Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170318 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« on: July 05, 2016, 04:33:30 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Here are the first official 64-bit releases!  This would not be possible without help from our community -- you can view the exciting and sometimes late-night discussion over in the 0.43.04 release thread if you want to see how the cake was baked.  This release should also make worlds generated with the same seed more consistent, and it has a few other minor fixes we managed to sneak in.

New stuff
   (*) 64-bit support, pulling the game from the distant past into the previous decade

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed problem with artistic skill assignment causing world histories to diverge
   (*) Fixed problem with worldgen trade causing world histories to diverge

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Stopped babies/children from competing in w.g. events
   (*) Made gorlaks able to open doors, stopped desizing of their heads
   (*) Fixed some mem leaks
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Vaughn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »

Made gorlaks able to open doors
Yes.

Also, congratulations on 64-bit release.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 04:49:07 pm »

Toady, I still get the "CXXABI_X.Y.Z" error with libs/libstdc++.so.6, and I have to remove it to get things to run.  Also, I don't need the libs/libgcc_s.so.1 file.

Also, you can close bug #2688 now, since that was a 32 bit problem.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:01:42 pm by Khym Chanur »

Passover

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 04:55:02 pm »

I'm super happy to see how Toady interacts with community!

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:56:16 pm »

god damn it every time i update a new one occurs

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 05:04:17 pm »

I ran worldgen again under valgrind, and all the warnings that came up during woldgen are gone (looks like no false positives due to -O2), but while saving the generated world it gave some warnings about uninitialized bytes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:08:24 pm »

Gorlaks! Yeah!!
Thanks Toady.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 05:14:51 pm »

Awesome!  Thanks Toady!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 05:44:15 pm »

64 bit consistent world gens?

Even if I've found surprising uses for 4000+ year world gens (Humans take a long while to get out from initial pocket of 100 savagery surroundings, for instance.), I cannot comprehend a world that has it as vital part. I can imagine such existing, but I can't actually imagine those that require fully sized worlds with longest histories.

That means it is time to start thinking the eventual goal and component parts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »

Oh Em Gee Dood!

You fixed the damn "data/art/mouse.png not found" thing! No more having to edit those lines with vim and keep .bmp copies around!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 06:42:01 pm »

Wooo!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 06:57:29 pm »

Huzzah, 64-bit DF!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 08:46:16 pm »

Now to find ways to maximize our 64-bit exploits.

waveclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 09:54:02 pm »

Thank you Toady.  May you profit greatly from your efforts.

I like the very clean license statement in the readme.txt documentation.   I'm not sure it would meet approval to build and host packages on the Open Build Service but I feel safe providing nosrc RPMs at least.  I don't feel good hosting packages elsewhere in general with the effort that the brother Adams have put in here.  I feel Bay12Games earned the money they get.  And probably need a marketing budget.  So having to go visit the Toad for your epic mincart computer slash genocide slash frustration simulator is a good thing.  You have to pass by all the tip jars, you see..  But the OBS is nice because you can build a package for pretty much everything but Genotoo Linux in one project.  And not go any more barmy than usual.  (Well, usual for someone who obsesses over tiny glyphs of dwarves with suicidal mining tendancies.)

Oh Em Gee Dood!

You fixed the damn "data/art/mouse.png not found" thing! No more having to edit those lines with vim and keep .bmp copies around!

This made testing the 64-bit version much easier. But, all my collected crash data is now joyfully worthless since there is a new release!  It also means that the binary patches won't be needed anymore.  Huzza!

Unlike the early 64-bit Linux port this one doesn't die a few years into a map with all options maxed out.  The early verison would die if resident memory crossed 4.3Gb of RAM.  The 32-bit version would grind to a halt and crash at 3.4-ish after about a days or so.

This version flys! A large map with 768 years takes about 2.5 hours, mostly in the latter years.  Before it would take 4.5 hours to get to 1050 if the map didn't die. A 250 year map generates in minutes even when the event counter passes 750,000. Looks like it takes about 2 seconds and 1Mb per year for the 750k to 1M range of events on a 80k population with 65k dead. This is on my 4GHz (overclocked) i7-6700K CPU in openSUSE 42.1 with default scheduling (no tricks with nice.)   Keeps one full core maxed to the hilt but crossed that reserved memory with no issue.  .  I did notice that this version spawned less processes than the previous test release, too.

Of course the real test will be striking the Earth.  Onward, for Dwarfkind!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 10:07:59 pm »

If we were using the 64 bit beta release of 43.04, can we migrate saves over with mild to no issues?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11