Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (New player) - some questions!  (Read 2536 times)

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(New player) - some questions!
« on: July 02, 2016, 02:25:16 am »

Using Lazy Newb Pack.

I've read the quickstart guide, the DF2014 Adventurer wiki article proper, and slain 1 giant jaguar (Xungu Bravetires) and 1 night horror (Anaya Deathurns) on order of the Lady Enthep. So far, so good, I think; but my experience thus far hasn't answered these gaps of my budding knowledge:

- Is there anything / anyone that can go as fast as a Peregrine Falcon Man at top speed? I hope to find a sidekick who can keep up with me... I can't travel at night at all for fear of the bogeymen.
- How many 'turns' does it take to fire a crossbow? Can I speed that up by training?
- Where can I view the racial averages of attributes? (strength, agility, creativity, etc) By the wiki's guidance, I've only thus far known the numbers for humans (1000 for all stats) and dwarves.

Also I think I'm losing my mind ~(Ovo)~

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: (New player) - some questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 03:01:46 am »

- Is there anything / anyone that can go as fast as a Peregrine Falcon Man at top speed? I hope to find a sidekick who can keep up with me... I can't travel at night at all for fear of the bogeymen.
- How many 'turns' does it take to fire a crossbow? Can I speed that up by training?

Also I think I'm losing my mind ~(Ovo)~
Not sure who would be as fast. You can night travel along mountain ranges via slow travel mode. You can sleep in the mountain ranges and along the coasts. You can also build 2 tile structures (1 wall, 1 roof) as shelter against bogeymen.

Training the bow/crossbow can lower that tick count.
1 tick is when you press comma (,)
10 ticks pass when you press period (.)
Just for reference, a dwarf moves 1 tile at 1.000 walking speed at 9-10 ticks.
The cost of firing one shot as a legendary bowman/crossbowman is roughly around 40-50 ticks (an attacker will get to attack you 8 times: 32-80 ticks). A dabbler will take about twice the time, which is an eternity.

Most people, however, would probably advise you to just throw those arrows/bolts as throwing is pretty awesome. You can be attacked up to 16 times as a dabbling bowman/crossbowman during the delay after attack, where as you'll just get attacked 3 times as dabbling archer/thrower during the delay after.

Also losing your mind is fun. Going off to look for it? That's the good stuff.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:41:42 am by peasant cretin »

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 04:00:57 am »

Also losing your mind is fun. Going off to look for it? That's the good stuff.

D: I should think this reaction image isn't new to you! D:

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:30:15 am »

Being a zombie isn't new, but fish zombie definitely is.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:58:45 pm »

(Ongoing conversation)

Oh hey, I see you edited your first reply; thanks, things are a little more clearer.

- I understand a single thrown bolt does less damage than a single shot from a crossbow? (I still appreciate the higher throw rate)

- Can I 'express my values' - all of them - to an NPC to thoroughly know what they value? Might anyone with a low 'truth' value lie about their mindsets?

- How do I increase my 'Dodger' skill fast?

- How do I increase my 'Endurance' attribute fast? Swimming as a Peregrine Falcon man doesn't seem to change anything in the z screen.

- I want a better pair of underpants; preferably briefs or boxers. I've only ever found large clothes (i.e. 'sized for humans'); the clothes I'm wearing now do not have any 'large' or 'small' (sized for dwarves) prefix.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 01:48:29 am »

(Ongoing conversation)

Oh hey, I see you edited your first reply; thanks, things are a little more clearer.

- I understand a single thrown bolt does less damage than a single shot from a crossbow? (I still appreciate the higher throw rate)
Yeah, I re-read what I wrote and it didn't seem all that clear or fleshed out. Glad it's now more helpful.

There doesn't appear to be any appreciable difference in damage. The difference between thrown and archery is rate of fire (throwing is better) and range (archery is better).

- Can I 'express my values' - all of them - to an NPC to thoroughly know what they value? Might anyone with a low 'truth' value lie about their mindsets?
Yes, you can use express values to determine their values. NPC's don't lie yet.

- How do I increase my 'Dodger' skill fast?

- How do I increase my 'Endurance' attribute fast? Swimming as a Peregrine Falcon man doesn't seem to change anything in the z screen.
The fastest way to level skills (to legendary) is to grind them using what is often considered to be an exploit. There's nothing illegitimate about the use of "grinding," but the downside due to your character being much stronger than everything is that you never learn the smaller things that actually keep you alive. If you can one shot everything, you end up knowing nothing. So, I'd discourage grinding.

If you use a skill consistently, you train the skill. The best way to increase Dodger skill is to solely use the multi-attack combo (quick attack + dodge away) when in combat. (One minor thing to add is instead of pressing period to launch the multi-attack, you'll press comma).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also here's a quick combat tick primer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The best/most natural way to increase endurance is to jog. To do that you'll need to do a bit of slow travel. Instead of say fast traveling between two hamlets, use slow travel and set your speed to jog. A more bizarre way to improve endurance (and also toughness) is to swim under a bridge repeatedly. You'll drown temporarily and this will boost both attributes. You will want to have adequate swimmer before you attempt this.

- I want a better pair of underpants; preferably briefs or boxers. I've only ever found large clothes (i.e. 'sized for humans'); the clothes I'm wearing now do not have any 'large' or 'small' (sized for dwarves) prefix.
For better clothes when using an animal person, you can try retiring your character. Prior to retiring, you'll need to remove all of your character's clothing. This way the game will often reclothe your character once you unretire him/her.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:50:52 am by peasant cretin »

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 06:13:28 pm »

What thrown projectile gives the best damage-to-weight ratio? (i.e. light but deadly)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »

Awesome!
- Also I just found out that throwing can be tiring (got the 'tired' status effect after lots of training). Please confirm?

- Lastly for now, can I fly at night high in the mountains (like, near the altitude cap / edge of outer space, maybe?) and not have to deal with Bogeymen?

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 07:44:46 pm »

Awesome!
- Also I just found out that throwing can be tiring (got the 'tired' status effect after lots of training). Please confirm?

- Lastly for now, can I fly at night high in the mountains (like, near the altitude cap / edge of outer space, maybe?) and not have to deal with Bogeymen?
I would guess that most actions are tiring if performed long enough.
Some boogeymen can also fly.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »

Got it
(There's so many more things I have to know...!)

- I want to copy my save data. What files must I look out for?

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 09:25:25 pm »

In data/save/ there will be a region# folder for each world you have. Copy the whole region folder.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 11:08:38 pm »

...Any other files to not forget about? The gamelog.txt, detailing the announcements that had happened so far, is next to Dwarf Fortress.exe instead.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »

If you consider that important you can grab it, but that file would only contain the output from the announcements, the announcements themselves should be in the save. Given that you're using a pack, you should know that any options you've changed will most likely be in data/init/init.txt and data/init/d_init.txt, and tilesets are stored in the data/art folder.

Zyro_Falcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 03:02:02 am »

-How can I tell if a skill/attribute has been maxed out?
-Can you quit without saving?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:57:35 am by Zyro_Falcon »
Pages: [1] 2