Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Spoilers ?] Thalu Bowelforest The Bane of Trees' demon-slaying escapade  (Read 7099 times)

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the story of an elf. But not just any run of the mill, pansy, vegan, tree-loving, hippie elf. No, this one elf was very different from the others. From the day of his birth, Thalu always had a profound disgust for nature (especially for trees) and peace, much prefering violence and power to this whimsical nonsense other elves seemed to love so much. After committing several tree-desecrating acts in his village, Thalu was dubbed "The Bane of Trees" by the other elves and was hereby banned from the village.

Shortly after being chased away from his birthplace, Thalu "The Bane of Trees" stumbled upon a Dwarven fortress. For him, it was like a new beginning. These people seemed to detest nature almost as much as he did, and respected only combat prowess (and booze consumption). Quickly becoming friends with the rough, bearded denizens of the fortress, Thalu managed to obtain an iron great axe, a shield, and a heavy supply of booze before setting off again. It was the first time he had seen an axe, as they were absolutely forbidden in elven civilizations. Instantly, he knew what he had to do. He returned to his village and went berserk, felling elves and trees alike, thus earning the name of Bowelforest (after spilling so much guts that the entire forest was covered in it).

The violent (and awesome) elf then went on many great adventures, slaying countless fearsome beasts, bringing necromancer towers to ruin, recruiting followers from all over the world and building Dangerbreach the Tower of Glory, an immense tower housing himself and his many companions, standing just next to a goblin fortress.

Now that the introduction is done, let us begin with the gist of the story.

Over the course of my adventures, I have managed to gather quite a crowd of followers. 42, to be precise. Most of them are simple peasants, but that doesn't make them any less skilled : To train them, I went to a Bronze Colossus lair and let them hit it until it died (without giving them steel weapons), thus probably raising all their respective weapon skills to legendary or a little bit below. I have also raised their discipline by exposing them to the MASSIVE amout of goblin corpses and severed body parts that lay around Dangerbreach the Tower of Glory. We are currently in the top floors of a goblin dark fortress, ready to overthrow whatever demon might be in there (it's not the one next to Dangerbreach tho, that one didn't have a demon overlord for some reason.) They couldn't be any more prepared for this. (Actually, they could, if I bothered to give a shield to each of them but eh, it's whatever.) [Here I used dfhack's reveal command to get a good group pic, but I don't usually use commands at all.]

I'm also pretty good myself, boasting legendary skill in several military skills (and competent woodcutter !) as well as superelven physical stats (not that it means much tho, elves are pussies). I'm wielding a steel great axe of exceptional quality (not masterwork though :v) that I found in that dwarf fortress from the beginning and a copper shield. My armour consists of a copper breastplate, a copper mail shirt and several layers of clothes.

As we advance to the next floor, we finally meet the demon. It boasts a sick, twisted appearance, somewhat resembling a pangolin. I also notice it has what seems to be a web shooting gland. This could be a problem.

We rush into battle, leaving the demon with little time to react. Surprised, it doesn't shoot any webs at us and we begin our assault. However, most of our strikes seem to have no effect on the demon's thick exterior and her masterwork clothes (just ignore that message about breaking a bone, that was like one out of a hundred :v). We are starting to lose hope as the demons begins severing limbs left and right.

Fortunately, I manage to land two critical blows, severing both of the demon's hands, thus inspiring my companions to start landing effective blows.

After quite a little bit of fighting, we finally manage to take down the demon (which I learn was named Zefon Greasebud. Eww). Success !
It's armor, while very effective, is unfit for a smol elf such as me, so I leave it.

Noticing something hiding behind a pillar and shivering, I rush to the back of the room to find the "lord" of the Dark Fortress shaking in fear and I quickly chop his head off. Victory ! However, this is only the beginning...

TO BE CONTINUED

(On the next episode, we go into the circus !!!)

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, you guys don't seem super interested in this, but whatever, here's the next part anyways :

As I go further and further down the goblin spire, my party grows even larger as I promise some dumbass kids that I'll save them. Man, kids will just believe anything you tell them. I guess that explains how they got kidnapped in the first place.

After a while, I hit rock bottom, quite literally. This room is the lowest room in the spire, so deep that there's not even semi-molten rock or magma surrounding it. And yet I see no hell here. So I'm guessing that the rumours of an "underworld portal" inside goblin spires that's on the wiki was a bunch of lies. I'm very disappoint. So, does anyone know if there's an actual way to reach hell in adventure mode ? (I don't care if it requires DFHack or some other tool)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:01:00 pm by Legendary Marksdorf »

wickys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It could be in a room inaccessible to you. Use reveal command in dfhack to see.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is beautiful.

Addict7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ptw

n4m3l3ss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was inevitable.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

I'm interested in how you managed to find a great axe in a dwarven fortress. Dwarves don't make great axes. Only battle axes. Do you have any mods?

