Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1313519 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: Post-Apocalypse
« Reply #15045 on: December 05, 2016, 01:55:51 am »

Let's agree that Pizzagate is 50/50. That one's a coin-flip.

EDIT: What what? Trump's claimed that nothing can be a conflict of interest if you're the president:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/11/23/trumps-claim-that-the-president-cant-have-a-conflict-of-interest/?utm_term=.80835f8108d7

That's news to me. So he can literally do or own anything and pass laws that funnel money to his family through sweetheart contracts. Still not a conflict of interests, according to Trump. What does he think "president" is? An Emperor?

Trump acknowledged that he recently encouraged British politician Nigel Farage to oppose offshore wind farms that might affect the view from one of his Scottish golf courses — but Trump shrugged off any potential problems.

“The law’s totally on my side, meaning, the president can’t have a conflict of interest,” he said.

Seriously Trump?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:12:44 am by Reelya »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15047 on: December 05, 2016, 02:39:26 am »

OK FREEKEN HECK!!! Does Trump read my posts or something?

I joked and said that people voted Trump into office in order to have a Conflict of interest...

And BOOM! that is EXACTLY how trump is taking it...

OHH GAWD!!! The US is a slave to my darker impulses.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15048 on: December 05, 2016, 02:43:26 am »

Ahh a new Pizzagate story just broke. Some loon with an automatic rifle just raided the shop looking for the pedo sex ring in the "basement" (they don't have a basement: or at least that's what they want you to believe). Shots have been fired.

http://www.news.com.au/world/gunman-fires-shots-inside-store-at-centre-of-fake-clinton-paedophile-ring-story/news-story/938802f8a7074332c4ba0410428197a4
“One person said he wanted to line us up in front of a firing squad,” one employee told the Washington Post. Another said the gunman was looking for tunnels to secret rooms where children were supposedly hidden and tortured.

Man, it's the 1980s satanic daycare center scare all over again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:48:23 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15049 on: December 05, 2016, 02:49:29 am »

What same news story over again? That broke minutes ago, and is relevant to the thread. Check the time the story was published, less than 30 minutes at the moment.

EDIT Right, sorry the thing is, it was published right now where I live. Didn't realize it was posted before, because I don't constantly backtrack the bits of this thread I missed. You guys post way too many pages a day for that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:52:22 am by Reelya »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15050 on: December 05, 2016, 03:59:55 am »

Finally finished doing some spreadsheet calculations for a paper on gerrymandering in 2012.

Using the voting data from every congressional district to calculate the wasted votes (votes that had no impact on the election outcome, either because they were in excess of what was needed for a candidate to win or they were cast for a losing candidate), it turns out that 66.7% of votes had no impact whatsoever on the House elections (which if you consider the turnout technically means that only 18.2% of the voting eligible population decided the outcome). This sounds scarier than it is (FPTP will always waste at minimum half the votes), but what was interesting is that 71.6% of democrat votes were wasted compared to 58.7% of republicans (naturally 100% of third party votes were wasted).

That's not to say that those 81,654,185 wasted votes were entirely without impact. By virtue of existing in a database somewhere, those people influenced how their state got gerrymandered, whether their district would have an election at all (a quick count shows that in 47 districts the winner ran completely unopposed), and how much outside money got spent bombarding them with advertisements (if the incumbent bothered to campaign). Mmm, democracy in action.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: December 05, 2016, 04:14:01 am »

-snip-
Fair enough, I overreacted a little bit. Still, I'm rather afraid of Republicans. I don't remember a single good thing they did, and plenty of bad ones.
The West supported those revolutions because it benefited our power bloc, and for no other reason. Nobody in politics actually believes in this kind of rhetoric, which is why I've been so skeptical of your seriousness.
I'm pretty sure they do, actually, or else they wouldn't try implementing democratic systems in countries like Afghanistan and Iraq. They could've done anything else, like set up a dictator, or just up and leave away after a few month, but they chose a democracy, and they chose the nation-building route, because as I see it, they do care about the spread of liberalism in the world. Not as much as one would hope they would be, but still.

