Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170904 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2016, 12:55:11 pm »

128 bit when

Probably not for a while and when the modern day markets catch up,
I wasn't expecting such a well-written answer to a joke question, thanks.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2016, 12:59:30 pm »

128 bit when

I actually worked on 128-bit machines in the mid90s. They were vastly overpowered for the application, your tax dollars at work.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Väinämöinen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Has gone without a drink for far, far too long
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2016, 03:12:27 pm »

Toady could implement the multi core support little by little:

Like multithreading first the water flow on its own thread and rest of the stuff on its own

Then Graphics on its own thread, AI etc..
Assimilated by the C64 in the 80's. Lost since then.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2016, 03:43:30 pm »

Like multithreading first the water flow on its own thread and rest of the stuff on its own

That's probably the plan. He said he's working on it more than we probably think.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2016, 05:24:45 pm »

Apparently, though, newer versions of MSVC use (or can be told to use) SSE in 32-bit code as well to make things stay consistent, though I'm not sure if that's an option in the old version of GCC Toady's using.
GCC has had that option at least since about 2002 for SSE2 and below, I accidentally compiled my Gentoo setup with it on an AMD machine back then which was how I found that out (AMD got SSE with the 64 bit machines which was two years later).

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »

That's probably the plan. He said he's working on it more than we probably think.

The problem is not really to write the code so things run in different threads, but to ensure they're not stepping on each others toes while doing so, i.e. protecting all the data stores involved so they handle parallel access from multiple threads, as well as ensuring things are not processed out of order (e.g. flying creature in one thread, going upwards in a shaft, cave-in falling downwards. Without checks the upwards movement thread may check if the tile upwards is free, the cave-in thread will check if then next tile downwards contains anything to smash, both move to the same tile, but without colliding since the tile was free while checking. A worse case is a wear checking thread that meets a piece of clothing worn by a dorf being atom smashed. The dorfs is smashed, and all items worn are destroyed. At the same time the wear checking thread looks in its list for the next item to apply wear to, and goes to the -Pig Tail Sock- Urist wore before getting smashed. The sock no longer exists, so either wear is applied to a "random" piece of memory, which might now be used for something completely different, or the pointer now refers to memory not owned by the application, resulting in immediate program termination). You can get a lot of interesting bugs that are almost impossible to reproduce.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2016, 09:01:12 pm »

Thank you for the explanation of multi threading.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2016, 09:14:13 pm »

The problem is not really to write the code so things run in different threads, but to ensure they're not stepping on each others toes while doing so, i.e. protecting all the data stores involved so they handle parallel access from multiple threads, as well as ensuring things are not processed out of order

This is hard enough to do if a program is engineered from the ground up to be multi-threaded.  If you have a program which started out single-threaded and try to retrofit in multi-threading, it becomes even more difficult.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2016, 10:15:41 pm »

128 bit when

I actually worked on 128-bit machines in the mid90s. They were vastly overpowered for the application, your tax dollars at work.

Just when I start to get jaded with the Twelfth Bay, something neat like this shows up. :V That is damn cool, yo.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2016, 10:48:01 pm »

Rooms seem to auto-adjust and farmers try and automatically fertilize.

Nevermind, rooms don't auto-adjust. Apologies.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:07:18 pm by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2016, 04:03:23 am »

Rooms seem to auto-adjust and farmers try and automatically fertilize.

Mmm? Secret changes? Are you sure about that? I'll have to go and check a few things

I wouldn't expect that to be the case though it'd certainly be welcome.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2016, 10:49:58 am »

kinda hope  the new update for 32bit players kinda have a side folder to hold all those dlls.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:41 am »

kinda hope  the new update for 32bit players kinda have a side folder to hold all those dlls.

Fuck yes. There are way too many of these stupid things to be placed in the main folder. Bad enough Toady booted the 32bit version off the main page. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2016, 11:19:46 am »

Got two crashes from a savegame I started around 43.02ish. This is the 43.05 x64 version.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:11:51 pm by xordae »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2016, 11:50:21 am »

It's not 32-bit-specific, and assuming you're talking about Windows, there's not really anywhere else they can go unless Toady makes a separate launcher for DF (like on Linux/OS X), which might not work, or you install all of those libraries system-wide.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11