Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1313348 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1605 on: July 27, 2016, 11:56:21 pm »

If by what it needs, you mean what it needs to stop being the world hegemon, I guess...

Having others take up the slack and take some of the responsibility would be nice, but unfortunately, theres sometimes things that only the US can do (or at least do more easily) with our resources. So, it won't be easy....

Which btw is NOT isolationism, more like using the velvet hand rather than the iron hand, to use a metaphor.

For sure as heck I dont want any nation but maybe Canada take up any of the US world "hegemony". Its not responsibility but power, just imagine if it were the Chinese that had the military to control the world naval trade. US may start wars on a regular basis but at least I can recognize you as a democracy with a somewhat working justice system.

I dont believe that isolationism is what USA or its allies need... I find both candicates disgusting and dont have a strong opinion on which one could be better the lesser of two evils, but you aint getting another passive Obama this time.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1606 on: July 28, 2016, 12:05:17 am »

believe we had a rather large poll on that topic.  Took place in all 50 states.  Ended with Cruz dropping a microphone in Cleveland out of the hope that Trump would lose his security deposit.
Nah, I mean now. After Cruz has fallen out, and Trump has his masses of rabid detractors.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: July 28, 2016, 01:52:51 am »

Trump has always had masses of rabid detractors. Since he announced he was running, there've been articles comparing him to Hitler and calling him a fascist coming out on a regular basis. His "unfavorable" rating is actually approaching the lowest it's ever been which suggests that he's losing detractors, not gaining them.

When Trump wins in November, it'll almost certainly be due to Dems fleeing from Clinton and voting third-party, while establishment Republican politicians look on, horrified at what they've allowed into the White House but unable to do anything because their base has fallen for Donald's populist rhetoric hook, line, and sinker.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: July 28, 2016, 02:26:22 am »

Yeah third-party have some stupidly strong support as of lately. Must be due to all the "purity" politics going on - Tea Party and "Bernie or Bust" movements didn't appear from nowhere, it seems.

Which is part of the reason why I'm so concerned about Trump. I don't understand why Trump gets so many votes, and that's worrying me. He's the living embodiment of "purity", as opposed to Clinton, who appears to be an embodiment of "diversity". His base voter base should be much smaller than Clinton's, if we compare them by counting the number of people with identities of who they stand for - and yet, they're so close to each other that a single convention bump is enough to put Trump on the same level - or even above her.

This Tom Clancy-escue bullshit is really getting to me.
._.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: July 28, 2016, 04:01:40 am »

Apart from him being a cult of personality and making George W Bush look like a rocket scientist, he does a pretty good job of hitting the same get-rid-of-the-scary-people-that-aren't-one-of-us notes that any other republican would be doing, he just does it straight up instead of trying to have any tact whatsoever.

What I'm saying is, he's pretty much got the same base as the republicans have had for decades now.

I miss John McCain.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: July 28, 2016, 04:05:48 am »

Then maybe John McCain shouldn't have been a communist sympathizing ISIS supporter.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1611 on: July 28, 2016, 04:49:57 am »

remove globalis

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: July 28, 2016, 07:47:35 am »

Some might call it ironic, but that's not what irony means ;)
But calling things which are merely sarcasm irony IS itself ironic.

...First Woman President™
Fun fact: the ™ in my name is pronounced "Thyme" and is part of how I sign my name, so my mind jumps to "wait, is the missus running for election again after that last fiasco?" for some reason.

If by what it needs, you mean what it needs to stop being the world hegemon, I guess...

Having others take up the slack and take some of the responsibility would be nice, but unfortunately, theres sometimes things that only the US can do (or at least do more easily) with our resources. So, it won't be easy....

Which btw is NOT isolationism, more like using the velvet hand rather than the iron hand, to use a metaphor.

For sure as heck I dont want any nation but maybe Canada take up any of the US world "hegemony". Its not responsibility but power, just imagine if it were the Chinese that had the military to control the world naval trade. US may start wars on a regular basis but at least I can recognize you as a democracy with a somewhat working justice system.

I dont believe that isolationism is what USA or its allies need... I find both candicates disgusting and dont have a strong opinion on which one could be better the lesser of two evils, but you aint getting another passive Obama this time.
Glory to the Maple Leaf Empire! Incidentally, passive Obama got bin Laden capped with a covert raid into another country and got away without shit blowing up.

I will miss him, I can do a surprisingly good Obama impersonation, but my Trump and Hillary are shit.

"America... is already great." *drop mic, walk away*

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: July 28, 2016, 09:44:51 am »

I wouldn't figure Tom Clancy to be widely known in Russia.

I miss John McCain.

John McCain was horrible.  He just seems better because the republicans have found a worse candidate then anyone can imagine.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: July 28, 2016, 09:48:25 am »

Everyone knows the audience loves the villain more than the hero.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: July 28, 2016, 10:07:37 am »

Explains this election.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: July 28, 2016, 10:09:05 am »

I mean...
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: July 28, 2016, 11:38:32 am »

I don't know about "widely", but it's one of the few American things I've knew about even before I joined this forum. Mostly because of "Tom Clancy's" games and the, uh, interesting reviews in Russian gaming magazines towards them.

EDIT: Just asked my parents and yes, they also know about Tom Clancy. Seems like he's indeed widely known in Russia.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: July 28, 2016, 12:23:47 pm »

Occasionally, when I hear about things that are smash hits outside their origin culture, I'm kind of surprised by it.

But not Russia. Never Russia.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: July 28, 2016, 12:24:43 pm »

In other Trump-related news, his campaign manager has said that Trump will not be releasing his taxes, and also that:
"It has nothing to do with Russia, it has nothing to do with any country other than the United States and his normal tax auditing process," Manafort added.

[SUSPICIOUSLY SPECIFIC DENIAL INTENSIFIES]
Am I imagining things, or wasn't one of the things that Trump said, months ago, something like "I've released my tax returns, everybody else should do it too, unless they are afraid...."? I think in the context of the early Republican rounds, I think, and the 'fact' that he was self-funding*. But my Google-Fu is currently hitting the brick wall of the current news (and certainly as far back as May), so I don't know if I just imagined it, now.

* Third time's a charm. Android keyboard autocompleted that as "self-gratification" the first time, and "self-radicalisation" the second time. (I want to turn off the predictive choices buttons, but can't work out how!) I thought them funny, even though not what I was trying to type.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 1249