Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1313181 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8130 on: October 21, 2016, 05:20:15 pm »

To say it's a middle ground is perhaps dishonest. No statistically significant number of people are like "get me pregnant and we'll just cut the brain stem later", but around 15-20% of Americans do think abortion is murder and should never be legal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8131 on: October 21, 2016, 05:22:58 pm »

Alright, maybe a bit unclear, I meant the two extremes of pro choice of "Abortion is murder but government control is super murder" and "Eh, abortion isn't really a big deal"

Point is, she's not saying that there's no moral issues at all with abortion. That was just what I meant.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:25:05 pm by Criptfeind »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8132 on: October 21, 2016, 05:26:05 pm »

In that context, the "middle ground" is the only one that makes any sense. I mean, yes, it's preventing a human life from occurring, nobody's going to just abort their fetus off-handedly. It's a big deal. But it's also not murder. The only argument for "that blob of sixteen cells is a person" is "God said so", or at least that's the only one I've seen.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8133 on: October 21, 2016, 05:26:48 pm »

Hillary's comments on abortion are pretty much what you hear from far-left, pro-choice in all circumstances, clinic-volunteering feminists. I can't see how it could possibly be a careful compromising stance.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8134 on: October 21, 2016, 05:28:09 pm »

I'm not here for a "how pro choice" are you debate, I was just pointing out that someone said she didn't seem to have any moral issue in the debate, which simply wasn't true.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8135 on: October 21, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »

Trump can't overturn RvW... he'll be president, not judge.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8136 on: October 21, 2016, 05:43:15 pm »

SCOTUS appointments, doz.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8137 on: October 21, 2016, 05:45:19 pm »

There's a seat on the supreme court the president needs to fill, and probably another 1-2 could come up in the next four years or something like that. So, well. Maybe he could. I don't really know enough about the supreme court to know if a 2-3 seat swing could move it back to anti abortion, but it's possible afaik and certainly it'd be swinging in that direction.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8138 on: October 21, 2016, 05:45:43 pm »

Trump can't overturn RvW... he'll be president, not judge.
The winner of this election is absolutely guaranteed one Justice pick, will probably have around three, and could reasonably have five or six. There's also always the possibility that every single member of the court dies or retires over the next eight years. It can all change.
I'm not here for a "how pro choice" are you debate, I was just pointing out that someone said she didn't seem to have any moral issue in the debate, which simply wasn't true.
I don't see how that's not true. She didn't address the morality of it, she said it was personally difficult for people getting abortions, which is just...fact. I don't have any moral objection to abortion and I think it would be a difficult decision. It has massive consequences.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8139 on: October 21, 2016, 06:10:33 pm »

I'm not sure if I agree on what has moral elements with you. "It's hard." "It's a big decision" "There are health concerns." "There are massive consequences." All seem to have some (some more then others) moral element to them to me.

I mean, honestly maybe you could say that maybe she meant it from a purely economic and health perspective, and I could see one then saying that that has nothing to do with morals. But that'd be a stretch. That's simply not at all how it was presented.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8140 on: October 21, 2016, 06:14:49 pm »

It's emotionally difficult, dude.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8141 on: October 21, 2016, 06:15:09 pm »

There are personal consequences that are not necessarily moral in nature. Having a child or not having a child I think is not a moral question, and it has extreme consequences on your life and the lives of others no matter which choice is made.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8142 on: October 21, 2016, 06:17:56 pm »

... haven't you said the exact opposite? Pretty sure I've seen you ranting about the immorality of having kids, particularly more than one or two.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8143 on: October 21, 2016, 06:19:31 pm »

Children ruin your life, my mommy said so.

Aww, I made myself feel bad.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8144 on: October 21, 2016, 06:21:04 pm »

It's emotionally difficult, dude.
There are personal consequences that are not necessarily moral in nature. Having a child or not having a child I think is not a moral question, and it has extreme consequences on your life and the lives of others no matter which choice is made.

Morality is a large and complex thing. I'd say both of these are involved in it.
Pages: 1 ... 541 542 [543] 544 545 ... 1249