Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: [Players needed] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence  (Read 14271 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
Re: [Gathering players] CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 01:57:43 pm »

Hello back !

I was on vacation for the week-end, no internet...

I think gchristopher, you can take the fort for year 2. Gwolfsky, I can put you on year 3 if that's ok :)

For the version, if it was updated for 43.05, then it's better to keep it.
So play in 43.05.

As for dwarf therapist, I haven't check if new memory layouts are out.
If they aren't, I will keep up to date a list of dwarves/skills in the OP, so you don't have to spend to much time figuring out who does what :/
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 04:55:48 pm »

yeah, year 3
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2016, 05:06:45 pm »

Spriggans: Could always use custom professions or nicknames, like before DT.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 05:26:43 pm »

Okay, I'll get started shortly. I'll have to go through the whole roster anyway, as part of the traditional "my God, what was the previous player thinking?!?!?" phase of picking up a succession fort.

Since it's only been one year, the madness is less than a longer fort, but there's still unreachable hallways, a 2x21 area of open space in what seems to be intended as the living space, lots of tiny, confusingly placed stockpiles, not enough wood for a spring migrant wave to have beds, and the fortress is completely open to attack, with no plan for any defenses. So, all in all, pretty normal!

On the plus side, most industries are alive, and there's blocks and beds and whatnot!

It's a lovely little embark, great material variety, very safe, and has surface hemp plants! (Cultivation of hemp is going to be critical to eventually establishing a life of leisure, I bet.)

The only downside is lack of an aquifer for easy water sourcing. Also, I wish towers were more of a reliable threat. Necromancers aren't a renewable resource, sadly.

Here's the skill/dorf situation as of the beginning of year 2:

'Cattan' Ustuthzursul: Miner, Engraver
'Spriggans' Iklistzon: Carpenter, Weaver (Rusty)
'Imic' Tomemlibash: Mason, Stone Crafter
'TheFlame52' Domasmusar: Weaponsmith (Rusty), Armorsmith (Rusty)
'Bembul' Zanegsakrith: Cook, Architect
'McGee' Kubuklin: Brewer, Grower
'Gwolfski' Thikutzuden: Clothier, Mechanic, Bookbinder (Three skills including Bookbinding ("whyyyy???") has jumped to the top of the list to have an accident from overwork.)

We will need more dorfing requests!

edit: First pick is going to be Glassmaking for desperately needed trap components. Need a dorf name, if that's too useful for Sanctune. Also, need to get Wood Cutting and Furnace Operating assigned somehow, which will require some workplace safety issues to crop up, I guess.

edit2: Holy carp, that's a long ways down to magma. It'll be a challenge, but I think a major priority will be bringing the forges up. Hauling crap up and down those stairs will take forever. Can it be done without a pump operator to fill carts? I actually don't know. At a minimum it'll require furnace operator for iron bars and metalcrafting for minecarts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:53:55 pm by gchristopher »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2016, 05:51:55 pm »

Dont even try to kill my dorf, fatalaties shall ensue.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2016, 10:58:12 pm »

Haha, umm, okay? I'm not attached to any of the little lazy buggers surviving. Really, it'd be most sensible to kill the entire starting 7 to spread the skills one apiece among arriving migrants, but that's a little excessive.

Are you planning on doing a writeup of Year 1? I'm about ready to start writing about Spring, but I'd rather let you post your story first. I see some kangaroos died, and I bet you already had a visit from thieving (but adorable) Kobolds. What else happened? Any reasons anyone got their names?

Can I request a dorf who does the most minimal labor?  I am thinking Pump Operator and Wax Worker.
How about a Skilled Cheese Maker who takes up Furnace Operating out of a lack of milk? I'd love to have a Pump Operator, but that'd bump Spriggans onto the kill workplace accident list to trade out Weaver skill. That's probably not in the cards for year 2.

edit: ps. the Queen is a Pump Operator!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:40:47 pm by gchristopher »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 03:35:00 am »

Well... You made yourself very prone to unfortunate accidents there :)
Clothier / bookbinding (and the useful mechanics, right)... When the army of the deads shall invade, and metal will be desperately needed, the two forementionned skills will look very juicy I believe.

that'd bump Spriggans onto the kill workplace accident list to trade out Weaver skill. That's probably not in the cards for year 2.
" No ! I'm the carpenter ! I am very important ! Carpentry is essential for a fort ! Beds ! Beds for everybody ! Hoo... right we need wood... Trade it in ! I can make beds ! I can be useful !"

EDIT :
I queued myself for year 4 :)

EDIT 2 :
Altered the rules because I saw an exploit :

"Nobles. Nobles are not fit for work. Any noble on the "Nobles" screen cannot be assigned any labor. If they have labors, they loose these. Exceptions are : Expedition Leader, Militia Captain, Militia Commander, Mayor; these are fit for work and can have labors on."

