Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1318320 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ameripol\{RK, mainiac}
« Reply #1560 on: July 27, 2016, 06:34:36 pm »

War between the United States and I Russia within 10 years. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.
proxy war, local conflict or total war?

People wearing American flags and people wearing Russian flags killing each other.
An international politics thread?

We're winding down the American Century. All politics are American politics at some level or another.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: July 27, 2016, 06:35:38 pm »

War between the United States and I Russia within 10 years. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.
I think a war between Russia and the USA is more likely with Hillary in the Oval Office - she has a history of warmongering and a very staunch anti-Russian position. Trump will be quite busy dealing with political enemies at home, so the focus of USA may probably be shifted away from Eastern Europe (at least for a while), especially if he follows his campaign promises (unlikely).

If Clinton gets into power, anything goes, and that's bad news for me because my chances of survival in a full-scale war between Russia and America are very low.

It'll probably be a proxy war if anything. Heck, we're already in a proxy-proxy war over Syria, even though we aren't in direct conflict.

She has a history of warmongering, yes, but maybe that'll make our opponents think twice instead of blowing it off like they do Obama.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 27, 2016, 06:43:32 pm »

I think a war between Russia and the USA is more likely with Hillary in the Oval Office - she has a history of warmongering and a very staunch anti-Russian position. Trump will be quite busy dealing with political enemies at home, so the focus of USA may probably be shifted away from Eastern Europe (at least for a while), especially if he follows his campaign promises (unlikely).

If Clinton gets into power, anything goes, and that's bad news for me because my chances of survival in a full-scale war between Russia and America are very low.

It'll probably be a proxy war if anything. Heck, we're already in a proxy-proxy war over Syria, even though we aren't in direct conflict.

She has a history of warmongering, yes, but maybe that'll make our opponents think twice instead of blowing it off like they do Obama.
Maybe! Maybe not.

Not really sure what we'd be fighting for, though. Because it's Russia and we don't like them?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: July 27, 2016, 06:46:36 pm »

Presumably because russia invaded a NATO country or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: July 27, 2016, 06:53:03 pm »

I think it might be a runaway escalation of a border incident or a diplomatic conflict, with the US President going full madman diplomacy and Russia simply refusing to yield. Like that spy kidnapping thingamajig in Estonia from last year - a more aggressive US President could probably declare it an act of aggression against NATO and threaten Russia with war.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:56:25 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: July 27, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »

It would take a serious buffoon to start WW3. Putin makes plenty of mistakes, but he is not yet so full of himself that he cannot see the obvious: that there could be no winning WW3 for him. Russia might not lose, but it could not possible win. Best guess is one side finally gains a decisive advantage, and the other side says "ok cool. Also the war ends now with status quo ante bellum or nukes". As for Trump, he doesn't seem like he cares, although I don't think anyone knows what Trump actually has in mind, ever.

Not really sure what we'd be fighting for, though. Because it's Russia and we don't like them?
"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: July 27, 2016, 07:00:58 pm »

I think it might be a runaway escalation of a border incident or a diplomatic conflict, with the US President going full madman diplomacy and Russia simply refusing to yield. Like that spy kidnapping thingamajig in Estonia from last year - a more aggressive US President could probably declare it an act of aggression against NATO and threaten Russia with war.

I dunno. You may have seen how she reacts to things in comparison to Trump, she is more measured and careful while Trump fires right off the bat. Granted, there would be more message control in the White House, but do you really see Clinton as being an impulsive person? That scenario seems a lot more likely under a Trump adminstration than a Clinton one.

Also, Trump defines madman diplomacy.

It would take a serious buffoon to start WW3. Putin makes plenty of mistakes, but he is not yet so full of himself that he cannot see the obvious: that there could be no winning WW3 for him. Russia might not lose, but it could not possible win. Best guess is one side finally gains a decisive advantage, and the other side says "ok cool. Also the war ends now with status quo ante bellum or nukes". As for Trump, he doesn't seem like he cares, although I don't think anyone knows what Trump actually has in mind, ever.

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

There is no such thing as a winner in a nuclear war, just those who lose a bit less than others.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:02:56 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: July 27, 2016, 07:10:50 pm »

although I don't think anyone knows what Trump actually has in mind, ever
Isn't it obvious? Money. He always has money in mind, that's why he looks and sounds like a Communist caricature of a capitalist.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: July 27, 2016, 07:12:48 pm »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 27, 2016, 07:29:20 pm »

although I don't think anyone knows what Trump actually has in mind, ever
Isn't it obvious? Money. He always has money in mind, that's why he looks and sounds like a Communist caricature of a capitalist.

The Cold War was a race to see whether Trump or Gorbachev happens first.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:00 pm »

If anything, I think relations between Russia and the U.S might actually improve under Trump. Him and Putin off-handedly seem to share a similar style of business. There is a potential there for them understanding one another and actually coordinating efforts; something which I cannot foresee happening with Clinton.

That said, given Putin's track record, I hardly believe that this relationship will be positive for the American reputation.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 27, 2016, 07:40:06 pm »

If anything, I think relations between Russia and the U.S might actually improve under Trump. Him and Putin off-handedly seem to share a similar style of business. There is a potential there for them understanding one another and actually coordinating efforts; something which I cannot foresee happening with Clinton.

That said, given Putin's track record, I hardly believe that this relationship will be positive for the American reputation.

And Trump would probably let him take over all of Europe if Putin really wanted to :P

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: July 27, 2016, 07:40:14 pm »

Giving people what they want isn't necessarily the foundation of a productive relationship.  For instance the US has been giving stuff to Israel and Egypt for a long time.  How's that working out?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1573 on: July 27, 2016, 07:53:32 pm »

Pretty well for them
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: July 27, 2016, 08:18:52 pm »

And Trump would probably let him take over all of Europe if Putin really wanted to :P
Maybe they'll cut a deal where Russia gets Europe and we get all of the Western Hemisphere unopposed. Oceania has always been friends with Eurasia.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 1249