Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170487 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2016, 02:18:22 am »

If it's only XP era games then the majority of them will work perfectly fine under Wine: https://appdb.winehq.org/ (if they don't just have a Linux version).
some games (from 2003, namely Vietcong) my brother couldn't get to work in wine.
also some other games strictly require directX9 and won't work without it.
i got so many tips for this everywhere - i don't want to hijack this forum for that too :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2016, 11:30:45 pm »

It looks like "libfmodex.dylib" was updated since Dwarf Fortress v0.43.04. I was just a little curious about this change.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2016, 05:50:01 pm »

It had to be to support 64-bit DF.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2016, 06:30:18 pm »

Oh, okay. I was thinking that 0.43.04 was also 64-bit, but that was just a test version.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2016, 03:55:25 am »

0.43.04 was 32 bit, but compiled with the new compiler required for 64 bit. As far as I understand, the compiler change happened earlier than intended due to an accidental trashing of the installation of the old one.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2016, 06:34:28 am »

That was just the case on Windows.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2016, 12:03:09 pm »

That was just the case on Windows.
Hard to believe, but some DF players actually use Windows ;)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2016, 02:38:45 am »

I always thought that Gorlaks must be too short to properly manipulate the door handles.
Just stack them up till they reach...
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2016, 03:00:59 am »

I've set the leave page button to spacebar since I started playing but I'm finding screens that have the filter always on, causing me to have to force-quit.
One example is the Traits list when setting conditions in the Job Manager.
Like 0000060, "Changing "LEAVE SCREEN" binding from ESC to space closes when typing in orders window"? That should have been fixed year ago. Maybe some screens didn't got the fix, please recheck and fill a report in Mantis.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2016, 06:47:07 am »

In that case, you should probably bind LEAVESCREEN to Esc as well.

petela

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cancels posting, horrified.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2016, 01:51:20 am »

IMHO, this game has become easier and more boring exponentially since 0.40.xx. I think it needs less new useless features like libraries, books, taverns, etc and more bug-fixing. Bugs are piling up and latest features didn't add anything but more resource grinding and trees, lots of trees everywhere. I love this game, it just doesn't amuse me anymore. I've replayed 0.23.130.23a recently and my god, it was awesomely challenging... nowadays, unless I open the HFS, the fort goes forever with no problems at all...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2016, 03:21:49 am »

IMHO, this game has become easier and more boring exponentially since 0.40.xx. I think it needs less new useless features like libraries, books, taverns, etc and more bug-fixing. Bugs are piling up and latest features didn't add anything but more resource grinding and trees, lots of trees everywhere. I love this game, it just doesn't amuse me anymore. I've replayed 0.23.130.23a recently and my god, it was awesomely challenging... nowadays, unless I open the HFS, the fort goes forever with no problems at all...

Game is what you make of it, personally i like the flavour of expanding the dwarves existance outside of work and partying, they become ever so more rounded in enjoying what little leisure time (and with race swaps the need to leisure time increases trust me, dwarves are hard working whipping boys compared to some, least dwarves dont mortally stab everyone in the bar when drunk and angry like lots of highly equipped and armed goblins do) they have, have their dinky little gods and hobbies, not to mention the elaboration of thier needs to feel on task and opinions on things.

The last few updates have been moreso about creative and artistic focus, foundation of relgion, player driven iconographical art, books as-well (including the relevant production lines and value of books) rather than hard nitty super gritty features. Taverns bring the world inside your fort connecting it to it rather than feeling like a bubble waiting to be popped by sieges and historical figures employed to live in your fortress long term or permanently.

The next update ought to be interesting, with the constant tug of war back and fro and summary refocus on artifacts of value as displayed in museums ('another useless zone you may add' but moreso much more safe and established for viewing than a stockpile) and a meager tiny baby footstep forward towards pushing dwarves to go out and get a objective or be motivated to reclaim what they see as theirs nationally (another tiny footstep towards law and warfare) not to mention speculation of scenarios. Optimistic in that regard mind, but getting moreso back on track to more political minded things.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2016, 03:55:25 am »

True that.

0.34 was cool and all, but it was more like survival lemming challenge.

Right now world and dwarves feel much more alive and with MDF siege races still provides great amount of challenge.

Petela, try Masterwork Mod and enable Jotun and Minotaur invaders and see how easy it will be.
Jotun has a caste that spits fireballs, and Minotaurs are trap avoid elven-like ambushers.

New zones, library, tavern etc and finally dorfs do more than just haul crap from one spot to another and go insane if naked.
Finally it is possible to embark on tropical ocean biome and have a fort full of naked dwarven women wearing nothing more than jewelry.
What's not to enjoy here?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:22:24 am by Evans »
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2016, 06:35:54 pm »

A question for Toady/anyone who can answer parts of it:Is there currently or plans for a config option to cap the RAM that DF will attempt to allocate? Mainly asking for concerns that, with the new version, the game may grind my OS to a halt if it takes too much ram.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2016, 08:39:44 pm »

Not sure how much RAM you have, but that shouldn't be a concern if you don't do things differently. That said, I think it should start using hard disk as swap space (should you have that enabled) for DF rather than offload active OS processes, though if you have non-OS processes those might get stored to HDD before that. And remember, DF cannot use all of your CPU, so you should always be able to do something.

(You can also always download 32-bit one, of course.)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11