Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slyce - A 14x14 Almost-ASCII Tileset  (Read 5722 times)

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slyce - A 14x14 Almost-ASCII Tileset
« on: July 03, 2016, 02:55:01 am »

Since I haven't seen any other 14x14 sets, I'm sharing my own! I made it because I'm super picky about font size and appearance - I have trouble reading pure ascii text due to the spacing, find 16px too large, 12px too small, and both 13px and 15px too blurry. This is an edit from the 8x14 EGA font, as posted here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository#8.C3.9714 (forgive me I'm still learning forum coding)

So presenting Slyce!
A tileset featuring (very) subtly shaded terrain, bright leaves, rounded walls, custom dwarf and adventurer tiles, and wall/floor patterning that only shows up when engraved*. Requires changing the pillar and tree trunk tiles to 255 (don't forget to change the tile for cap-type trees! my apologies if I changed any other tiles and forgot, they would have been changed long before I made this)

*And on wounded creatures and the elevation bar when above ground. Works best with a colour scheme using pure black. Might work with very very dark colours, but I tried it with a handful of Vherid's palettes to check and it didn't hold up well. Sorry to those who aren't a fan of high contrast. I can make edits for specific colour schemes if there's interest.

Caverns:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Walls and Floors:
Trees, Terrain, and Farms:
Text:

and if anyone's interested, my colour scheme:

There you have it! I have some simple racial graphics in this style in the works but those will be a while. Feedback appreciated!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Slyce - A 14x14 Almost-ASCII Tileset
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 07:29:29 pm »

I like it, one of the things I always do with sets I use is toss in those translucent ground tiles, it's just so pretty with varied ground like that.

If you feel like it, tossing in the other translucent bits I use on my +1 sets gives the pretty worldmaps too, a couple on the top row, the cabinet, the statue.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:31:50 pm by Max™ »

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 06:04:24 pm »

Thanks! I prefer my cabinets and statues to match the rest of the tiles though - I spend very little time in adventure mode or creating new forts, and it would bug me ingame to see that little square standing out. I could create a variant tileset though. I'll have to drag out my files when I have some time and tinker with it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 06:30:14 pm »

Hey, I feel ya, that's why I keep the .xcf's handy so I can whip up the clean white sets in GIMP if someone wants em, or flip the shading layers on for my preference.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »

Is there any disadvantage to putting highlighting on the two negation (tendrill/withered plant) tiles?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:46 pm »

Nope, in fact it makes evil regions much nicer looking having a writhing carpet of purple instead of black with little purple bits moving in it.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 12:14:36 am »

carnivorn, are you okay with your tileset being bundled with Lazy Newb Packs?

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:45:40 pm »

Alright so I've discovered that I can't make my engraving trick work with other colour schemes. At all. Ever. Learned some things about how colour works in DF tho, which makes it worth the time spent on that! Here's the two edits that did work out:

Left is the same as before, without the engraving trick. Compatible with colour schemes that don't use pure black, looks the same otherwise.
Right is meant for worldmaps and embark screen - if it gets used as a default tile in maps, it's got white transparency on it. 5% opacity as opposed to 2% in the first version I posted. Should be pretty easy to mix and match to your heart's content, also has some non-map tiles for consistency.

Ingame comparisons:

Misc. screenshots with the maps tileset:

And for the heck of it, the full worldmap for that world :

I ended up keeping it, I haven't tried an evil ocean embark before. Can't wait to get eaten by zombie whales :P
Groundcover in good regions looks pretty neat with the maps tileset, but I haven't found an evil region with non-standard grass to match. Will post screenshots when I do! (the evil grassland northwest of center has normal grass. And beakdogs. Lots of beakdogs. I may have gotten carried away with playing instead)

carnivorn, are you okay with your tileset being bundled with Lazy Newb Packs?
ngl I'd be thrilled!

7 Aug 16: Edit! Finally found an evil biome with wormy tendril etc. while attempting a good/evil boundary embark. Thought it'd be a great example image, took two pics of the same spot a few frames apart.

Screenshots:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:58:16 pm by carnivorn »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 10:17:58 am »

Yeah, I like the way the maps look with the translucent white/black tiles mixed in.

carnivorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 08:13:24 pm »

Just dropping in with an 8x14 version:

Works nicely for TWBT! There's some differences between this and the EGA tileset I based mine on that were bugging me. Took out the pillar tile since it wouldn't be used for text (and that tile is supposed to be blank if it did get used).
Aaaaand I think now I've made + posted all the variations I wanted to! Can't seem to wrap my head around coding for individual species/racial sprites, so as it stands this is a completed set. Back to lurking for me.