Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Mod☼ (v1.08) - Kobold Camp: Murkruin  (Read 5484 times)

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
☼Masterwork Mod☼ (v1.08) - Kobold Camp: Murkruin
« on: July 03, 2016, 01:45:55 am »

Gonna start up a little Kobold camp up for people to come and have a gander at. Hopefully it will be something with peoples interest. This is not a tutorial or anything, but I;ll do my best to explain how I am doing things.
As an important Note, I AM planning to turn on picks for the Kobolds, but I plan to only use them for three purposes.

1: Digging in dirt, for simple rooms for my dozens of kobolds,
2: Gain access to clay/sand if not readily available for me.
3: I will embark on a Cave, and within the cave and caverns, I will only dig two things. Gemstones from the walls, as well as, if I manage to find some, Cobaltite.

These are both mostly for roleplay purposes. (personally I think Kobolds should have some limited Digging, but the implementation behind this was shown to be kinda broke in the old Masterwork, and) IF I ever get to that point, I will try and dig a single stairwell down to the deeper caverns, if a link does not already exist. Also, IF I happen to get a migrant to my fort that suits the idea for roleplay purposes, I will allow myself to start digging stone/ore. I will endeavour to make sure Kobolds do not do any of these tasks related to Masonry or the Metal Industry

Anyone that wishes to be one of the brave and the 'bold, feel free to ask and I'll try get to it, (once I start getting migrants in more).

Alright, time for the world gen information!
Our World, is the Everlasting Planets. It has been 50 years since recorded history has begun.

The current populations of the world are as follows

Naga – 1327
Ferric Elves – 782
Succubi – 781
Kobolds – 455
Nagas – 453
Pandashi – 347
Human – 339
Elves – 295
Greater Badgermen – 253
Orcs – 212
Dwarves –207
Beak Wolves –120
Putrid Blendecs – 92
Dark Stranglers – 39
Goblins – 10

Kobolds currently have two civs that are active and thriving. The Slow Ulcers (pop. 299), and the Confidence of Blotting (pop. 103). We are going to be part of the proud civilization of the Slow Ulcers. Let us delve in and see what interesting things have happened in their storied history.

Among our leaders, one stood out in particular, Onana Cresttoasts. He was born in the early year of 7, and led our civilization as chieftain from 11, all the way to the year...45. Seems over the decades there was much suspicion about his apparent agelessness, but thriving under this ruler, few did anything about it. He brought them through two wars with the Naga of the Searing Immortality, fought to a stalemate with heavy losses on both sides. The Slow ulcers won many of the battles, but the Searing Immortality made sure they were hollow victories. However, the venerable Onana Cresttoasts was struck down in the year 45, struck by a Plump Helmet Man of the Searing Immortality.

Hopefully, our new, soon to be settlement, will be able to extend the reach of our tribe far beyond our single meager cave of The Myth of Alliances.

The Field of Voice where I plan to embark is not too bad. I do tend towards the hotter temperatures where I don't have to worry about freezing water sources. A nice cave sits central to our home so we may build around it. Looks like a perfect place to set up our new home. Now we just need to gather our belongings, and set out!

EDIT: Its actually HUMANS that are the settlement beside me...whoops.

Now, it is time to head out. Onwards, The Abbey of Drawls, towards your new home on the Cave of Friendlygutters.

Honeanono - Murkruin

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork Mod☼ (v1.08) - Kobold Camp: Murkruin
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:47:45 am »

After a long journey, slogging around the large body of water known as the Oceans of Melting, the kobolds of the Abbey of Drawls have finally arrived. The place is perfect. More than enough trees to set up the work-tents that they needed, as well as both sand and clay in the earth below their feet, ready for the kobolds to work their crafts upon it

Ground Level

One level up (to show the trees better)

Our Kobolds, atop the mound of the cave, with their livestock.

A strange being has been…living in this cave before us?

Apparently, this Beak Wolf, is one of the Lawgivers of The Remarkable Turmoils, a Beak Wolf Civilization that consists of…..Himself, and one other Female Beak wolf. They don’t seem to be doing well as a civ, and it seems that Esmor is prone to wanderlust. He’s had many adventures in his 45 years of life, including two encounters with Hags which he managed to escape from unscathed, the settling of Friendlygutters several years prior, before going on another adventure where he tamed a Giant boa constrictor he took on his journeys. Despite being marked as Hostile, he does not seem to hold any interest in fighting any of the intrepid kobolds on the land he ‘settled’ in. Let’s hope he stays fairly cordial as we set up camp.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 03:16:44 pm »

Did something incredibly stupid, so I’m going to make the one itty bitty cheat to get off the ground, and DFHack myself in a Fungiwood training axe. I had points to spare, just due to some restarts kept needing to re-work my embark profiles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

First order of business, slaughter all but one of my Male Jack Rats, whom until the next Baby Male Jackrat Grows up, will be designated as our Breeder Rat. Breeding so fast, it’s even worthwhile to slaughter most of the Male Jack Rats as soon as they are born.
After setting up the butcher, and tanning a few hides, we must set up a refuse Pile, with a Bone Chipper next to it. We need to Fortify our position, and do it quickly. We shall not waste anything the Jack Rat provides! The Walls will hopefully be complete soon, and afterwards, we can begin making Traps from the bones of our Jack Rats!

