Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 676420 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3135 on: February 25, 2018, 01:11:03 pm »

Are there plans for procedural food? Using the system we already have for describing dances and poems, it might not be that hard to port it into describing food recipes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:11:33 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: February 25, 2018, 01:45:18 pm »

Are there plans for procedural food? Using the system we already have for describing dances and poems, it might not be that hard to port it into describing food recipes.
Recipes were planned for the tavern update, but were postponed along with games. They'll come in, but right now there's no timeline.
Direforged Mod v1.3b for 0.43.05 (Updated Dec 28th 2016)
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations for 0.42.06 (Updated Mar 27th 2016)
Castle Otu

Lordfiscus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: February 25, 2018, 02:40:31 pm »

Could ghosts be potentially weaponized as a willing action on the ghost's part? For instance, a dwarf who swears to protect the fortress in death and does not hold any grudges against his fellow dwarves. Could one have ghosts that could be commanded to guard certain areas?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: February 25, 2018, 02:42:43 pm »

Now that its effectively possible, if improbable, that one could conquer the world in fort mode, will we actually see civilizations die? Will their refugee pops eventually relocate to other civs or surrender, or perish in the wilderness, to where the civ ceases to exist? Can we be the last civilized race in the world?
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: February 25, 2018, 03:04:51 pm »

It already happens that civs crumble as their sites just become independent non civ sites, and the forces that reclaim lost sites seem to be weaker than the ones that lose them. Currently it has limited effects on caravans, though, although their sizes seem to be smaller when the civ doesn't have any sites. Refugees tend to settle in abandoned sites, so what's needed is more of rebuild (including the rise of new civs out of splinter groups, and ashes of old civs, as well as more reclamation), rather than more destruction. The logic for civ extinction isn't working properly during world gen currently, so it's unlikely it works correctly in the active world either.
Regardless, changes to these areas are unlikely to happen for quite some time, given that other arcs are planned/intended before that.

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: February 25, 2018, 08:05:18 pm »

With the raid options starting conflicts, there are a lot of prisoners around in my games now.

Will there be something to do with prisoners besides keeping them in a room or killing them? Setting them free, with or without weapons, if they go away? Exchanging them for loot or specifical tributes?

I may be missing something, but I don't like genocide being the only option to end wars.
The thing goes on (and worse) with underground creatures and cages: the situation of non speaker learners is particularily chilling. You cannot keep them in your society, you cannot release them peacefully, you cannot send them away, you cannot let the caravan bring them away. You cannot even kill them fast and mercifully - if with a terrible name - with the butcher option.
You get to the paradoxes. The forum is full of stories of dwarven civs that take Troglodyte prisoners and - not using their labor because that would be slavery - seclude them in pits to throw monsters on them and get pleasure by the resulting mess.

Would it be possible to address the intelligent and not so intelligent caged creatures situation, for example offering them the "visitor" status?

That would allow them a choice to stay and contribute or freely go away. It would grant the fortress (and the player) the chance to welcome them in liberty or to refuse their contribution (if offered) too, staying ethnically pure and dwarfy.
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: February 25, 2018, 10:29:04 pm »

Are raid squads and artifact seekers ignoring other armies, megabeasts, husking clouds and so on as they travel across the map right now, or is there a chance of encounters along the way? If there isn't, is anything planned like that for this set of releases?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: February 26, 2018, 03:33:22 am »

Could ghosts be potentially weaponized as a willing action on the ghost's part? For instance, a dwarf who swears to protect the fortress in death and does not hold any grudges against his fellow dwarves. Could one have ghosts that could be commanded to guard certain areas?

Sounds a bit like a suggestion, sorry. But to transcribe it into a more raw FotF format, "Do you have any more plans for supernatural ghosts for future arcs or are you happy with how they are" would suffice.

The Myth arc might give use more leeway if there is the capacity to either directly summon ghosts out of the mythgen afterlife (providing it exists), and how much conciousness/obedience they have for your own little ghost army as supernatural mechanics (including how zombies operate) are expected to change by then along with magic.

Are raid squads and artifact seekers ignoring other armies, megabeasts, husking clouds and so on as they travel across the map right now, or is there a chance of encounters along the way? If there isn't, is anything planned like that for this set of releases?

C screen might become a lot of buttons to be compressed into a 'travel conditions' screen (definitely deserving of a suggestion thread) but monster-hunt questing and chance encounters are definitely Tarn's game basis story subjects, maybe the bigger picture of joining parties will be more obvious to the visibility of a army vs a traveller group, not to say i think personally that all encounters should be unavoidable without rolling stealth if there are open/covert modes for travelling.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:10 pm »

Where are you currently in the release development cycle? Are you still adding features to the artifact update, fixing it's bugs or both?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: February 27, 2018, 09:42:26 pm »

Where are you currently in the release development cycle? Are you still adding features to the artifact update, fixing it's bugs or both?
Both. Next update features bug fixes (according to the tracker) and new civ screen features. There's some buggy raid behavior that hasn't been cleared from the tracker yet, so that'll need to be patched up before bug fixing closes. And adventurer updates are still planned as far as anyone knows. Usually bugs and features are addressed together through to the end of each cycle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: February 27, 2018, 09:55:57 pm »

The latest post on the devlog is 5 days ago. As you can see, the answer is both.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: February 27, 2018, 10:05:40 pm »

Was there a video/audio or even a transcript of your talk at Migs17?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: February 28, 2018, 09:41:07 am »

My 0.40.24 experience was that goblin sieges were staged from the same site and drawing members from that site, regardless of whether the site was under control of another civ or independent, resulting in an end to sieges when the site ran out of warm bodies to send. My current 0.44.05 experience is that the staging point jumps between at least two sites, possibly based on whether the original one is under control of the goblin civ or not. In addition to that, the force composition indicates the involvement of a 3:rd site.
Have you made any changes to the army recruitment and/or army staging logic to explain that (possibly in conjunction with dealing with the army pathing issue)?

Urist McSadist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:33 am »

Just how customizable will the myths be? Could we potentially create our own gods and magic systems, or will it work like world gen?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: March 01, 2018, 02:26:39 am »

Just how customizable will the myths be? Could we potentially create our own gods and magic systems, or will it work like world gen?

I think moddable magic spells have been mentioned, but creating preset gods and stuff if coming in the next update after the first Myth update.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Did you know that cats that have mysteriously disappeared from home can come back after a few months without warning?
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211