?

Incomplete games have bugs. Please post them on the bug tracker if they're not there already (pretty sure sleeping refugees/armies is already there). Bugs in games are not part of the upcoming plans (which is what this thread is about). Contrary to popular belief they occur accidentally and are intended to be fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 211