I added the "they loose these" part, since it was possible to pass labors before.
Also, I added Mayor in the exceptions, because it would be to harsh to loose skills due to random dwarven elections.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:02:18 am by Spriggans »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: CurseKnowledge - The fort of incompetence
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 07:52:55 am »

we have a armor/weapon smith guy, the next guy just needs to assign furnace operating to someone, we have a furnace operator migrant, assign it to him. If you need mechanics/clothes done, unasign Gwolfski from library when needed. there is a lever under the bridge, but i didnt have time to complete it.

and i repeat, books are valuable trade goods!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 07:58:12 am »

So what you're saying is that an overseer should crank out 200 beds and then kill the carpenter? :P

I have yet to see a book get 5-7 digit sums, Gwolfski... :p But share instructions on how to mass-produce books with us? I'd love to have them just so I can do something silly like hang them from the trees.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 08:00:35 am »

I think one thing to also do for a new year would be to assign one wood-cutter (from a new migrant), cut all the trees of the map, kill the wood-cutter, and assign his point to a more long term skill.

Cutting all the trees of the map would give hundreds of logs, which will be used for important things (like moods). We'd Better anticipate and have wood 'o plenty.

So what you're saying is that an overseer should crank out 200 beds and then kill the carpenter? :P
I can be whatever the fortress needs :P
If you end up killing a starting seven, rename one of his successors after him. Like "Spriggans the 2nd" or somthing like that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:09:49 am by Spriggans »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 10:39:47 am »

Pump Operator would be useful now to fill that magma minecart. 

Otherwise, you can just a mechanic to setup magma cister -> raising draw bridge -> minecart room -> raising draw bridge -> drain.  But waiting for that 1/7 magma to evaporate takes a season sometimes. 

I'll take any combo of Pump Operator/Metalsmith to be useful early, and be lazy the rest of my days

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 01:24:32 pm »

I think one thing to also do for a new year would be to assign one wood-cutter (from a new migrant), cut all the trees of the map, kill the wood-cutter, and assign his point to a more long term skill.
Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Same with the plant gatherer. Gwolfski made a very nice 5x5 covered Outside area that will be fantastic for farming year-round above-ground crops.

If you end up killing a starting seven, rename one of his successors after him. Like "Spriggans the 2nd" or somthing like that.
Will do! The next one I'm starting to worry about is grower/brewer. Those are both jobs that could consume a dwarf full-time, as the population spikes. Wow, this challenge can get hard fast. Good idea, Spriggans!

Otherwise, you can just a mechanic to setup magma cister -> raising draw bridge -> minecart room -> raising draw bridge -> drain.  But waiting for that 1/7 magma to evaporate takes a season sometimes. 

I'll take any combo of Pump Operator/Metalsmith to be useful early, and be lazy the rest of my days
That is exactly the plan, only I'm hoping to set the carts onto a grate, so once its drained, they should be instantly available. (Still, that's a lot of setup that has yet to happen.) There is a Metalsmith, and now he'll be Sanctume!

If Gwolfski isn't doing a writeup, I'll start mine soon. Here's a few major Spring events:

- Elves brought 15 logs.
- 22 Migrants arrived. (Yikes!! I'd treat them as disposable, but I don't have happiness as well understood as if I'd had therapist.)
- Most critically, the migrant wave included a High Master Glassmaker, who got that labor assignment slot. That means traps, magma-proof furniture, and trade goods. His average trap should be worth 1000, and masterworks are 3000, so by summer/fall, we should be able to buy out food/booze/plants from caravans if the single grower/brewer can't keep up with the rapidly growing population.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2016, 02:07:27 pm »

mass produce books: Obtain some original copies (invaders, guests, scholars write some) Assign some scribes to library. Provide writing material. Set copies made (in the 'l'ocation settings to 100 or something silly like that. profit.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 02:50:55 pm »

mass produce books: Obtain some original copies (invaders, guests, scholars write some) Assign some scribes to library. Provide writing material. Set copies made (in the 'l'ocation settings to 100 or something silly like that. profit.
Haha, that's crazy. I like it. Very dorfy.

How much does one book sell for, assuming you won't have masterworks any time soon? (A superior green glass spiked ball is 1008 and takes 1 bag of sand and 1 labor, but that is arguably a cheesy method. Masterwork is 3024.)

Though, in a limited labor fort, how were you planning on getting all the labors for paper, thread and quires, is pretty mysterious. That's about the most labor-intensive trade good around, in a fort where you don't have the laborers. (You need: plant processing for thread, papermaking, bookbinding, or maybe wood burning, butchery, lye making for parchment, plus a crafter for quires? That's impressive and very dorfy.)

I'll try to leave things in a state where you can pick back up on that effort. I'll try to get hemp started for year-round paper and thread, and hopefully move the forge/smelter/glass furnace up so you can have metal or glass quires.

Are you going to write up a story for year 1? I don't want to start writing without you having the chance to describe how things were before I started.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:14:02 pm by gchristopher »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2016, 03:15:28 pm »

What's the population at ?
Were the 22 migrants the big migration wave of year 2 ?

We need to set up an effective killing device. A crushing bridge could be the easiest.
And we can engrave the deads with Catten's engraving :)

I feel like it's okay to reshuffle skills using this eventual bridge  :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10