Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170500 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 05:29:53 pm »

So why all the extra bits then?

My assumption was for the sake of idiotproofing it, since the last version's thread was several pages of Toady and others trying to figure out why it abruptly borked.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 05:39:14 pm »

Is there any advantage to 64bit support beyond being able to allocate greater amounts of RAM?

I suppose multi-core CPU support is still a ways off.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 05:48:15 pm »

Is there any advantage to 64bit support beyond being able to allocate greater amounts of RAM?

I suppose multi-core CPU support is still a ways off.

Bigger, older worlds . Marginal speed upgrade.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 06:33:13 pm »

I seriously doubt it, since i use vs2015 currently and i don't need all that crap with any of my executables.
When you install Visual Studio 2015, it installs the runtime libraries for you - if you were to try and run those programs on a system where VC2015 wasn't installed, you would need those DLLs.

Also , statically linking can often give a nice boost to perf as it allows more optimizations.
It is also an extremely large obstacle to getting DFHack to work.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 06:56:41 pm »

anyone else long for the good old days where what ever dll the ends user needed was shipped with the final products bin folder instead of having to install dozens of run times?

Cexp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:49 pm »

I guess this is "expected" or at least known, but different versions (Windows/Linux) generate different worlds with the same seeds (I think the land might actually match, but the histories diverge).

I noticed when testing for speed. Disregarding the differences (since the populations and event numbers are similar), the Windows versions seems about 5% faster (for worldgen).

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 09:56:04 pm »

Even on the same system I didn't think the same history would generate twice on two worlds with the same world gen settings and seeds.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 10:01:54 pm »

Is that still happening regularly?  I fixed two problems with it for this time and had a world regenerating properly, but it's possible these issues still exist into 43.05.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »

Sorry, the last time I messed with it was 0.42.06.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:08 pm »

If we were using the 64 bit beta release of 43.04, can we migrate saves over with mild to no issues?

I haven't noticed any problems yet at least, so I believe so.

I just tried it myself, and it seems to be working perfectly fine. My assumption is that because none of the RAWS were edited, the game world does not have to be remade.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

ChaotikDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2016, 02:16:53 am »

I seriously doubt it, since i use vs2015 currently and i don't need all that crap with any of my executables.
When you install Visual Studio 2015, it installs the runtime libraries for you - if you were to try and run those programs on a system where VC2015 wasn't installed, you would need those DLLs.

Also , statically linking can often give a nice boost to perf as it allows more optimizations.
It is also an extremely large obstacle to getting DFHack to work.

Well, i have to admit that since i switched to vs2015, i didn't deploy anything  to the outer world.
I'll give it a try.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 02:47:29 am »

If we were using the 64 bit beta release of 43.04, can we migrate saves over with mild to no issues?

I haven't noticed any problems yet at least, so I believe so.

I just tried it myself, and it seems to be working perfectly fine. My assumption is that because none of the RAWS were edited, the game world does not have to be remade.
Except those door opening Gorlaks. I guess that's a raw edit.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 03:03:30 am »

Animal people aren't scattered through out character race selection any longer. 8)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:41:20 am by Chase »
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 06:43:42 am »

Is that still happening regularly?  I fixed two problems with it for this time and had a world regenerating properly, but it's possible these issues still exist into 43.05.
World generation appears to be consistent within a single version - both 0.43.05-win32 and 0.43.05-win64 were able to generate the same world 3 times in a row, but they could not generate the same worlds as each other (i.e. 64-bit history was consistently different from 32-bit history), which suggests that there might be other problems lurking around somewhere (which seems a bit odd, given that you have to specifically ask for 64-bit variables on Windows).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 12:19:49 pm »

Animal people aren't scattered through out character race selection any longer. 8)

That might just be that world -- that's supposed to happen on worlds where certain animal people get integrated into a society.

World generation appears to be consistent within a single version - both 0.43.05-win32 and 0.43.05-win64 were able to generate the same world 3 times in a row, but they could not generate the same worlds as each other (i.e. 64-bit history was consistently different from 32-bit history), which suggests that there might be other problems lurking around somewhere (which seems a bit odd, given that you have to specifically ask for 64-bit variables on Windows).

Yeah, since I was incorrectly writing that off to different compiler optimizations before, maybe I should investigate.  There aren't many places where explicit 64 bit variables are used, especially in world gen, but there could be something.  Vector sizes return as 64 bit (at least, according to the thousands of warnings I got, size_t wasn't a 32 anymore), so maybe it's a conversion in some calculation with those, since those are very common.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11