Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170486 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 11:53:39 pm »

Gorlaks! Yeah!!
Thanks Toady.

Good thing that you mentioned it, prompting me to comment and tag the issue. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 12:15:16 am »

I always thought that Gorlaks must be too short to properly manipulate the door handles.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 12:29:36 am »

If we were using the 64 bit beta release of 43.04, can we migrate saves over with mild to no issues?

I haven't noticed any problems yet at least, so I believe so.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 12:59:54 am »

I always thought that Gorlaks must be too short to properly manipulate the door handles.

And I will eat the next person to suggest that. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 01:04:02 am »

I am however somewhat irked that Toady doesn't include the 32-bit version on the same page as the other versions. Eh. Also, all of a sudden we got a fuckton of shiny new DLL files.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 01:17:19 am »

Most people don't know what 64-bit and 32-bit are. Or the difference between an SDL and Legacy version. I like the change. This will also allow him to get a better idea of how many are still requiring 32-bit versions.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 01:51:29 am »

By way of seeing how many people bitch about it? ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 02:39:38 am »

Good job, 64 bits looked surprisingly fast to release. All the pointers are pretty happy.

Spoiler: obligatory (click to show/hide)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 10:31:21 am »

There are extra dlls in the release which aren't needed:

The msvc*80 and *100 dlls are from older versions of visual studio (msvc*140 is the newest). You probably don't need the "Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST" either, for the same reason.

You also have two versions of libtiff and libpng included. In addition, do you actually support jpeg and webm image formats? If not, you don't need those dlls either I don't think.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 12:04:06 pm »

I noticed that. The 32 bit version has a fuckton of DLLs not included in prior versions, and I have no idea whether they were ever required.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 02:38:56 pm »

The api-* DLLs are all for compatibility with Windows 7 and earlier I believe. They implement "API Sets", where certain APIs are divorced from exactly which DLL implements them, allowing easier updating/patching for MS in future. This was introduced in Windows 8, Windows 7 and XP need these "shim" DLLs to emulate API Sets as those OSs don't have built-in support.

On the plus side, because they are just shims, they are all tiny.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:23 pm »

Ah, my potato computer strikes again. Nevermind the fact that just updating my redistributable fixed all problems I had last version, so this still sounds unnecessary for Windows 7.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »

I've merged my last fortress with this version (it was from 43.04). I've noticed nothing strange so far. Do you people think that might cause problems down the road or should I be fine?
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

ChaotikDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 04:44:16 pm »

The api-* DLLs are all for compatibility with Windows 7 and earlier I believe. They implement "API Sets", where certain APIs are divorced from exactly which DLL implements them, allowing easier updating/patching for MS in future. This was introduced in Windows 8, Windows 7 and XP need these "shim" DLLs to emulate API Sets as those OSs don't have built-in support.

On the plus side, because they are just shims, they are all tiny.

I seriously doubt it, since i use vs2015 currently and i don't need all that crap with any of my executables.
Also , statically linking can often give a nice boost to perf as it allows more optimizations.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 05:22:26 pm »

So why all the extra bits then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11