Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170996 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2016, 12:50:55 pm »

Woo!  PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2016, 02:00:40 pm »

My only complaint is that my poor little laptop can't actually handle anything anywhere near a 10x10 embark :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2016, 02:03:42 pm »

Now I wonder how bad it'd be if I tried to run a max-sized embark on my laptop... :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2016, 05:48:44 pm »

Nothing too serious here, but my Pentium i5 8MB notebook pc (Windows 10) is giving me a program "Not Responding" message for each year that a new world is being generated.  Eventually it goes away and world generation continues to the next year.  The previous version didn't do this.

My desktop Pentium i7 (Windows 7) is not having this issue.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:00:09 pm by imperator »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2016, 06:25:44 pm »

That's pretty normal, since DF only updates the UI once a year during worldgen. The difference in behavior is very likely due to the different Windows versions you're using.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2016, 08:30:15 pm »

Nothing too serious here, but my Pentium i5 8MB notebook pc (Windows 10) is giving me a program "Not Responding" message for each year that a new world is being generated.  Eventually it goes away and world generation continues to the next year.  The previous version didn't do this.

My desktop Pentium i7 (Windows 7) is not having this issue.
IME the "Not Responding" msg usually means the program (DF in this case) is writing/caching to/from disc. Increasing RAM or installing a faster drive may improve things a little, but it's mostly CPU/drive data-pipeline-bound, /I think/

IANAP!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2016, 10:52:42 pm »

Well, the reason Windows thinks DF isn't responding is because it isn't updating the UI very frequently during worldgen. There's hardly any disk I/O happening during worldgen, besides possibly swapping if you don't have enough memory (although swapping would make the situation worse and cause the message to appear more often).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2016, 11:13:32 pm »

Well, the reason Windows thinks DF isn't responding is because it isn't updating the UI very frequently during worldgen. There's hardly any disk I/O happening during worldgen, besides possibly swapping if you don't have enough memory (although swapping would make the situation worse and cause the message to appear more often).
And this is why Windows reports the program as "not responding" rather than crashed or hung.  DF really isn't "responding" but that doesn't mean it isn't "working."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2016, 02:23:39 am »

I notice it does that on my slow mac as well. That's a good explanation for it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

imperator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2016, 03:34:20 pm »

After dealing with this new version further on the small notebook pc, it appears to only slow down when it's running on battery power.  Apparently the Windows 10 or newer model notebooks slow down memory and CPU usage when it is on battery only.  Now that I've run it with the AC adapter it's running full team ahead and certainly faster than 32 bit words with FPS for a medium sized fort around 70-80fps.  So as far as I'm concerned everything is working perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:23:52 pm by imperator »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2016, 05:18:47 pm »

Running slower on battery is not new in Windows 10, pretty sure you can configure it in the power profiles in 7 if not earlier.

Also if you switch your power profile you might get your performance back.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2016, 06:45:47 am »

With 64-bit now working, can we get larger world maps? Eg. bigger than 257x257 ?
Also I'd very much like an Legends Export that exports a map on the Town-scale level.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2016, 11:56:57 am »

Like the site map exports but for the whole world? That would be HUGE, we'd probably need to have df export stuff in .png instead of .bmp first, or is there a way to have it do that which I'm just too stupid to notice?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2016, 01:16:49 pm »

That would be a lot less hassle if it was divided up into segments instead of dumping the WHOLE map into one image.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2016, 01:36:28 am »

Hmmm, gonna test if this keeps going, and it could just be the crazy site (collapsing magma+icewalls melting) but it is at 5.3 GB and keeps rising by over a GB each time I build more.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11