Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406590 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2790 on: November 23, 2017, 06:36:45 pm »

See OP.
The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.  Questions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: November 24, 2017, 11:39:02 am »

What exactly happens when our troops arrive at a site for a raid? I've had a few instances now where my troops will show up at a populated site to raid, only to report back that they couldn't find anything. What exactly are they looking for in a raid? Isn't it just a generic "kill some folks, steal stuff if you can" order?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:44:06 am by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: November 24, 2017, 12:59:22 pm »

What exactly happens when our troops arrive at a site for a raid? I've had a few instances now where my troops will show up at a populated site to raid, only to report back that they couldn't find anything. What exactly are they looking for in a raid? Isn't it just a generic "kill some folks, steal stuff if you can" order?

Toady at the current point hasn't put in any goods siezure to it, but has expressed interest at expanding it as per the possiblities. Its purely artifact related at the moment.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: November 24, 2017, 01:18:31 pm »

Its purely artifact related at the moment.

I'm confused then, since some raids seem to be successful in actually killing some of the inhabitants. Are any killings just an incidental result of them being spotted while sneaking for artifacts?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: November 24, 2017, 08:23:02 pm »

I'm confused then, since some raids seem to be successful in actually killing some of the inhabitants. Are any killings just an incidental result of them being spotted while sneaking for artifacts?
Correct. The ideal result, from the game's perspective, is for your dwarves to sneak in and out undetected. That said, it seems like most of the functionality needed for proper pillaging is there, so hopefully someone will be able to rig something up with DFHack eventually.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: November 24, 2017, 09:41:26 pm »

Problem is I dunno if a skilled and geared squad is more likely to inflict kills. I think I might science up a raider embark dedicated to being able to sent a squad out ASAP.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: November 24, 2017, 09:53:58 pm »

Problem is I dunno if a skilled and geared squad is more likely to inflict kills. I think I might science up a raider embark dedicated to being able to sent a squad out ASAP.
Toady claims that it should, with the caveat that it could well be broken.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: November 24, 2017, 10:24:41 pm »

So far I'm playing around with it. I sent a trio of peasants with no skills or gear and they scored 2-for-2. Then I outfitted a 5-bold squad with obsidian and leather, having started them with competent and average in most skills, AND assigned them half a dozen war animals. The end result was, well...they got one. And in exchange lost a coyote and two bolds.

EDIT: Vanilla testing now, with a 7-dwarf squad in full bronze, no skills. Sent them out after goblins and they can clean house up until they run into the demon running the place.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:16:03 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: November 25, 2017, 06:27:12 am »

Size differences in worldgen battles was also made more to matter, so your kobolds may have well been handicapped by the start, still losing only two is promising that if they were taller they would have managed ok.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: November 25, 2017, 11:43:46 am »

I suppose there will be very soon a new FotF, but before this

For now, artifact are most of the time stored just after created, and never "used" again after, whatever they are. They can just be stolen, or passed over, or given. Is there any further plans for artifacts, as giving them a bigger role (like a legendary sword actually used to kill) or is it the way you have imagined it ?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2800 on: November 25, 2017, 12:49:45 pm »

Artifacts are planned to eventually be magical, so I would imagine that they would get other, bigger roles as well.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2801 on: November 25, 2017, 02:42:42 pm »

Hey toady, update is pretty cool so far, but im wondering, is there a way to ask about an artifact im looking for, it doenst show up in asking for directions.And, what are your plans moving forward with artifacts?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: November 25, 2017, 09:46:34 pm »

Way back when work on this release started, you mentioned that worldgen moods might have a chance of failing, in the dramatic way they do in player fortresses. Did this make it into the release (yet)?

Haven't noticed anything while browsing Legends, but not sure what I'd be looking for. I've noticed some pretty difficult to get hold of materials are being used for artifacts, so I guess they have an easier time of it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:50:20 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: November 26, 2017, 07:44:05 pm »

So, visitors are jumping the gun a little and turning up before you have a tavern/temple right now due to some bug or whatever. That's fine, and I guess you're working on a fix. But my question is, are the early monster slayers also part of this bug? I kind of like that they show up early. I can't imagine monster hunters requiring a room in a tavern before they march off happily into your caverns. Bunch of dwarves about to strike the earth? Can only result in the kind of Fun a monster slayer lives for!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: November 26, 2017, 08:18:29 pm »

It's suspected currently that these visitors are actually exclusively spies.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 211