Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170961 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2016, 01:46:14 am »

That would be Maxese for "halp my PC is on fire" I suspect.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2016, 01:59:30 am »

Test with smaller site and see if you still have that memory leak?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2016, 02:02:58 am »

Not quite that bad, it froze after I got to 5.3 (out of 6.7 used, 8 max) and kwin tripped/reset itself.

Just got back up to 5.3 GB and I'm going to save after this time gets back to the screen. It isn't actually laggy while not adding GB at a time of usage, interestingly.

Well, had to turn the whole computer off when it took minutes to move the mouse cursor across the screen after it got up to 6.3 GB on df, 7.54 GB total.

Yeah, figured it out, the site was causing animal populations to remain loaded and then more populations come on the map, who then remain, and then more, etc.

Cyan masterwork symbols are my sense creature icons, you may note several are blinking because there are multiple on many tiles, and the cavern layer above this one is also filling up.

Made a bug report as I've had this happen a few times now, still not exactly sure what makes it happen beyond some creatures becoming histfigs and making new histfigs by interacting with them, but it's a savekiller for sure: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9925 so there that is.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:27:51 am by Max™ »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2016, 07:47:22 am »

Its always been a case in that any creature that can accrue sentient kills (sometimes non-sentient, but that's a necessity of whether two conflicting and usually [SPECIFIC_FOOD] predator/prey animals come into play and can spawn on the map simultaneously or by means of worldgen/adventure mode real-time shenanigans) to gain a coveted historical figure status. I don't know if gaining a historical status overrides the natural 1 group in - 1 group out behavior of natural populations.

My personal theory is it's giant bats travelling between layers (finnicky air pathing too, bats are EXTREMELY poplar historical figs as well as the subterranean biome being large enough to support the meager local populations, so that collaboratively there are a lot of giant bats) and killing creatures that they find. Its not that the bats themselves are overpowered, as much as the [LARGE_ROAMING] (despite the [LARGE_PREDATOR] that keeps only 1 example of the map for that biome at a time) dictates that they move about as other cavern wildlife usually from one end to the other, naturally drawing them into conflict if they choose a different destination to leave while another group of cavern creatures on another level are also spawning/active.

Alternatively it could be creatures falling into inescapable caverns from above via climbing/dodging behaviours without a means to get out (or conversely the creatures are waiting for you to open up a path so that they can escape the map via the surface as the nearest pathfinding alternative.)

EDIT - Whoops, sorry i didn't realize you meant that you were talking about a adventurer site as opposed to a 'fortress embark' site. My apologies.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:27:58 pm by FantasticDorf »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »

Couldn't be those, there isn't time for anything to happen, I'm literally building a camp while magma collapses around it, so after each work period ends there are a couple of ticks with fluid movement and anything around might be able to aim an attack, but nothing has time to kill anything else. Things don't even have time to fall before the magma collapse finishes.

First time I had this happen it was a bajillion yaks and peregrine falcon people and zombie polar bears and zombie ice wolves

The specific trigger seems to be the site getting named, I hadn't actually put that connection until earlier when I was trying a new build and it was all dandy until I named the site and then the lag/memory munching started up and I started accumulating inhabitants.

No prob, it's not the same type of bug as I'd expect in fort mode is all, since I am literally racing against the magma collapse.

Which makes it weirder when I look around after focusing on getting what I can manage to build in place, and suddenly there's hordes of wildlife lagging me up.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:00:03 pm by Max™ »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2016, 06:40:48 am »

now waiting for the 32bit LNP of this release :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2016, 01:42:02 pm »

Are you still using XP or Vista or something?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2016, 02:09:27 pm »

Are you still using XP or Vista or something?

Some of us prefer quality elven homegrown *literally* computer engineering because its cheap and ethical, its not my fault if my computer catches fire.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2016, 07:21:42 pm »

"Elven"? "Grown"? You want to get down with the mica, man.. pure silicon is the way to go.. ;)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2016, 11:49:08 pm »

I just installed windows 10 yesterday and backed-up my old 32bit system just in case. ::)
I have only 2.5GB of ram.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2016, 07:00:03 am »

Still on XP - and i'd rather gp for linux than ever install anything beyond win7.
Ans win7 i'd have to buy, but i won't give Microsoft another dime and if i had foreseen how things would come, i wouldn't have ever bought winXP either.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

BlueBuilding

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2016, 03:31:35 pm »

32-Bit to 64-Bit, congrats!
NOTHING WORKS ANYMORE!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2016, 11:48:55 pm »

Still on XP - and i'd rather gp for linux than ever install anything beyond win7.
Ans win7 i'd have to buy, but i won't give Microsoft another dime and if i had foreseen how things would come, i wouldn't have ever bought winXP either.
Install Linux then. XP is a virus honeypot these days.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2016, 03:37:38 am »

Install Linux then. XP is a virus honeypot these days.
i would - if i could arrange this without data loss.
also i would need to find a huge amount of alternative software and a way to play at least half of my games.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2016, 04:19:34 am »

If it's only XP era games then the majority of them will work perfectly fine under Wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/ (if they don't just have a Linux version).
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11