Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406613 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2835 on: December 01, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »

Interesting as usual.

I've stayed away from them as they are in a nebulous state, if I recollect.  They do make sense as future display furniture.

It was inevitable.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: December 01, 2017, 07:26:50 pm »

Well, that's got me hyped for the next few months! Many thanks, Toady!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: December 01, 2017, 11:13:46 pm »

there's a chunky Montreal talk coming up in the first half of December as well that I'm still composing.
Montreal as in Montréal, Qc, Canada? As part of which event or convention are you speaking?

EDIT: Never mind, found it: http://www.migs17.com/fr/conferenciers-migs17/
That's really cool, I hope I'll be able to attend.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:47:59 pm by isitanos »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: December 02, 2017, 01:17:14 am »

Quote from: ZM5
A question regarding the fix for tree-dwarves that was announced; will this apply to flier pathfinding as well? Would make modded flier civs actually playable, as well as preventing flying animal people visitors from being stuck in mid-air.

I haven't tried it, but some of it is using acrobatic pathfinding floods when your idle code fails, and technically that should get a flier to the ground, but that only applies to your civ members.  It doesn't fix broader issues with flying civs.

That explains why I had a visiting monster slayer that still got stuck in a tree and starved.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: December 02, 2017, 02:05:25 am »

The planar/magical landform rewrite code is likely going to lead to a change to how caverns work as well; might as well clean up all the quibbles there if the underlying structures are going to be roasted.
What sort of quibbles and how far does the notion of a "quibble" or underlying structure extend to? Strictly map-gen related or just "in general" or super secret !!fun!! things you want to do in caverns/underground again?

- Geology-wise: What displeases you most about caves/underground at the present? Absence of features? Difficulty in access or travelling through? Lack of variety in flora/fauna? Bugs and errors, or oddities that are just annoyingly inconsistent?

- Equally, even if you are displeased by something currently, how likely would those things be to actually be DIRECTLY hit by the planar/magical landform re-write? I can definitely imagine something being done like each cavern layer being its own little plane of existence...

- BUT before i go any further with that, i should admit that last paragraph really just begins to sound like a suggestion list of features... It's very easy to get carried away with this. So: How do you intend to say "Ok, that's enough, for now."

- Lastly, about the "rewrite" itself ... If the events in the myth generator specifically influence the map generation at a fundamental "underlying structures" level, how intense of a rewrite would that actually be, without dealing with these "quibbles" at all? Not asking for an ETA, just how many times you'd have to press "delete" or "//" on the code. (Like, a % that would just be "gone" by the end of it.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:13:40 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: December 02, 2017, 02:53:43 am »

Thanks for the reply Toady!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: December 02, 2017, 03:30:22 am »

Quote from: MachinaMandala
In the new version coming up, strange moods are tracked in world generation. Does it only apply to civilizations or could I, say, give gnomes the ability to have strange moods and therefore have non-civ creatures creating artifacts?
Strange moods are currently a creature-level token, hence why I ask about giving it to non-civ creatures.

It happens during the job advancement code, and it's much more common for the crafting professions, especially for weapons and armor in world gen.  So I think they'd need to be at a site with an entity, since job advancement is currently governed by that.

Ah, excellent. That clears some stuff up and explains why certain civs produce stuff a lot more often than others do!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: December 02, 2017, 09:36:17 am »

1. Pillaging-type option practically guaranteed, with unknown specifity depending on how any non-artifact loot options work.  We're flirting with the idea of having a simple administrator and tribute system before we do magic, since it'd be pretty straightforward and the civ screen is underutilized, though I'm not remotely promising anything at this point

2. At some point we should do more with tombs.  We should do artifacts in tombs certainly, to tempt people to raid them.

Interesting, small scale pillaging/site-on-site attacks will seem to replace large & wide national armies for now, or least serve as a prototype.