With the Trapsetter built, as well as the Leather Upholstery, It is now time to make living her a little more comfortable. A Well is built, and Leather will soon be made into some simple beds. Jutting off the side of the hill, a little Dorm and eating area will be built, hopefully sufficing until later in the year. Now, hopefully if the First Traders of the year come, I should begin start building spiked balls to sell. The Kobolds back in the Home tribe love themselves some good spiked ball traps.

One Kobold goes into the cave, both to explore, and to board up the cave’s deeper reaches. Caves are treasure troves, but every Kobold knows that there are just as many things that could kill you in the depths of the earth, as there are above ground. While boarding up the tunnel, a cry of jubilation sounds out.

Such a beautiful blue hue…we must have it to bedazzle our camp! The Tavern yes! People will come from many days walk around to marvel at our beautiful Tavern of Blue!

Kahlish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 02:32:14 am »

PTW, looks very interesting !
I like how you tell the story so far. If you can, please dwarf bold me as a bonecarver named Kahlish !

Strike the Dirt !

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 02:57:46 am »

Just as a note: I could make kobolds dig only soil (and gems and cobaltite), but that would mean all races can only dig soil, gems and cobaltite. It would only be of interest to people that play kobold mode and no other playable civ in a world, but I could make this an option in the GUI. 
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 02:58:56 am »

Just as a note: I could make kobolds dig only soil (and gems and cobaltite), but that would mean all races can only dig soil, gems and cobaltite. It would only be of interest to people that play kobold mode and no other playable civ in a world, but I could make this an option in the GUI.
Making kobolds only dig dirt would actually be an O.K idea.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 04:46:23 am »

If you could do this stuff as an additional option in the Kobold Menu, it would be very much welcome. I think it is very thematic, to only allow them dirt, gems, and the ore that shares their namesake.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:00:31 am »

Its easily done, only one tag. I add UNDIGGABLE to the stone_template and make cobalite use another template. I put it in my list.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 01:42:43 pm »

The following are writings from the journal of Ontohinta, During the early Summer of year 50

Curses upon curses! The lovely azure ore eludes us! Three deep veins in the cavern walls, but it appears none of our number can heft the pick that our tribe back in the Cavernhome nicked from the Stout ones! Perhaps we just need to wait, yes…But the brilliant blue...It’s soo lovely and tempting, and the gems that stud the walls nearby cry out to be worked by our hands. It’s maddening, maddening I tell you!

On a less maddening note, we have reached the caverns perhaps when the new Influx of migrants come along, we shall send down someone to hunt the creatures of the caverns for more bones with which to construct our walls? Maybe those panda or badger folk? They seem strong, yes. Not another beak wolf like this oddball that seems to simply lounge atop the cave mound, basking in the sunlight. Is a strange Beak wolf, growling at us when we get near, but never doing more than giving us scornful looks, yes. Hopefully it stays that way. Perhaps we could lure him to our front gates at some point? Well, when they get built of course. More Jack rats are needed, yes.

Our first living space is coming along nicely, yes. We are building a nice leather roof tent for us to gather under to eat our meals. Our Woodcrafter is working to make us many  tables and chairs for the kobolds that are sure to flock to our camp, yes! If only we had more bones to carve. We indeed do need a hunter, to start killing the bountiful game around us. We should also set up a poison vat, as well as a Farmer Workshop, and start milking out Precious Helmet Snakes for their Venom. As an aside, we need to make a place to hold the Helmet Snakes so they do not wander off on us, yes.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:49:21 pm by chaosfiend »

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 02:42:43 pm »

From the journal of Ontohinta, Summer of 50

What happened? Some buzzards flew into our camp, and in the fighting, it appears that our cook has died, whittling out number down to six. I’m not sure what happened, but our Leatherworker and the Beak Wolf seem to be soaked in blood…and the latter seemed to be gnawing on a kobold hand for a while. Probably a coincidence, yes.

Spurred on by this death however, enraged the camp, and we managed to overwhelm and punch several of the blasted buzzards to death! Teach them to steal from thieves!