It's also terrifying rhetoric. The rule of law isn't something to get abandoned for shits and giggles. America has, as a democracy, had a longer run of peaceful transfers of power than *anyone*. You don't piss away the most robust liberal political document and structure ever on the basis of your super-fuzzy, future-looking "survival, liberal justice, and Western Civilization" claims.
Unfortunately enough, USA has already pissed that away with electing Donald fucking Trump, whose understanding of Presidency appears to be on the level of an above-the-law-Emperor. Oh wait, it has been pissed away 8 years ago, when Republicans decided that "Nobama" was a good strategy and that politically-motivated obstructionism was a bigger priority than making the country work (government shutdown, anyone?). And really, the only reason why there were so many peaceful transfers of power was because the two parties were almost literally the same deal up until very recently:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, that has ended, so now there's a situation where you have a party that's clearly good and a party that's clearly evil. And there can not - should not - be any equal treatment of both good and evil.

In response to/agree-ance with @MetalSlimeHunt's last point, my question is, when did people start seeing the US as the Land of Moral High Ground? This is a country that has, at different points in history, used guerrilla warfare, promoted Imperialism, committed genocide on a scale you would think impossible, actively used overwhelming force to coerce other nations and groups into deals which lopsidedly benefitted the US, supported notorious terrorist and insurgent groups all over the world, and has invaded countries with no more pretext than to ensure their economic interests are safe.
Since it defeated the greatest international evil that has ever been unleashed on Earth, i.e. Communism, by forcing the countries which were ruled by said evil to spend too much on military and breaking their economies apart as a result, at the very least. Probably a few decades before that, too.

I suspect this might be short-lived thanks to Trump, but it's still good news.
In a post-truth world, it's much more accurate to say "it's still news I prefer" - after all, what is "good"?

Seriously though - that is not intended to bash that particular viewpoint - the whole notion of "good" is at the core of this whole political discussion in the first place.  There is some group of people who think their ideas are "right" and "good" and some other group who thinks different (and often opposite) views are good.

The only laws of the universe are physics - and those don't have "good" ratings.  So as much as some folks like to bash religions or the supernatural, at least those belief systems provide some system for defining "good" that is external to popular opinion or base physical laws.  Hard as I might, I can't figure out how humanists or atheists or anyone else can rationally claim any justification for any moral stance - because the law of the universe is basically "strongest local force wins, and entropy, yo."  There is no justification for saying "we should protect sapient beings" or "we should protect the environment" or "we should try and preserver the human race".  Why?  What's the point?  Why is hurting other beings bad? Why is depleting the earth's resources bad? The universe doesn't care.  Does the universe think there is a difference between a sapient race blowing itself up with nukes and that same civilization dying off because a comet hit their planet?

The way I see it - there are only a few logical paths: - you become something like a Nietzchian "the will to power" kind of person, which is "Whatever I can get away with is by definition right", or you end up in some kind of nihilism or "there is no point to anything" or you end up with "there is some kind of supernatural principle that defines good".  I can't see any other stance as fundamentally logical.  That isn't to say the supernatural approach is easy, because then you have the mess of figuring out which supernatural belief is the correct one - especially because by definition, the "supernatural" is not able to be pinned down by the scientific method.
The idea behind defining good is simple - anyone who doesn't believe in good, becomes irrelevant or simply dies out in the long-term, due to inherent inefficiency of evil behavior. That's why all societies of Earth have about the same understanding of good - and the ones who're deviant from the mainstream are backwards shitholes that are the first in a row to the chopping block.

It's not a fucking coincidence that most societies we think as evil have been either destroyed, collapsed on their own, or have been made thoroughly irrelevant through evil-induced economy failures, and the longest-surviving with continuous government, as well as the most successful by far in all areas, country on Earth, USA, is the one that is more good than everyone else.

