Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1317826 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7080 on: October 15, 2016, 11:00:40 am »

Just noticed this shit. I guess having another reason to tell pence to go fuck himself is a thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: October 15, 2016, 11:04:35 am »

Just noticed this shit. I guess having another reason to tell pence to go fuck himself is a thing.

That stinks to high heaven of illegality and corruption.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: October 15, 2016, 11:09:27 am »

It's the sort of thing where it sounds so extreme it's usually best to hold back our judgement for confirmation.  But if they are actually destroying 50,000 new registrations that is simply horrendous.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: October 15, 2016, 11:36:45 am »

It'll depend on if the registrations get out of police custody before the election, mostly, or at the least the effected are allowed to vote anyway. No accusations of destruction, yet, just temporary... relocation, I guess. Still all sorts of screwed up, and if it does disenfranchise those tens of thousands someone probably needs to be put in jail. Starting with pence, and working the way down.

E: Though it may be worth noting I've seen some indiana folks note that their (years old) registration has just up and disappeared between the primaries and now. If that's not just one off it may be more than new ones that are going missing. We got any folks from there that are intending to vote, you might want to double check to make sure something hasn't gone wrong with your paperwork.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:44:37 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: October 15, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »

You're thinking egotist.

Narcissists could give less of a shit what other people think; they love themselves just fine.

No like seriously please don't conflate the two. Humor me on this.
No please say more. As an... expert, let's say, on the issue of personality disorders, I'm highly curious to hear you explain your logic and where you got the info from. This isn't a loaded question, I'm genuinely curious. I've a lot of experience with them in person and some experience in the theory, but I'm much weaker on the theoretical aspect than the practice. Wouldn't a malignant narcissist, for example, count as someone who cares what others say? The ability to not care what people say is generally considered a result of being well-rounded, rather than a narcissism, so where does a narcissists turn into a more unhealthy form? And could you define egotist for me too? I've heard the term, but am unfamiliar.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: October 15, 2016, 12:46:03 pm »

... and now trump has suggested pre-debate drug tests. I wonder what he's going to do if clinton calls him on it?
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: October 15, 2016, 12:48:29 pm »

As if this shit could get any weirder. Probably the Secret Service will intervene and falsify both results.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: October 15, 2016, 01:05:43 pm »

... and now trump has suggested pre-debate drug tests. I wonder what he's going to do if clinton calls him on it?

Performance enhancing drugs are such a problem.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: October 15, 2016, 01:50:14 pm »

*sniff*
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: October 15, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »

Roplegeek, you clearly have never actually read any of the literature about narcissists.

Narcissists have very thin skin. They often had a childhood with extremely demanding parents, who criticized them a lot and held them to extreme standards. As a result, they seek positive affirmation and are irrationally adverse to even slight criticism. So they seek to always receive positive energy, no matter what. This can be either seeking sympathy (they tend to make shit up about how other people mistreated them) or self-aggrandizement (they make shit up about how awesome they are). And when they do something wrong, they make shit up to deflect blame or outright claim the problem doesn't exist. Basically they can't deal with criticism in any normal way, and it's these occasions where the cracks really show.

Either way, narcissists are extremely well-known for lying to make themselves look good, or to get praise or to get sympathy. It's the exact opposite of not caring what people thing. They will make themselves out to be pathetic victims, if it gets people to feed them positive energy. You couldn't come up with another group who cares more about what people think than narcissists do.

I've had a narcissist flatmate. It's extremely common among artists. This guy was older, and a huge name-dropper about famous Australian 20th century artists: he claimed he was friends with the two most famous ones. And what did he say about them? That both of them told him how amazing his art was. He also spun "woe is me" stories about how his previous flatmates were monsters who almost killed him. And any time anything went wrong in the house, he'd either blame someone else or blatantly claim the problem didn't exist, even though multiple people were looking at the problem while he's saying it. Narcissists are very short-term thinkers. They're all about the immediate energy that's being directed at them, and they won't act apologetic even for a second, even if it would mean less criticism later: they're all about shutting you up right now through lying.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:22:11 pm by Reelya »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: October 15, 2016, 02:20:32 pm »

You're thinking egotist.

Narcissists could give less of a shit what other people think; they love themselves just fine.