If not then maybe they somehow imported it from humans. I've never heard of such a thing being found in adventurer mode, but I don't know what else it would be.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile

MORE!!!
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MOAR OF THIS

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys, sit tight, because this is gonna be a big one.

Seeing that there was no way of going to hell from the goblin tower, I retired my adventurer at the tower I had built, started a Fortress mode game and embarked not too far away from it, dug straight to adamantium, breached hell, retired that fortress and went to it's location with my adventurer.

After several weeks of inactivity in Dangerbreach the Tower of Glory (you can only see the first floor here, but there's like 10 other identical floors with a meeting hall with a lot of tables and chairs at the top), I get notified that the dwarf digging team I hired has finally breached hell, and that most of them died to the hands of the demons they unleashed. Good, that means I don't have to pay all of them.

After a little trek, I finally reach the stairway to hell. Even from there, I can here the moaning of a thousand tortured spirits echoing through the tunnel. Pfff, tortured spirits are such pussies, they never shut up.

After a little while, I reach a raw adamantium vein. And to think I payed these dwarves ! All this adamantine they got from here was already way more than enough to repay them ! These crooks...

Me and my cohort comes to a halt when we're faced with a pit. Down below, I can see hell, but it's too far down to jump... I begin thinking of a solution.

(For some reason, I couldn't build wooden stairs down using the (b)uild menu (probably cause I was still on the same spot as the fortress), so I had to use dfhack to create stairs down. I'm sorry and I will keep dfhack use to a minimum.)

We manage to build ourselves some nice stairs down to hell (they're on the same spot as the rock, sorry I took the screenshot at the wrong instant :x). So this is it ? It isn't as scary as I thought. Seems pretty devoid, too... Well, at least there's no trees.

After some exploring, we stumble upon a group of demons. Steam demons to be precise. Finally some action !

However, due to their steamy composition, we are able to quickly dispatch them without sustaining any kind of damage. What a sorry excuse for spawns of hell.

We explore some more and find another group of demons. These ones are made of ash. It shouldn't be much harder to dispatch them. This place is starting to bore me... However, as the fight begins, I notice that despite their frail composition, these grey wraithes can actually hurt us and they inflict serious wounds on several of my companions before we're table to strike them down. I shall be more careful from now on.

Some more steam ghosts. I let my companions dispatch them to hone their fighting skills.

During the fight with this patch of steam ghosts, I notice that this hilltop is pretty flat and wide. This gives me an idea. I tell my companions that we're going back to the surface and that I have to go get something.

However, on our way back, we are met with more demons. These ones are entirely made of salt. I'm beginning to think that this is all one vast joke. Like, seriously ? Satan must be a dumbass if he thinks demons like these will do anything to stop us.

I quickly strike them down. NEXT.

We've made it back from the staircase. However, as I turn back, I notice that during the fight with the brine ghosts, several companions have given in to pain and lay unconscious on the ground (they're on the white crosses). I ponder whether or not I should wait for them to regain consciousness before going back up, as idling around here could prove to be dangerous if actually dangerous demons decide to show up.

At the end of this episode, only 48 companions remain. At the beginning I had 54. We've already lost 6 members... Even thought we've only met pansy demons so far. I'm beginning to think maybe peasants aren't fit for taking over hell. But hey, that's just a the- *BANG*. I mean, that's only a minor setback. TONIGHT, WE DINE IN HELL ! (FOR REAL !)

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile

The ultimate challenge: retire the adventurer somewhere save, embark far away from your current fort, breach hell a second time and build a staircase down, then try to travel through hell and reach the other fortress. Bonus points if it's on an island. Bonus bonus points if you actually create a wooden tunnel connecting the two fortresses.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know what ? That sounds like a great idea. Once I'm done with the project I have in mind rn, I'll try to do that :)

EDIT :
I'm interested in how you managed to find a great axe in a dwarven fortress. Dwarves don't make great axes. Only battle axes. Do you have any mods?

If not then maybe they somehow imported it from humans. I've never heard of such a thing being found in adventurer mode, but I don't know what else it would be.

I'm not actually sure it was a dwarven fortress tbh, there were lots of people in there, a lot of dwarves but also a lot of humans, gorlaks, plump helmet men and kobolds (I have a homebrew mod that makes them more friendly and their civ more developped). So, it could have been made by other inhabitants of the fortress.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:06:54 am by Legendary Marksdorf »

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't seen a superdwarvenly tough elf in quite some time. PTW.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really nice and interesting, i'PTW too!

Codyrex123

• Bay Watcher
  • The Core shall be ours!
    • View Profile

Lovin it, so wait, what does having negative relation nature do to your needs?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:27:03 pm by Codyrex123 »
Pages: [1] 2