Universe does care about good, even if it's not immediately obvious.
._.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: December 05, 2016, 04:20:59 am »

Sergarr, are you being Ironic?

Because you're a bit scary right now... please don't start screaming "BONUM VULT".
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: December 05, 2016, 04:30:13 am »

Because you're a bit scary right now... please don't start screaming "BONUM VULT".
Not particularly. I'm greatly tired of the potentially world-ending shit that is currently unfolding on Earth, and would like for it to end very much.

Also, "bonum vult"? Google says that it translates to "good wishes", is there anything more about that phrase?
._.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: December 05, 2016, 04:35:50 am »

it turns out that 66.7% of votes had no impact whatsoever on the House elections (which if you consider the turnout technically means that only 18.2% of the voting eligible population decided the outcome). This sounds scarier than it is (FPTP will always waste at minimum half the votes), but what was interesting is that 71.6% of democrat votes were wasted compared to 58.7% of republicans (naturally 100% of third party votes were wasted).

*shivers*

But wait, the only system where 0% of the votes are wasted would be a system where every candidate for office will be elected. HMMMMM.

This would never happen, but what do you think of a system where, for congress/parliament/whatever:
1. As now, each party puts forward candidates for each office, and the offices are associated with states
2. Voters vote for one candidate per office
3. Everyone is elected, so every party has a senator for each state. (I'm ignoring the House for the moment)
4. Peeps in congress do not have one vote, they have X votes, where X is the number of people who voted for them.
5. That way, everyone has their representation, all their votes counted, but the ones who got the most votes will have the most power when it comes to voting on laws.

This doesn't address the problems with primaries of course. You clearly can't do the same thing there.

-snip-
Fair enough, I overreacted a little bit. Still, I'm rather afraid of Republicans. I don't remember a single good thing they did, and plenty of bad ones.
Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt were republicans. The one preserved the Union and freed the slaves and died for our sins, and the other broke up trusts and monopolies and didn't afraid of anyone. Those were the last good republicans afair.

The West supported those revolutions because it benefited our power bloc, and for no other reason. Nobody in politics actually believes in this kind of rhetoric, which is why I've been so skeptical of your seriousness.
I'm pretty sure they do, actually, or else they wouldn't try implementing democratic systems in countries like Afghanistan and Iraq. They could've done anything else, like set up a dictator, or just up and leave away after a few month, but they chose a democracy, and they chose the nation-building route, because as I see it, they do care about the spread of liberalism in the world. Not as much as one would hope they would be, but still.
Did a piss-poor job at it, too. Democracy doesn't really seem to work in all cultures, though. (Also Bush & co "lost" a metric shit-ton of money in Iraq)

Unfortunately enough, USA has already pissed that away with electing Donald fucking Trump, whose understanding of Presidency appears to be on the level of an above-the-law-Emperor. Oh wait, it has been pissed away 8 years ago, when Republicans decided that "Nobama" was a good strategy and that politically-motivated obstructionism was a bigger priority than making the country work (government shutdown, anyone?). And really, the only reason why there were so many peaceful transfers of power was because the two parties were almost literally the same deal up until very recently:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, that has ended, so now there's a situation where you have a party that's clearly good and a party that's clearly evil. And there can not - should not - be any equal treatment of both good and evil.
The "gush and bore are identical, vote for me instead" bullshit in 2000 is why* we had a fool in office as 9/11 approached, and why the invasion of iraq happened.

* I recall seeing something recently that said that nader did *not* actually cost gore the election. Apathy and him being painted as a robot still might have, though.

In response to/agree-ance with @MetalSlimeHunt's last point, my question is, when did people start seeing the US as the Land of Moral High Ground? This is a country that has, at different points in history, used guerrilla warfare, promoted Imperialism, committed genocide on a scale you would think impossible, actively used overwhelming force to coerce other nations and groups into deals which lopsidedly benefitted the US, supported notorious terrorist and insurgent groups all over the world, and has invaded countries with no more pretext than to ensure their economic interests are safe.
Since it defeated the greatest international evil that has ever been unleashed on Earth, i.e. Communism, by forcing the countries which were ruled by said evil to spend too much on military and breaking their economies apart as a result, at the very least. Probably a few decades before that, too.
"Who controls the past controls the future; Who controls the present controls the past."
"History is written by the victors."

