Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406570 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3000 on: January 23, 2018, 04:36:06 pm »

1. Once our adventurers get to have families if our adventurers have ruler parents would that make them royalty in some civilizations?
2. Will there eventually be an option to play a character at an age younger than adult?(aka child adventurers)
3. How much politics will our adventurers eventually be able to engage in? I know currently we can start sites but will our adventurers ever be able to get administrative roles in other civs such as being a diplomat, general, lawmaker etc?
4. When our adventurers are able to have kids in some civilizations will we be able to try to marry them off to other families for various reasons such as political power?
5. If our adventurers are part of a noble family will there be a chance their relatives will try to marry them off for political power?
6. Can you give us some examples of possible in site housing our players will eventually be able to acquire and some ways they could go about doing it?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: January 23, 2018, 05:34:12 pm »

1. Once our adventurers get to have families if our adventurers have ruler parents would that make them royalty in some civilizations?
2. Will there eventually be an option to play a character at an age younger than adult?(aka child adventurers)
3. How much politics will our adventurers eventually be able to engage in? I know currently we can start sites but will our adventurers ever be able to get administrative roles in other civs such as being a diplomat, general, lawmaker etc?
4. When our adventurers are able to have kids in some civilizations will we be able to try to marry them off to other families for various reasons such as political power?
5. If our adventurers are part of a noble family will there be a chance their relatives will try to marry them off for political power?
6. Can you give us some examples of possible in site housing our players will eventually be able to acquire and some ways they could go about doing it?

I can't say for sure, but besides what's already in the dev notes, there's a good chance that absolutely none of this will have been considered in so much detail yet. Heck, mythgen hasn't been fully planned out yet and that's coming up right after this cycle.

Typically the answers to such far, far future questions are 'Yes, maybe, sounds great. No plan yet'. And 'Please post suggestions on the suggestions thread (where they'll be read and preserved, as opposed to lost forever as all suggestions on fotf apparently are).

For an idea of timeline, politics is part of the 'Scenarios' arc which starts after mythgen. Mythgen looks likely to be split into more than one release. So that's mythgen due to start about 4 months from now (rough estimate). 12-24 months development (typically). 6 months bug fixes and suggestions. Mythgen part 2 (lets say 18 months). 6 months fixes. At which point we'll all probably know a lot more about what's coming up related to politics and society (and whether Boats just became far too exciting to hold off any more, in which case it's more years to wait).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: January 23, 2018, 05:51:45 pm »

How much will the loot crates cost?

Nah, but actually

Is there anything planned to deal with dorfs getting stranded in trees when picking fruit? I lost a lot of dwarves to this already,
 probably two forts worth.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: January 23, 2018, 05:56:50 pm »

How much will the loot crates cost?

Nah, but actually

Is there anything planned to deal with dorfs getting stranded in trees when picking fruit? I lost a lot of dwarves to this already,
 probably two forts worth.

Is that still happening? Was fixed recently.
You should request the bug be reopened and upload a save.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9252
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:04:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Pootis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: January 23, 2018, 11:29:45 pm »

If someone offered to pay you enough money, would you drop everything and work on getting DF multithreading support?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: January 24, 2018, 01:16:58 am »

If someone offered to pay you enough money, would you drop everything and work on getting DF multithreading support?
ToadyOne has spoken about turning down such things in the past. He has also talked about how multithreading probably wouldnt improve DF very much, but hes not very well versed in it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: January 24, 2018, 02:56:42 am »

multithreading requires problems that can actually be worked on in parallel

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: January 24, 2018, 03:15:17 am »

I agree. Most of the FPS issues of DF cannot be adressed by multithreading.
Besides, multithreading brings its own problems.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3008 on: January 24, 2018, 05:34:47 pm »

Given the current state of how dwarves can currently cope with stress extremely well in the long term, how do you see tweaking the stress system going forward?
Is it in it's current state:
-Intentionally, the current dwarven stress resistance (and getting to -999999 stress) with little attention is serving as a baseline.
-On accident, was tuned to an unintentional degree.
-Or in preparation for more intense and common stressors being available in future updates, or a different scaling system upcoming, or similar overhauls?
I am just wondering, because I've been pondering over a mod that makes dwarves more difficult to keep unstressed, and it's really hard to balance with how stress currently works, so I'm just wondering what paradigm you're considering for how dwarves can and should cope with stress.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: January 24, 2018, 10:12:07 pm »

Not an answer to the above, looking forward to hearing more about the stress improvements myself, but previously Toady mentioned that the solution, in the long (long, long) term would be more likely political.

Which makes sense. People in overseer-induced stressful conditions don't all carry on together until they're all so stressed they die. They (often) react against the system. Refuse to work, leave, burn the mayor's office, whatever.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: January 24, 2018, 11:47:27 pm »

Oh no, does that mean our dwarves will eventually be able to revolt against us?

Luckily we still have years to prepare for the inevitable uprising.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: January 25, 2018, 03:56:15 am »

Oh no, does that mean our dwarves will eventually be able to revolt against us?

Luckily we still have years to prepare for the inevitable uprising.
Indeed. Before then we get to watch them stress to suicidal frenzies as our diabolical magical experiments go horribly wrong. This'll be fondly remembered as the Golden Age of DF.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: January 25, 2018, 04:10:34 am »

And Toady mentioned explosive spells that destroy terrain or walls. They might be customizable. I'll just crank the explosive force up to 99999999, and watch my nuke blow up half of a region.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Encrtia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: January 25, 2018, 04:24:57 am »

ToadyOne has spoken about turning down such things in the past. He has also talked about how multithreading probably wouldnt improve DF very much, but hes not very well versed in it.

Gosh darn it. Could you provide citation for that? The multi-threading aspect that is.
I'd join your contribution Pootis :P was really wanting to ask the same question...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:07:03 pm by Encrtia »
~When death smiles at you, just smile one back.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: January 25, 2018, 04:52:50 am »

That has never been a strong suit of mine, There was a fourmite who was just fucking devlish with their ability to link and search through the thread. Its just a common question, with the same answer. But I'll try.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 211