Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released  (Read 170492 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05 Released
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2016, 11:37:55 pm »

Not sure how much RAM you have, but that shouldn't be a concern if you don't do things differently. That said, I think it should start using hard disk as swap space (should you have that enabled) for DF rather than offload active OS processes, though if you have non-OS processes those might get stored to HDD before that. And remember, DF cannot use all of your CPU, so you should always be able to do something.

(You can also always download 32-bit one, of course.)
True, I suppose.
I don't yet have the ram to make full use of 64 bit currently, anyway, and if i recall correctly the game does a pretty good job at cleaning up unneeded ramspace as info is unloaded.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2016, 08:28:32 am »

Not sure how much RAM you have, but that shouldn't be a concern if you don't do things differently. That said, I think it should start using hard disk as swap space (should you have that enabled) for DF rather than offload active OS processes, though if you have non-OS processes those might get stored to HDD before that. And remember, DF cannot use all of your CPU, so you should always be able to do something.

(You can also always download 32-bit one, of course.)
True, I suppose.
I don't yet have the ram to make full use of 64 bit currently, anyway, and if i recall correctly the game does a pretty good job at cleaning up unneeded ramspace as info is unloaded.

It's your OS:s job to make sure it has enough RAM to work. I suspect you're low on RAM anyway if you even have this concern.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2016, 01:55:55 pm »

iceball3's concern is that the 64-bit DF build will take up enough memory to slow down their system, even though the 32-bit build did not (I assume).

I just did a very unscientific test on the title screen, and the difference in memory usage between the 64-bit and 32-bit builds of 0.43.05 is usually under 0.1 MB. In fact, the 64-bit build appears to be the one taking less. That would change once a game is loaded, of course, since some data takes up more space in memory in the 64-bit build, but I wouldn't expect it to be a huge difference. (Just because the 64-bit build can use more than 4 GB of memory doesn't mean it will, especially with forts where the 32-bit build didn't use nearly that much.)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2016, 02:01:00 pm »

The concern makes more sense if you assume iceball3 has a cat who can open up DF and put large world to gen for 10k years, and 2GB or less RAM. In that case, they'd be treated to annoyance of having to kill the process instead of the process autocrashing with no action from them.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2016, 02:35:28 pm »

Yeah, as long as you stick with the same behavior between 32-bit and 64-bit DF, memory usage shouldn't be different enough to cause issues in only the 64-bit build.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2016, 08:10:46 am »

So we still have no possibility to butcher mangled corpses and other died from obstacles and traps?..
Finis sanctificat media.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2016, 07:05:25 pm »

So we still have no possibility to butcher mangled corpses and other died from obstacles and traps?..

I think butchery is on a similar system to necromancy.

Personally, I think it's a feature.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2016, 05:52:05 am »

most new embarks see a pile of corpses before the hunter finally decides to build the butcher's workshop and then just stands idle watching the corpses rot while his hunger grows.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2016, 03:53:18 pm »

My personal advice is to attempt to cut them into smaller parts before they rot so your tanner can make use of them. You can achieve this on demand slicing action by modifying spike traps to on lever pull to begin slicing the corpse in a enclosed area because it will surely make a mess.

vylaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2017, 09:42:27 am »

Do you know, when is next release? This version is over 1 year old.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2017, 10:42:57 am »

Do you know, when is next release? This version is over 1 year old.
The next release is under active development: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
As with most releases, no firm date has been set.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2017, 09:35:19 pm »

Toady himself has said he's shooting for October, but it's always a guessing game.  The number of things left to do was numbered, fairly small and decreasing.  He might not make October exactly, but it should be quite soon regardless.

Do note that this isn't unusual.  Minor versions are usually released pretty quickly, but include only bugfixes or small new features.  Major versions, like the one we're waiting on, routinely take more than a year.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2017, 09:51:13 pm »

Toady himself has said he's shooting for October, but it's always a guessing game.  The number of things left to do was numbered, fairly small and decreasing.  He might not make October exactly, but it should be quite soon regardless.

Do note that this isn't unusual.  Minor versions are usually released pretty quickly, but include only bugfixes or small new features.  Major versions, like the one we're waiting on, routinely take more than a year.

Myth might take 2 unless Toady is very fast at it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:34 am »

Isn't the plan for the myth update to be split into two, even?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:34 am »

Isn't the plan for the myth update to be split into two, even?
Even so, there's only so much which can be split off to make a release work. When everything's connected to everything else, it becomes tricky to stop. Off-hand, interaction with alternate dimensions has been mentioned as feasible to split off (but will perhaps introduce portals through which beings from alternate dimensions can enter). Then there's the editor, which seems easy enough to put off (although Toady mentioned it seems like a pretty fun thing to do, so it might get thrown in anyhow).

So, yeah, a couple of releases but the first one might still take a couple of years. It's hard to predict. Heck "Artifacts" seemed like a relatively simple less than 1 year job, but took 15 months (assuming October release goes ahead as planned).

On Saturday it was '5-6 years from now' to get to the law & society arc (starting scenarios). So, if artifacts has 6 months of bug-fixing & suggestion updates that's still lots of room for a couple of multiple year myth-gen releases even with bug-fixing stages.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 06:14:36 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11