Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406574 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3120 on: February 23, 2018, 02:34:33 am »

So, military tactics, leadership, organization and terrain are all taken into account, which is great, but will the report actually read like a battle, or will it still show as one on one fights?

Reminds me of Aliens as I watch my dorfs and their pets get ambushed one at a time right now. :)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: February 23, 2018, 02:37:37 pm »

Do you have any mythgen update plans on re-adding skeletal undead back into the game? It seems that all undead now are just some variation of a zombie.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: February 23, 2018, 02:39:53 pm »

I just had a thought.

What do you think of the mental image of a snake person in DF wearing greaves?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3123 on: February 23, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »

Do you have any mythgen update plans on re-adding skeletal undead back into the game? It seems that all undead now are just some variation of a zombie.
You do still have skeletal undead, but iirc they aren't explicitly marked as such. A sufficiently decayed corpse (usually ones found in tombs) will be outright skeletal - you can see that via the description (if literally all of their tissue layers are "gone" then its a skeleton).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: February 23, 2018, 08:06:56 pm »

Will the military tactics skill affect combat rolls for on-site squads, or just while they're off on missions?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:19 pm »

I just had a thought.

What do you think of the mental image of a snake person in DF wearing greaves?
Probably just join both of them as a sheet of some kind and slide into it. Like a metal/wood skirt or pant leg.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: February 23, 2018, 08:44:17 pm »

Probably just join both of them as a sheet of some kind and slide into it. Like a metal/wood skirt or pant leg.

Well that's the serious answer and not the amusing answer, yeah. XP
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:39 pm »

Well that's the serious answer and not the amusing answer, yeah. XP
You could always request a crayon drawing with your next donation. Both serious and highly amusing.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: February 24, 2018, 03:49:04 am »

Will the military tactics skill affect combat rolls for on-site squads, or just while they're off on missions?

Technically it already exists in the game, and using third party advanced legends viewers, most generals & kings have some military tactics when you view their skills.

• Can military tactics be transcribed into a scholarly profession and pursuit? To teach yourself the Dwarven art of war like a 2bit Sun Tzu.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: February 24, 2018, 03:59:11 am »

I assume you'd need to implement actual tactics for that. Off-site it's easy enough to abstract the clever tactical decisions and use of terrain dorfs are considering. On-site, they'd revert back to 'crossbows out and charge!'

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: February 24, 2018, 02:43:44 pm »

What form will tribute take and how will it arrive at the player’s fort?

Chests of coins?  Items brought by a caravan?  A line-item entry on the civil relationship screen?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: February 25, 2018, 12:37:17 am »

I assume you'd need to implement actual tactics for that. Off-site it's easy enough to abstract the clever tactical decisions and use of terrain dorfs are considering. On-site, they'd revert back to 'crossbows out and charge!'
That could happen eventually, but in the short term something like an accuracy boost would suffice.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: February 25, 2018, 01:36:05 am »

That could happen eventually, but in the short term something like an accuracy boost would suffice.
Yeah, it would. I guess...
Doesn't really...make much sense though?

I mean, if you're ignoring the combat reports and what's going on on-screen, then yeah, some boost to the chances of your dorfs coming out unscathed at the end of a siege might seem OK in the long-term.
So, how would that work? A boost to anyone in a squad based on their captain's tactics skill? How about the military commander too? And the Champion? The individual dorf? And is that for anyone in the squad wherever they are on the map? Or limited to just those fighting within a certain range of the Captain? Does the boost switch off the moment the captain goes down?

Seems like either a lot of thought, or none at all is required to apply military tactics to on-map battles. And as tactics are generally 100% player-based right now due to the limitations of dorf fighting methods, it kind of seems a bit arbitrary.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: February 25, 2018, 01:11:03 pm »

Are there plans for procedural food? Using the system we already have for describing dances and poems, it might not be that hard to port it into describing food recipes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:11:33 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: February 25, 2018, 01:45:18 pm »

Are there plans for procedural food? Using the system we already have for describing dances and poems, it might not be that hard to port it into describing food recipes.
Recipes were planned for the tavern update, but were postponed along with games. They'll come in, but right now there's no timeline.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211