Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406457 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2970 on: January 14, 2018, 11:49:35 pm »

This might belong in the suggestions forum but...a number of fantasy stories out there feature mortal heroes that after a lifetime of great feats manage to achieve literal godhood upon their deaths. Might this possibility eventually be implemented into DF (it'd be quite a surprise following an unusually successful adventuring run to find one of my characters showing up in the deities tab of legends mode after a fatal battle with some terrible monster :P)?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 15, 2018, 12:25:47 am »

This might belong in the suggestions forum but...a number of fantasy stories out there feature mortal heroes that after a lifetime of great feats manage to achieve literal godhood upon their deaths. Might this possibility eventually be implemented into DF (it'd be quite a surprise following an unusually successful adventuring run to find one of my characters showing up in the deities tab of legends mode after a fatal battle with some terrible monster :P)?

In some worlds. And in another set of worlds you might achieve godhood while still alive.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 15, 2018, 08:23:22 pm »

1. Will the actual process of casting magic involves casting procedures with as much, less or more detail as the procedures we currently have for performing music, poetry and dancing?
2. In terms of magic derived from gods would the procedures for casting it be interlinked with religious procedures for that god(ex. ceremony's, rituals etc.) ?
3. Will the attributes needed to be talented at magic be different with each magic system(ex. one magic system relying heavily on creativity while another relying heavily on linguistic ability)?
4. Can you please give some examples of procedures required to cast magic for some systems?
5. Can you please give some examples of magical land masses and their implications on magic in that world?

P.S. May I please have a copy of the myth generator showed off at GDC a few years ago for purposes of day dreaming of future releases?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 15, 2018, 09:40:17 pm »

1. Will the actual process of casting magic involves casting procedures with as much, less or more detail as the procedures we currently have for performing music, poetry and dancing?
2. In terms of magic derived from gods would the procedures for casting it be interlinked with religious procedures for that god(ex. ceremony's, rituals etc.) ?
3. Will the attributes needed to be talented at magic be different with each magic system(ex. one magic system relying heavily on creativity while another relying heavily on linguistic ability)?
4. Can you please give some examples of procedures required to cast magic for some systems?
5. Can you please give some examples of magical land masses and their implications on magic in that world?

P.S. May I please have a copy of the myth generator showed off at GDC a few years ago for purposes of day dreaming of future releases?

1 and 2: In some worlds.

3: Yes.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 16, 2018, 04:41:26 am »

5. An example of a magic land formation Toady has mentioned a cosmic egg shell.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 16, 2018, 04:51:19 am »

4. "Plant sacrifice" has been mentioned. Apply rng to first and last words as necessary.

uebersoldat

• Bay Watcher
  • I've got a gut feeling in my stomach...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 17, 2018, 10:53:01 am »

Toady's FPS response really made me sad. It's the one thing preventing me from enjoying this game as I like to have an established fortress but I can't be bothered to play a game at 5-15fps. It's certainly a complaint from many of my friends so I'm not sure how there hasn't been many official complaints unless folks are just scared of complaining about it.

Seems about the only major problem with this amazing game. Of course, Toady owes us nothing, and sure has given us something so I'm thankful for what we have. I just wish I could enjoy a larger or longer-lived fortress. :(

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 17, 2018, 02:31:43 pm »

I think it's been asked before but not specifically in regards to the Focused! status: is there any reason why martial trances seem so rare for adventurers, even in situations where your companions fighting right alongside you activate them, and similarly does being focused/unfocused have any effect on the activation rate?

Could it be related to aiming attacks rather than move-autoattacking or something perhaps?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2978 on: January 17, 2018, 04:15:39 pm »

Toady's FPS response really made me sad. It's the one thing preventing me from enjoying this game as I like to have an established fortress but I can't be bothered to play a game at 5-15fps. It's certainly a complaint from many of my friends so I'm not sure how there hasn't been many official complaints unless folks are just scared of complaining about it.

Seems about the only major problem with this amazing game. Of course, Toady owes us nothing, and sure has given us something so I'm thankful for what we have. I just wish I could enjoy a larger or longer-lived fortress. :(
If you need tips about improving performance: What sort of computer build do you use?
One thing I've noticed when reading about is that DF's bottleneck ussually isn't processor (though having a good processor helps), but rather the RAM read-write access times. If you can get RAM with both low latency and high frequency, it goes a long way.
I've actually been tempted to make a build with CAS latency 3 ram and see how fast that runs things.

uebersoldat

• Bay Watcher
  • I've got a gut feeling in my stomach...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: January 17, 2018, 05:27:58 pm »

If you need tips about improving performance: What sort of computer build do you use?
One thing I've noticed when reading about is that DF's bottleneck ussually isn't processor (though having a good processor helps), but rather the RAM read-write access times. If you can get RAM with both low latency and high frequency, it goes a long way.
I've actually been tempted to make a build with CAS latency 3 ram and see how fast that runs things.

Interesting, but I don't think I'd invest in it unless it were tested and shown to work by Tarn or some technical studies. Reason being is because I've tried many tricks over the years in-game and out and it just seems like so little gain for such drastic measures and time invested. Once a fort is saturated beyond a certain point nothing can bring it back to playable frames. Sure you might get 3-5 frames extra here and there but by and large there is just too much going on and the embark gets too bogged down.

Hope I'm not being too negative nancy! I still love the first 5-8 years...just bittersweet retirement after that point.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 17, 2018, 11:35:03 pm »

What about it made you sad? What I got from it is that he hasn't noticed a significant increase in complaints (not that there haven't been many), besides a few issues introduced in 0.44 which he fixed, and he's aware of other improvements that could be made without a major rewrite (i.e. they're not too hard), and it's an ongoing process, but he doesn't have specific plans to make specific changes immediately.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Nydan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 18, 2018, 05:18:13 pm »

Hmmm, if true has anyone tried https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-optane-technology.html

Might be a winner for DF. I have one coming but it will be going in a new system and my current system is an old i3-2200. (New is i7-8700k)

I wont be able to pinpoint the improvement to just the optane drive.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 18, 2018, 11:19:38 pm »

Yeah, it's sad that if you want to enjoy all that DF can offer you end with your game just becoming unplayable framerate-wise, and to keep the game playable you have to use compromise ( http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Maximizing_framerate )

Hopefully we'll see one day a performance/optimisation development arc as i imagine with more systems and things in the coming development arcs that are going to be added on top of what is already in, there's a point in which all those framerate tricks and self limitations in scale will not help anymore.

Meanwhile hopefully some of the performance actual bugs (like the animals and doors, or moody dwarves stuck in tree/walls destroying the fps by example) will be fixed at some point to help with the path problems.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:22:40 pm by Robsoie »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 20, 2018, 06:49:36 am »

I guess my question is: What is an offcial complaint? Do we like make a petition on change.org or do we like do a letter writing campaign? Do we all like wear little colored wrist bands that we support the cause of better fps?

Also the other thing that ToadyOne said that the fps, even though the game has grown more dense with systems, the fps has stayed about the same. Which to me at least, shows that some form of optimization is done through devolopment. But maybe I'm just too scared of some brothers that making a game for fun that other folks happen to enjoy. I mean one of them has three toes. Thats intimidating as fuck.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 20, 2018, 10:47:48 am »

Are you worried by the general and continuous reduction of activity on the forum for the last 2 years ?

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 211