Not particularly. I'm greatly tired of the potentially world-ending shit that is currently unfolding on Earth, and would like for it to end very much.

Also, "bonum vult"? Google says that it translates to "good wishes", is there anything more about that phrase?

DEUS VULT
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: December 05, 2016, 04:42:39 am »

"Deus Vult" was the moto of the crusaders.

What you wrote is a mix of manifest destiny and of direction of history. It's not exactly sound nor convincing if you put it in any context.

First, you're pretending that evil behavior leads to one's ruin. If you know history, you'll see that not two empire has the same values, and that "not evil behaviour" as defined by you is, during most of history:

-Predictable harvest
-Strong, disciplined army
-A well codified rule of law.

Second, you're proposing that "goodness" is correlated to success. The most successful empire to date is the British colonial empire, which was,... not so good by most measures. And fell in big parts due to ruinous wars with Germany, France and Spain, not by any un-goodness induced historic punishment.

Third, holding the same reasoning in the late 1800's would have you be a white supremacist, in 1935 you would be a Bolshevik, and in 1941 a fascist.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 04:58:58 am by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: December 05, 2016, 05:12:54 am »

it turns out that 66.7% of votes had no impact whatsoever on the House elections (which if you consider the turnout technically means that only 18.2% of the voting eligible population decided the outcome). This sounds scarier than it is (FPTP will always waste at minimum half the votes), but what was interesting is that 71.6% of democrat votes were wasted compared to 58.7% of republicans (naturally 100% of third party votes were wasted).

*shivers*

But wait, the only system where 0% of the votes are wasted would be a system where every candidate for office will be elected. HMMMMM.

This would never happen, but what do you think of a system where, for congress/parliament/whatever:
1. As now, each party puts forward candidates for each office, and the offices are associated with states
2. Voters vote for one candidate per office
3. Everyone is elected, so every party has a senator for each state. (I'm ignoring the House for the moment)
4. Peeps in congress do not have one vote, they have X votes, where X is the number of people who voted for them.
5. That way, everyone has their representation, all their votes counted, but the ones who got the most votes will have the most power when it comes to voting on laws.

This doesn't address the problems with primaries of course. You clearly can't do the same thing there.

For comparison, Sweden in 2014 wasted around 4% of their votes.

There was a thread around discussing something similar to that system. Seems like a solution in search of a problem, that itself creates a whole host of issues.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:23 am »

I have to say the US has had some awesome instances of Gerrymandering.

70%+ majority and they STILL lose because of how the districts were drawn.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:28 am »

I guess it's a word joke. Bonum vult could be translated as 'good wills it', and deus vult 'god wills it'
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: December 05, 2016, 05:19:49 am »

On that topic, the main issues seems to be : why give so much power to the president in a federation.

The US have the very logical and legitimate system of not giving every members of their federation a weight that only depend on their number of inhabitant.
That's just logical. But then they give a shitton of power to the president in a one single vote, and that part is retarded.

I mean the second part of the proposition pretty much negate the first :

-We'll use a mechanism that make sure that everyone is heard!
-AND NOW WE'LL MAKE AN VOTE THAT CAN SHIFT 100% THE DIRECTION OF THE COUNTRY FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS BASED ON A FEW % OF FLUCTUATION!!!!!

I mean wtf?

edit : 10 year for this election because of all the peoples Trump will be able to appoint.

Usually it's "we'll give you a lot of power for only 4 years, so we'll rely on you a lot but you won't have the time to implement any long term plans". Which is WTF esque too.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:55:38 am by Phmcw »

Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 1249