Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1318366 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Judgement Day
« Reply #10695 on: November 09, 2016, 07:57:52 am »

I await Clinton fans to start lash at Sanders for not quitting on time as an excuse for her loss.
It's already happened, and not just Sanders. Maddow last night was alternating between having a mental breakdown and blaming Gary Johnson for taking voters from Clinton. Yes, you read that right.

Incidentally, my internet connection died at the stroke of midnight.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: November 09, 2016, 08:02:10 am »

People are dying in Syria and Yemen, and yet people bitch when a egocentric old man gets a semi-ceremonial position::)

The shitfests in Syria and Yemen basically would not have happened in the first place unless a previous "semi-ceremonial position" hadn't been heavily invested in destabilizing that entire region. The Iraq War is the immediate cause of basically all the current problems. Bush might have been ceremonial, but he appointed Cheney + Rumsfeld to run things. Those guys have been together in every Republican administration accused of military adventurism since Nixon.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:04:27 am by Reelya »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: November 09, 2016, 08:03:35 am »

What, you literally have no idea what you are talking about do you?

The only actual reason is that more Republicans live in area's only slightly leaning Republican, while more democrats live in area's heavily favouring democrats. There is literally no difference between winning a state with 51% and winning it with 99% under the US winner takes all system.

You do know some states are worth more, right?

You do know that has nothing to do with winning while getting fewer votes, do you?

Ok example time:

We have 3 states A B and C

A has 3000 people and 3 electoral votes, B has 2000 people and 2 votes, C has 4000 people and 4 votes

Candidate 1 wins states A and B with 51% and gets NO votes in C
Candidate 2 wins C with 100% of votes and has 49% of votes in A and B

Candidate 1 wins the election with 5 electoral votes vs 4

meanwhile candidate 1 has a total of 1501+1001=2502 votes
Candidate 2 has a total of 1499+999+4000= 6498 votes

And this extreme case shows the power of US democracy, where you can theoretically loose while having over twice the amount of votes as your opponent.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:06:44 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: November 09, 2016, 08:06:50 am »

Eh, sanders helped make the problem (and conceding late was only part of it), but the only ones we really have to blame are the media and our populace. Turns out clickbait was more important than sanity or integrity, and our people lapped it up. Fair extent even the GOP can't really be blamed; they gave the people what they wanted, and it got them elected. Now we get to deal with GOP control of every branch of the government, with everything that's going to entail.

I do think one of the more hilarious bits, though, is the amount of people saying they expect the GOP to act sanely when the bugnut legislation et al comes across the desk. I totally understand that we don't give a single solitary fuck about history or facts, now, but it's still a hell of a thing to see such a concentrated example of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: November 09, 2016, 08:08:02 am »

I wonder how many of the places Clinton "won" will have over 80% turnout rate. :')

(Hint: 80% turnout is pretty much impossible. Even Brexit with 72~% was ridiculous.)
u wot
What's ridiculous about 72%

UK averages around 65~% (commonly less) voter turnout in general elections. 72% is a full standard deviation above that. That's wild.
Wild, maybe. Pretty much impossible? Nah, human behaviour is and will be too erratic to predict single event outcomes like a vote turnout rate using statistical laws.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: November 09, 2016, 08:17:37 am »

People are dying in Syria and Yemen, and yet people bitch when a egocentric old man gets a semi-ceremonial position::)

The shitfests in Syria and Yemen basically would not have happened in the first place unless a previous "semi-ceremonial position" hadn't been heavily invested in destabilizing that entire region. The Iraq War is the immediate cause of basically all the current problems. Bush might have been ceremonial, but he appointed Cheney + Rumsfeld to run things. Those guys have been together in every Republican administration accused of military adventurism since Nixon.

Syria, debateable, extremely, but Yemen? how the hell the war in Iraq caused Yemen?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: November 09, 2016, 08:19:15 am »

It's funny how the system is broken only when you don't like the result.

The US has been decrying that the system is broken for decades... and not just at the end of elections.

Heck Donald Trump has been complaining about how broken the system was this entire election.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:26:39 am by Neonivek »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: November 09, 2016, 08:35:21 am »

I heard complaints about the electoral college all the time, and last 2 elections were won by democrats. I think many people consider the system wrong no matter who is winning.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: November 09, 2016, 08:38:12 am »

Syria, debateable, extremely, but Yemen? how the hell the war in Iraq caused Yemen?

All the Arab Spring uprisings flowed out of the Iraq takeover. This toppled governments as far west as Libya and Egypt who had been stable for 40+ years. The Yemen conflict is centered around Iranian-backed militias. And if there's one thing we know "Iranian-backed militias" have seen something of a resurgence since the Iraq War, as the two largest regional enemies of Iran were Saddam Hussein and The Taliban, both of which Bush destroyed, thus opening the road for much wider reaching Iranian influence, and since Iran doesn't have a military capable of projecting force outside its own borders, they use proxy agents and allies to conduct foreign intervention, where someone like the Americans or Russians would simply directly use bombs and missiles. Basically "Iranian backed militias" are Iran's equivalent to America drone-bombing you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:48:21 am by Reelya »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: November 09, 2016, 08:42:22 am »

I heard complaints about the electoral college all the time, and last 2 elections were won by democrats. I think many people consider the system wrong no matter who is winning.

Obama at least also won the popular vote, Bush and Trump did not.

Give me one advantage of voting like this as opposed to popular vote (which is a bad system with first past the post in itself)
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: November 09, 2016, 08:43:24 am »

snip
Stay safe, C. For what it's worth, the states would probably still be safer for you than back home, and if the economic situation doesn't completely deteriorate, a better jumping off point for somewhere safer still. But yeah, so far as real life goes you'd probably be a hell of a lot better off not going open for at least four more years. Probably longer, unfortunately. Just... good luck, yeah. Keep your head down and heart as up as you can manage.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: November 09, 2016, 08:44:31 am »

Obama at least also won the popular vote, Bush and Trump did not.

Give me one advantage of voting like this as opposed to popular vote (which is a bad system with first past the post in itself)

The major argument is preventing overpopulated states from being over-represented in election.

So that even small states can ultimately have a voice.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: November 09, 2016, 08:46:14 am »

snip
Stay safe, C. For what it's worth, the states would probably still be safer for you than back home, and if the economic situation doesn't completely deteriorate, a better jumping off point for somewhere safer still. But yeah, so far as real life goes you'd probably be a hell of a lot better off not going open for at least four more years. Probably longer, unfortunately. Just... good luck, yeah. Keep your head down and heart as up as you can manage.
I think she's more concerned about not being allowed to immigrate into the US than about LGBT rights deteriorating to a point of being unsafe. Hence the godspeed I assume.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: November 09, 2016, 08:48:57 am »

Of course, you are not supposed to be hopeful for the future. You got to yell loudly but let's not kid, it's till business as usual boys.

https://theintercept.com/2016/11/08/trump-transition-lobbyists/

I'll believe swamp-draining when I see it.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10709 on: November 09, 2016, 08:53:33 am »

Wow... for once I am just going to leave this thread because at this point... I just find this all too depressing.

Be sure to let me know if there is any riots, murders, or assassinations... >_<
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 1249