Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fort challenge: No weapons or armor!  (Read 4934 times)

Thorgrim Grudgebearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort challenge: No weapons or armor!
« on: July 06, 2016, 11:57:27 am »

Greetings and salutations, While working today I came up with an idea for a self imposed challenge. The challenge in question, no weapons or armor!

Rules:
Absolutely no weapons or armor for your military dwarfs (this includes shields)! Every military dwarf must fight with his bare hands, teeth and feet!

No walling yourself off from the world, Goblins and other sources of !fun! must have an unobstructed way into your fort!

No traps of any kind.

No using magma or water to kill sources of fun either.

Animals of all different kinds are allowed.

Essential tools (I.E pickaxes for miner, axes for woodcutters) are allowed as long as they are kept far away from combat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I would like to hear what people think of this challenge and its viability, I would also like to see how far people would be able to get with this rule-set!

So what do you think guys?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:04:33 pm by Thorgrim Grudgebearer »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Fort challenge: No weapons or armor!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 02:28:13 pm »

Unfeasible in certain specific situations.

Some types of enemies such as inorganic FBs/Titans and Bronze Colossi are next to, if not outright impossible, to hurt with unarmed combat, mainly due to sheer size and their composition causing punches and kicks to glance off and prevent joint locks. Others have other attacks simply too deadly to get in range of the thing to attack it (some kinds of poison gas critters, anything with webs or fire.)

In these situations, either cave-in traps, ranged fighters, or iron or better-pick-equipped miners would be a necessity to face them.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:55:05 pm »

Too strict. Woefully unenjoyable.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 03:39:43 pm »

Do tactically positioned drawbridges count as traps?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 04:30:46 pm »

hmm sounds like one of my forts before i knew what a smelter, workshop, trap, or goblin was.

i could see this as possible if a fortress would focus on using animals for defence, like lions tigers and bears.
i have used trained tigers (one per dwarf) to protect miners from random creatures found in the caverns, so if you say had an army of them, they might be able to kill off some invaders.

also, magma crab turrets would be a great method of defence. the rules say that you cant use traps, but it does say animals of ALL different kinds are allowed. so i would count magma crabs as an animal rather than a trap. plus it has the chance of starting !!FUN!!

i might bring an animal trainer and a breeding pair of tigers with me on my next fort and try this out
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:35:28 pm »

It'd be difficult to tame worthy war animals without cage traps, though. Could naturalized elves go next to the wild tigers and tame them without them being spooked? I don't recall wild uncaged animals usually showing up in training list, but I have boatload of animals....

I'd also worry about zombie apocalypses in reanimating biomes/when sieged by undead, though zombos are less deadly in  0.42+ era iirc.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:38:48 pm by Fleeting Frames »

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 05:28:27 pm »

It'd be difficult to tame worthy war animals without cage traps, though.

what about buying the animal? i would think that as long as you dont reuse the cage they come in it would be fine.
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »

Yeah, that would work. I forgot about elven caravans existing >_> I've been too used to only getting elf visitors.

Can even reuse the cage, as long as you don't stick it into a trap.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 08:24:01 pm »

Your entire fort will die the first time anything dangerous shows up.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 09:08:55 pm »

Again its a pretty meh idea.

Either you embark somewhere peaceful and nothing happens. Or you embark somewhere else. And 1 kabold with a copper dagger murders half your dwarves when he gets in trying to steal a plump helmet.

Most wildlife above rodent size can kill your dwarves quite easily.
With n traps you have to rely on an initial stock of attack dogs and a large breeding program for them and subsequent animals bought from elves.

A better thing would be to allow 1 champion dwarf to defend the fort. As well as animals. This gives the player much much more leeway. As a single armored dwarf supported by a blob of war dogs and tigers and shit can actually defend a fort quite well.

Thorgrim Grudgebearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 10:11:47 pm »

Having received some feed back, I do agree. Perhaps the idea of the single champion dwarf would be better. Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Ps: Perhaps a better idea for a challenge would be just no armor, this would allow dwarfs to at least have a fighting chance against various large sources of fun.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:16:02 pm by Thorgrim Grudgebearer »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 10:16:47 pm »

Having received some feed back, I do agree. Perhaps the idea of the single champion dwarf would be better. Thanks for the feedback guys :)
While we all love !!FUN!!, and losing is !!FUN!!, we all want you to experience !!FUN!! whilest still holding a fighting chance.

You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 10:18:43 pm »

You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Apart from the chance-based hammer (without modding,) that sounds absolutely unreasonably badass.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 10:38:33 pm »

Apart from the chance-based hammer (without modding,) that sounds absolutely unreasonably badass.

But when the platinum hammer hits the enemy...

I suddenly get the picture that this dwarf just became Thor Wikipedia.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Thorgrim Grudgebearer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 10:55:04 pm »

Jesus man, that sounds awesome! thanks for turning my shitty idea into something as cool as that.
Pages: [1] 2