No like seriously please don't conflate the two. Humor me on this.
No please say more. As an... expert, let's say, on the issue of personality disorders, I'm highly curious to hear you explain your logic and where you got the info from. This isn't a loaded question, I'm genuinely curious. I've a lot of experience with them in person and some experience in the theory, but I'm much weaker on the theoretical aspect than the practice. Wouldn't a malignant narcissist, for example, count as someone who cares what others say? The ability to not care what people say is generally considered a result of being well-rounded, rather than a narcissism, so where does a narcissists turn into a more unhealthy form? And could you define egotist for me too? I've heard the term, but am unfamiliar.
A. I was on the path to being a narcissist, as in diagnosably so up until I found that out and made a conscious effort not to be a massive douche because I want to help people. So it might just be a personal thing, but I rather dislike being compared to Trump. That's why I say humor me.

B. Yes, a certain amount of narcissism is healthy. Self-interest is part of development, and I count myself lucky that I was narcissistic rather than depressive, as humility seems easier to learn than self-confidence.

C. So, from what I know, egotists are concerned with how people think of them and are sensitive to having their pride hurt. They are dependent on praise and admiration. Narcissists enjoy praise and admiration, obviously, but the difference is essentially pride vs. self-confidence. And mind you, it's a difference in technicalities, odds are they overlap quite frequently, and in practice both are typically douchebags. Narcissists don't care about other people, and don't really make an effort to build up relationships/their reputation, while egotists need attention and are often more manipulative. Both can be nearly sociopathic in their tendencies. Not a true expert on this, however.

@Reelya, would you say that narcissist and egotist are synonyms? Because as far as I know, they are not, even if they are very similar. From what I know, that's an egotist, not a narcissist. Ego versus Narcissus.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: October 15, 2016, 02:24:09 pm »

There's no diagnosis for egotism in the DSM-IV as far as I know, it's covered under NPD.

People with narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by their persistent grandiosity, excessive need for admiration, and a disdain and lack of empathy for others. These individuals often display arrogance, a sense of superiority, and power-seeking behaviors. Narcissistic personality disorder is different from having a strong sense of self-confidence; people with NPD typically value themselves over others to the extent that they disregard the feelings and wishes of others and expect to be treated as superior regardless of their actual status or achievements. In addition, people with NPD may exhibit fragile egos, an inability to tolerate criticism, and a tendency to belittle others in an attempt to validate their own superiority.

I've heard that narcissists also don't process boundaries the same as other people. that's the difference between a sociopath and a narcissist (both can be lying manipulators). e.g. a sociopath will drink the last of your milk, fully knowing it's your milk and not giving a fuck. A narcissist hasn't factored who owns the milk into their thought-processes in the first place. "My stomach needs milk. There is milk. Therefore, milk goes into my stomach". The narcissist will tend to blow up and call you "petty" if you question them for using up all your milk (they're genuinely surprised that someone is upset: after all them drinking the milk is the natural order of things, and they're super-defensive about being criticized. After all it's just milk. of course, if you drank their milk, completely different situation), whereas a sociopath will laugh at you about being upset.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:31:34 pm by Reelya »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: October 15, 2016, 02:28:41 pm »

There's no diagnosis for egoism in the DSM-IV as far as I know, it's covered under NPD.
*shrug* Humor me, then.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: October 15, 2016, 02:31:49 pm »

Again, Trump fits histrionic personality disorder more than narcissistic personality disorder.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: October 15, 2016, 02:40:44 pm »

Dat's sexist.

HPD affects four times as many women as men.

Well it's named after a part of the female genitalia, because the condition does actually disproportionately affect women, just as other mental disorders disproportionately affect men. There's actually a conspiracy theory about this, that the condition (originally called hysteria) was concocted to keep uppity women down. Another one which is gendered is Dissociative identity disorder. It's 9 times as likely to be diagnosed in women than men. The mirror-image of autism-spectrum disorders, which are 10-to-1 male-to-female. I'd argue that the reason these conditions came to be known as "hysteria" wasn't because of sexist doctors labelling uppity women, but they actually noted the real conditions which were prevalent in women, and gave them a gendered name because of that valid observation. Sure, their explanation was dumb (linking the uterus to mental disorders), but it was a "correlation is not causation" issue rather than doctors making shit up.

But it's incredibly "un-PC" for anyone to acknowledge that any mental disorders with a strong female bias actually exist. Which I'm pretty certain is actually a bad thing for female sufferers. It'd be like pretending autism isn't a thing in men.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:57:33 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 1249