Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297497 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1785 on: July 29, 2016, 11:57:47 pm »

Nobody ever shoves a microphone in my face and asks if I'm being silenced. :'(
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1786 on: July 30, 2016, 03:05:59 am »

I think Trump might have an outright psychotic break before the election. And the Trumpets will call it genius.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 30, 2016, 03:21:34 am »

Maybe he exists in a state of continuous psychotic break.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 30, 2016, 04:13:21 am »

Neither a felony assault charge nor conviction prevents someone from running or being elected El Presidente. In fact, it might allow a candidate to play up military credentials.

How would that work in practice? Say, Trump is convicted for a felony, and sent to jail for 4 years, and is elected the day after. Will he have to do his president job from a jail cell?

Mental image of Putin being body cavity searched before being allowed to visit Trump is funny mental image. "bend over mister Putin, it is for your own safety"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:16:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: July 30, 2016, 04:43:14 am »

Congress would probbably deal with it pretty sharpish, probbably by impeachment on trumped-up (heh) charges.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: July 30, 2016, 06:55:48 am »

Neither a felony assault charge nor conviction prevents someone from running or being elected El Presidente. In fact, it might allow a candidate to play up military credentials.
Bit late, but while that's technically true, do you really think someone with a felony conviction would actually manage to get the position? Particularly if they netted it during the campaign? Particularly if they're running as a republican "fuck criminals with a cyanide laced cactus" candidate?

Disqualified was probably the wrong word (unless the republican party has something in their bylaws or whatever that says they can/must strip candidacy from a felon, which I would be entirely unsurprised if they did), but something like that is basically a death knell for someone running for a major political position. It's one of the reasons people have been saying about the only thing that would have stopped clinton's dem nomination was if she actually got indicted.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: July 30, 2016, 07:14:51 am »

That's sort of the rub, though. Most people who could indict a candidate have a vested interest in preventing that from happening.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: July 30, 2016, 07:16:48 am »

Sure, but it's kinda' hard to nudge that thing under the carpet when it happens on live TV :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: July 30, 2016, 08:59:41 am »

That's sort of the rub, though. Most people who could indict a candidate have a vested interest in preventing that from happening.

No they really dont.  This is like those "oh but the scientists make so much money off global warming" theories.  It's the chance to be the next woodward and bernstein but in the public spotlight...  Who doesn't want to go down in history as a hero?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:01:28 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: July 30, 2016, 09:50:31 am »

Bit late, but while that's technically true, do you really think someone with a felony conviction would actually manage to get the position? Particularly if they netted it during the campaign? Particularly if they're running as a republican "fuck criminals with a cyanide laced cactus" candidate?

Disqualified was probably the wrong word (unless the republican party has something in their bylaws or whatever that says they can/must strip candidacy from a felon, which I would be entirely unsurprised if they did), but something like that is basically a death knell for someone running for a major political position. It's one of the reasons people have been saying about the only thing that would have stopped clinton's dem nomination was if she actually got indicted.

Judging from the current election season, I'm no longer remotely qualified to predict what the American electorate is okay with. I mean, I'm not going to tempt fate by saying that nothing would surprise me, but a felon winning would not be over the belief line, I think.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 30, 2016, 10:34:43 am »

Judging from the current election season, I'm no longer remotely qualified to predict what the American electorate is okay with. I mean, I'm not going to tempt fate by saying that nothing would surprise me, but a felon winning would not be over the belief line, I think.

The republicans ALREADY think Clinton is a felon. I still think that she should at least make her case in court, but I have a hard time seeing them being able to find a fair jury because unless you're living somewhere that has been isolated from everything that's been released and said over the emails over the past two years (or maybe before Benghazi), everybody has some sort of opinion about her by now. Sure, they could attempt to make it half republican and half democrat *, but I think we all know where that is going to lead.

*Though if this were done, outside obervers would probably scream 'POLITICAL!!!!'. Not to mention going somewhere with juries that we should never go.**

**That said, it'd probably be impossible to give Hillary a fair trial in this political climate.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1796 on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:40 pm »

I'm gonna make five PACs:

Basic Natural Science PAC: Donates a small amount of money to candidates at any level who pass a basic science rubric of knowledge and practice. A candidates' failure to receive funding from BNSP implies that he or she has made gross science errors or has opposed scientific fact where inconvenient to a large degree.

Basic Political Science PAC: Like BNSP, but for basic political knowledge. Really, every career politician should have a basic functioning knowledge of the powers of their office, but sadly....

Basic Economic Science PAC: As BNSP, focusing instead on economic theory and effect. Politicans are judged for the success of organizations they have administered, with a heavy weight towards alternatives to GDP (which while simple to calculate, is inaccurate), and against regions which export their problems.

Basic Ethics PAC: Again donates a token quantity of money only to politicians who pass a simple rubric of good practices and limited nepotism.

Basic PAC: redistributes money to the other four PACs equally, has a politically neutral oversight committee, and publishes a periodical which lists all politicians that receive money from any sub-PAC.

Importantly, no Basic PAC documents anywhere mention party membership of candidates. Everyone is measured by their individual merits.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 30, 2016, 12:23:45 pm »

have fun checking the eligibility of 50+ obscure third-party candidates

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 30, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »

I still think that she should at least make her case in court,

I'm pretty sure that would just make things worse.

Basic Economic Science PAC: As BNSP, focusing instead on economic theory and effect. Politicans are judged for the success of organizations they have administered, with a heavy weight towards alternatives to GDP (which while simple to calculate, is inaccurate), and against regions which export their problems.

If it was possible to actually do this objectively and accurately then our government would have started publishing these statistics back under the Carter administration who wanted this stuff publicized.  At least the Carter administration wanted this according to an economist I knew who worked in government statistics back then.

Also, O'Malley was interested in this sort of stuff FWIW.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:39:48 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: July 30, 2016, 12:39:23 pm »

A victory for democracy.

The voter ID law in NC was struck down by the the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals following a similar occurrence in WI yesterday.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 1249