• With pillaging & site seizing realizations, could [POWER] (and power value) dreams of 'own the entire world' be realised through continuous play on fortress mode eventually?
  • A problem i can see with non-mission based indiscriminate pillaging is weight restrictions carrying your loot home do you have any plans for how fortress players could tackle this issue (ei assigned pack animals) or will feasibly the game will generate caravans for purpose?
Quote from: ToadyOne
Quote from: FantasticDorf
Question 1 - If you are personally in charge of a army in adventure mode (or some kind of abstract fortress mode) will the player have any say in how a battle's victorious result is handled or will it be pre-determined? Such as determining a slaughter of the inhabitants in order to move in your own entity (typically building on top) or integrating them with a forced administrator (alternatively just pillaging/razing the place and running back home) with some small details of additional policy.

It's unclear what is going to happen when we get to that point.  We haven't focused on army or political stuff yet.  I'd prefer if players leading armies get to make the important decisions themselves, but the specifics are up in the air as usual.
  • A while ago in the late July-August FotF response even though the original question was broad in the scope of a full army, how will have this position have changed for the next few releases with outbound dwarf groups and will our pillagers be able to raze a site if they havent depopulated it into a ruin first?
Looking foward to the age of Dwarf or the age of Unity, whichever may be more relevant & tombs sounding like some tasty world generation spelunking. Apologies for so many questions but im eager to put them down whilst they are still fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the replies Toady.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 02, 2017, 12:11:34 pm »

I imagine we'll get quite a few new options, as it's a fun, new screen that has a lot of room to grow quickly with great game benefits.

That's good to hear. Definitely hope see some c screen expansions. 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: December 02, 2017, 03:20:46 pm »

Is it possible for civilizations off the playable map will exist in some form? Could we conceivably have histories where new entities or maybe even new species to invade/migrate to the known world a considerable amount of time after worldgen? Would it be possible in future editions to found a fortress using 'outsider' critters like you can play in adventure mode?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 02, 2017, 04:06:31 pm »

Ooh, yeah, 'outsider fortress/camp' would be a fun one for Starting Scenarios. Having to rely entirely on raiding for basic necessities, unsurness of how other civs are going to react to you, no simple trade due to language issues.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: December 02, 2017, 04:16:12 pm »

Is it possible for civilizations off the playable map will exist in some form? Could we conceivably have histories where new entities or maybe even new species to invade/migrate to the known world a considerable amount of time after worldgen? Would it be possible in future editions to found a fortress using 'outsider' critters like you can play in adventure mode?

Not sure on (outsider critters), unless it is tied to magic being removed/added to the world changing enviroments on a low supernaturalness world in generation being changed as consequences and flooding the world with supernatural monsters & magic etc. Portals will serve for creatures on other planes of reality to enter the DF standard world, EI literal portals to the circus or some magical faeriescape.

There's more of those kind of changes in regards to foreign creatures slated for the law & property arc (for native animalpeople groups such as the subterrean civ) and the hill dwarf arc (for management of sites beside your own)

Limegreen please.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: December 02, 2017, 05:07:32 pm »

Right now, dwarven culture seems pretty OK with fell moods occurring - even though it involves the explicit murder of a sentient creature. Will we ever see dwarves facing some legal repercussions from creating a fell artifact?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: December 02, 2017, 05:51:13 pm »

Of course it's possible (but that doesn't mean it will be implemented [at least any time soon]). There would probably be no technical difference between a portal to another plane and a portal to a distant, otherwise inaccessible, part of the same plane. The big difference between a sea voyage to a remote continent and a portal is that the latter probably is near instantaneous unless something is introduced there. Extending the world to provide in-world access to new remote parts (e.g. via future boats) is probably harder to implement.
Real world examples would be post Columbian access to the Americas and sea access to Australia (What? A 2 meter high hare that jumps rather than runs and uses a bag, a cross between a beaver and a duck, and black swans? Do you thing we're completely gullible?).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: December 02, 2017, 06:21:18 pm »

Right now, dwarven culture seems pretty OK with fell moods occurring - even though it involves the explicit murder of a sentient creature. Will we ever see dwarves facing some legal repercussions from creating a fell artifact?
I imagine moods will be more defined after mythgen. Exactly what has possessed the dwarf? Is it an act of God?
, etc. I can't see it ever being classed as a crime in the current form of dwarven society.  Right now everyone does it (judging from Legends) and the results are coveted by that dwarves family or government.

On the other hand, all those mooding dwarves living in human civs are surely going to have a harder time of it.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 211