Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170958 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 12:29:53 pm »

I got excited because I thought maybe the higher pointer sizes would get rid of the strength rollover (use a syndrome to give something like 1500% and +15000 directly to strength and you go from being super strong/fast to 0.099 speed) because I remembered Putnam doing the dfhack stuff to set the attributes to 2^32 -1 but it's a different cause still.

Ganondworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2016, 01:02:38 pm »

Dear all,

could someone please explain to me what the 64-bit support does? Or point me to some place where someone else does the explaining? I'm on and off DF for at least 5 years, but I have only limited understanding of technical details, so I'm wondering how 64-bit will affect me as someone who is "just" an end user.

Yes I tried the search, but I didn't understand much except for "bigger, older worlds" :)

Nevermind, I'm blind.

Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:18:48 pm by Ganondworf »

Cexp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2016, 05:05:01 pm »

One possible legitimate cause of divergence between bitness and compilers is the use of floating point numbers, which I think applies to DF.

It's very difficult / almost impossible to get the exact same results out of floats across different environments. There are some heavy handed "solutions" but I don't think they're worth it in this case.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2016, 07:04:08 pm »

One possible legitimate cause of divergence between bitness and compilers is the use of floating point numbers, which I think applies to DF.

It's very difficult / almost impossible to get the exact same results out of floats across different environments. There are some heavy handed "solutions" but I don't think they're worth it in this case.
If you're using the same size of floating point number (32-bit "float" or 64-bit "double"), you should always get exactly the same result whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit code.

Toady mentioned warnings about "size_t", which has just reminded me that there are data types that vary between Win32 and x64 (most of the others being pointers, which you should never be using to store values anyways).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2016, 11:04:41 pm »

New version runs great on a macbook.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:24:32 am by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2016, 11:27:48 pm »

Unless it was fixed, the game only runs in a buggy terminal mode with OSX El Capitan.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2016, 11:32:48 pm »

Unless it was fixed, the game only runs in a buggy terminal mode with OSX El Capitan.

I'm not using El Captian. Forgot to mention that. I followed this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2va09g/help_with_running_df_in_console_on_os_x/
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2016, 01:24:39 am »

128 bit when
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2016, 04:21:41 am »

Would anyone care to explain in laydwarve's terms why multi-threading will not have a great impact on fort mode performance?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2016, 05:52:32 am »

128 bit when

Probably not for a while and when the modern day markets catch up, 64 bit is modern day market standard, 128 bit is a decade or so roughly down the line despite existing in the 1990's experimentally. (though saying that, people did not expect computers to progress as fast as they have done, estimating that only the richest people in the world will own a personal one)

Right now it was estimated that computers would dramatically improve every two or so years, and that number has been recalculated lately because of hardware requirements of keeping them cool (bigger fans & costs to make resulting) so unless we develop a new heat immune way of computing so we can cram super-computer like power into them consequence free, give or take some new breakthroughs in handling the heat and the raw power of computing in general so all 128 bits are being used constructively. Its a waste to use a system that can collect information on that scale but can't store it away as effectively due to processing constraints, 64 runs within the limits of modern day computers unlike their 32bit predecessors which are more limited.

Would anyone care to explain in laydwarve's terms why multi-threading will not have a great impact on fort mode performance?
It'd tidy stuff up into neat pretty pockets rather than going through the same channels as everything else, but you've still got to store and handle that stuff somewhere, therein lies the problem in it being a tool to tidy up, not a magic bullet to correct.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2016, 06:35:04 am »

If you're using the same size of floating point number (32-bit "float" or 64-bit "double"), you should always get exactly the same result whether you're running 32-bit or 64-bit code.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22710272/difference-in-floating-point-arithmetics-between-x86-and-x64
You learn something new every day - for those too lazy to click the link, 64-bit code uses SSE instructions (which have separate versions for 32-bit "float" and 64-bit "double") for floating point arithmetic, while 32-bit code uses FPU instructions (which upconvert all floats to 80-bit "long double", which you can't actually use directly on Windows) because of the possibility that SSE might not be available.

Apparently, though, newer versions of MSVC use (or can be told to use) SSE in 32-bit code as well to make things stay consistent, though I'm not sure if that's an option in the old version of GCC Toady's using.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:37:07 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 07:07:35 am »

Right now, any multi-threading that you see is just the libraries automatically delegating a few internal tasks to separate threads.  This may help a tiny little bit, but won't have a dramatic effect on overall speed.  The game itself has not been rewritten to multi-thread, and probably won't be any time soon.  Doing so is an enormous project.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 07:35:18 am »

I think a thorough threaded implementation of DF could add a lot of speed, but it would also require a huge amount of work.

One reason an application might not get much out of multi threading would be if its "memory bound", i.e. its speed is not constrained by the computation speed of the CPU, but the speed at which data can be shuffled to and from memory. If a single lane congested road leads to a factory, adding additional assembly halls might do nothing to speed up production because the trucks carrying the material to the factory are already arriving as fast as the (memory) road network allows. Given that the 32-> 64 bit conversion is driven partially by an increasing demand for memory, it's not unreasonable to assume memory band width might be a larger bottle neck than CPU speed.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2016, 11:23:01 am »

The obvious solution is to require 16GB of L2 cache.  Too bad that doesn't exist.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11