Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1314077 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #14595 on: December 02, 2016, 05:24:25 pm »

It was down south. Maybe pulled out of school? Who knows.

Rode hard and put away wet*
* sadly this phrase does not normally have a sexual meaning... It's about working horses really hard.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: December 02, 2016, 05:29:56 pm »

Humans cannot exist without killing other organisms, living things. I personally don't see any reason to place particular value on a being's life only* because it is human/originates from humans/has human genetic code, but that's just a quirk of my own morality, and of course there seems to be lots of people out there who think that it's always wrong to hurt something that's human. I can't particularly argue directly against views that have inherently different values to me.

*Separate from that being's personhood, I still think it's wrong to murder a human, because that destroys a person.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: December 02, 2016, 05:30:58 pm »

I only have myself to blame for this dark derail into abortion... and it can't stop it won't stop....

PLEASE Trump only you can save us! Please do something incredible stupid or asinine! Your our only hope!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: December 02, 2016, 05:33:44 pm »

I only have myself to blame for this dark derail into abortion... and it can't stop it won't stop....

PLEASE Trump only you can save us! Please do something incredible stupid or asinine! Your our only hope!

Shush you fool!.... he is watching....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: December 02, 2016, 05:35:15 pm »

We can always jump back on the speculation speed wagon concerning the recounts. The media seems to really want that to be salacious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-latest-wisconsins-walker-doesnt-expect-vote-changes/2016/12/02/2a8f0962-b89e-11e6-939c-91749443c5e5_story.html?utm_term=.04b189de7a0d

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: December 02, 2016, 05:38:37 pm »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: December 02, 2016, 05:41:21 pm »

Shush you fool!.... he is watching....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That would actually be impressive if he himself read this forum. I think the best we can hope for is some analyst reviews it after it's flagged by some algorithm.

EDIT:
I can't particularly argue directly against views that have inherently different values to me.
Do you mean you think there is no basis by which to have a discussion with fundamentally different base assumptions? Not sure what you mean.

But I actually find (mostly) the folks here are pretty good about having logical discussions about those different base assumptions.  And yeah, the whole "value of life (human or otherwise)" is a pretty big field when it comes to base assumptions.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:50:35 pm by McTraveller »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: December 02, 2016, 05:42:19 pm »

We would troll the shit out of Mr trump if he came in here.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: December 02, 2016, 05:47:57 pm »

The impression I have gotten of conservatives over the years wrt the sanctity of human life is that believe that:
1. Birth control should cost too much for the poor to afford
2. Abortion should be illegal for the poor (the well-off can afford to fly to a country where it is legal)
3. The poor should get no government assistance with their children
4. Public schools need to die, and ensuring that private schools teach "our traditions" (Christianity and obedience to authority) would be ideal
5. All the poors whose parents lacked the money to raise them well, with shit educations, indoctrinated into obedience and self-sacrifice, with no government assistance, will have no choice but to join the military.
6. This is how we will build a huge army with which to knock over any countries we feel like, without infuriating the people with conscription.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: December 02, 2016, 06:06:29 pm »

4. Public schools need to die, and ensuring that private schools teach "our traditions" (Christianity and obedience to authority) would be ideal

Well I get a feeling some political parties think that public schools are "The Way" and private schools must be punished for... I'm not sure what, but they sure do like to try to find a reason.

I went to a private school that ran to 8th grade, no high school. Guess what? A few years later I took the GED test and scored ~96% All that crap that you need to learn in high school? I learned that before I got out of middle school. (I actually took a few months of public school in 8th grade, I was naughty and got my a** kicked out of the private school. It was the easiest few month of schooling I ever had. While the other kids worked hard on assignments I played on the computer, my work done. It was wonderful, as in the private school I had always struggled to get my work done.)

Private schools like this offer no sports teams, no extra curricular activities at all. Just learning. Guess what? You learn more, and it costs a lot less (sports are expensive). Of course it actually costs more, because you still need to pay for the public schools you aren't using. Why can't you decide which school you want the tax money to go to?

The public school in our area is constantly trying to get the private school kids counted in their official numbers. Why? Because the private school kids score way better overall, so it would make them look good. The kids are no different from the public school kids, it's not a special school for gifted kids or anything, just normal kids being taught by normal people (not a one of which has a college degree).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: December 02, 2016, 06:06:40 pm »

More, these:

1) they feel abstention from sex costs 0$.
2) abortion should never happen because premarital sex should not be tolerated, and should it still happen, pregnancy is how you make babies and abortion is murder.
3) the social safety net is to help hardworking people who hit a snag, not to help people forever because they make bad choices, and create a cycle of dependency.
4) public schools have become bottomless pits into which money is thrown, and degenerates who can neither read nor write, nor have any conception of responsible behavior come out, and an alarming number of females come out pregnant. The failure of the public school system needs to be addressed, and offering private alternatives shows promise.
5) it is every American's responsibility to uphold and protect the nation, and the armed forces are a legitimate means for the government to provide training, education, and employment while securing essential military security.
6)protecting american interests abroad helps to ensure prosperity at home.

Remember, I am not a conservative. Do not lash into me because you disagree with the above, unless you are a conservative, and want to offer a correction on the positions I have presented.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: December 02, 2016, 06:11:05 pm »

Private schools like this offer no sports teams, no extra curricular activities at all. Just learning. Guess what? You learn more, and it costs a lot less (sports are expensive). Of course it actually costs more, because you still need to pay for the public schools you aren't using. Why can't you decide which school you want the tax money to go to?

Well that isn't exactly why the private schools do better. Some of them even do include extra-curricular or are forced to. As well you HIGHLY over-estimate the number of extra-curricular public schools tend to offer as well, especially to the common student.

Smaller class sizes, one on one, more directed learning, up to date programs... to name a few.

The Learning Disabled classes at my Public Highschool were so efficient we had the highest literacy rate of learning disabled people in the country... We in fact had a higher literacy rate then the standard one in our school.

Then again I have no idea how you fail a literacy test without having serious literacy problems.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: December 02, 2016, 06:14:39 pm »

especially to the common student.

Which means every program they offer simply sucks down money, while benefiting only a small number of the total student body. Much better.

I will admit smaller class sizes are a huge benefit, so how about less useless money sinks and more teachers?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14608 on: December 02, 2016, 06:18:35 pm »

2) abortion should never happen because premarital sex should not be tolerated, and should it still happen, pregnancy is how you make babies and abortion is murder.

There's a significant amount of "We told you not to do that because this could happen. Time to grow up, because you have to live with the consequences of your bad decisions" in this as well.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: December 02, 2016, 06:23:51 pm »

American public education is a piss poor excuse of an education system. YOU LITERALLY CANNOT FAIL THERE. You cannot kick students out because of bad grades. Most parents think school is just an extension of daycare all the way to the teenage years.

Honestly. They have no respect for school because graduation all the way to highschool literally means nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 1249