Mere moments afterwards, we got our first influx of 8 new migrants, and our first birthing of Jack rats! There will be a feast tonight and building of the wall in the morn!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:07:56 pm by chaosfiend »

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 03:38:21 pm »

Posting to Watch the inevitable !!FUN!! Can you bold me as a Warrior named Pun-Pun?

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 04:35:37 pm »

Of course, I’ll start ‘bolding up some people very soon! And I’m sure we will start needing a proper warrior of that strength too, for…..

-------------------------------------------------
From the Journal of Onotohinta, Autumn of 50

Oh gods in high! The dead are walking among us! Quickly! Finish up the walls and drag the new Giant bark scorpion forwards towards the opening! We have to be quick about this or else Murkruin will fall, yes!
…It is a day later and nothing has happened. Our Hunter goes out to shoot darts as a bull that has been meandering about outside, and when he returns to gather ammunition, he spoke that there were no undead outside our doors, or any other strange abominations, yes. Several days later after finally felling the Cow, and bringing bounty for our camp, he spoke that there were a few faint footprints in the grass near the borders of our claimed land, as well as a strange book with a cover of rutile.

Of course, as the most learned in our Tribe, I will of course need to keep look after this strange book, yes. Perhaps I should build myself a home in which to study it more properly, yes?

The New Bonecarver, Kahlish has taken the burden from my shoulders, yes, and has been working around the clock carving up the bones of our jack rats and whatever animals our Hunter can gather into blocks. Our Walls are finally complete, and we start work on a Raising bridge in the next week. My vision however, is far more magnificent. Each time I read it, I feel nauseous, but still, the tome speaks to me…. Of building a wall of bone, ten feet high, topped by Fortifications so we may rain darts down upon any who may oppose our Camp! It is most brilliant, yes!

-------------------------------------------------

I beleive what happened when the dead walked on, there were only two corpses, and one Necro, and when they saw there was 4 times their number in Kobolds, they ran. I recall that being part of the mechanics, and I hope I'm not mis-remembering.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:37:51 pm by chaosfiend »

Kahlish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:05:41 am »

That's a fun one. "By Armok, there are at least 6 Kobolds there ! Flee, my minions, flee ! Don't grab that book, THEY MIGHT TICKLE US!"

By the way, that book, it doesn't have the secrets of life and death, right ?
If it does, you know what to do. Nekrobold camp.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 03:44:17 pm »

That's a fun one. "By Armok, there are at least 6 Kobolds there ! Flee, my minions, flee ! Don't grab that book, THEY MIGHT TICKLE US!"

By the way, that book, it doesn't have the secrets of life and death, right ?
If it does, you know what to do. Nekrobold camp.

Hah, if only, sadly that book contained stuff on...emotomancy. I mean, I can see it would be kinda useful...but NOT pretty to look at.

Also, sorry for the lack of posts. I'm hit a massive snag that leaves me crashing at random through the winter. The one time I made it through the Winter, it crashed RIGHT as it was making the save. I'll keep trying till about Monday to see if I can power through it all.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 05:01:00 pm »

From the Journal of Onotohinta, Late Autumn of 50

The cold times have begun. There is a chill in the air now at the nights. The ones within the dormitory complain of a chill, seeing as there are three open walls. Something we must fix, yes. Perhaps to distract them, we should start making delicious meals in the kitchen? Maybe warm food in their belly will stop the complaints about the cold, yes. The progress on the walls goes good as well. Already ten feet high in some places. All who look upon this wall will despair at how impregnable our camp is, yes!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From the Journal of Onotohinta, Early Winter of 50

A horrible thing has occurred when I woke this morning. I went to get a drink of water, and the well was nothing more than a pile of smashed timbers on the ice. Our water supply is gone! Upriver is a small area that is warm, perhaps heated by a natural spring or something. But it is too far aways from the safety of our walls. This means we will have to do something drastic that I was dreading…We will have to start partaking of booze for the winter. I only hope that when they drink of the foul stuff none of our number stumble and fall through the ice of the frozen river. Perhaps we can make a stockpile of the stuff just so we may burn it for fuel in the spring.

Among our last batch of migrants was a female, who claimed to be an expert setter in gems. However, what the viper sign had not told us, was she was a well-trained warrior as well. At least, so she claimed. She spoke of no kills that she had made over her apparent career as a warrior, but the way she handles her self, and the confidence she has....perhaps she will  make good on her ancestral name of the warrior of old, Pun-Pun.

We also finally managed to set a nestbox up for our Helmet snakes, and soon as we did, we had some eggs. Now to sit and wait and hope they hatch. We will be needing plenty of that venom soon.

----------------------------------------------

Finally, I overcame whatever was causing me to crash so much. What happens in late winter will be posted by tomorrow!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:55:47 pm by chaosfiend »
Pages: [1] 2