Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1318507 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #6795 on: October 13, 2016, 12:11:53 am »

Okay, we're in a post-Trump world now,

I keep waiting for something to happen to show that no, it doesn't work that way.  Trump will never win a majority of a state in the primaries because he is just be a fluke of a divided primary.  Kasich will win another damn state besides Ohio and show that the republicans just were too slow to organize behind a credible candidate.  Cruz will run on a stop Trump ticket and peel off states like Utah and Alaska to show that the party doesn't like Trump.  Trump will lose in the biggest landslide ever because people understand he isn't a plausible candidate.  If one of these things could happen then we could accept that this all was just a horrible one off event and not the way the world really works.  These would be signs that the sane world was just covered up by some stupid short term decisions but sanity will reassert itself the next time around.

But Trump started winning majorities, Kasich never got a second state, Cruz phonebanked for the man who slandered his family and Trump is still appealing to a very broad swathe of the electorate.  It looks like the people are going to stop Trump at the ballot box which is a relief but it's way too close.  Election day is the final line of defense and the biggest gun in the arsenal the democracy uses to protect itself from would be usurpers.  Why the hell is it taking the biggest gun we have to stop a bogeyman who should have been knocked on his ass by five minutes of laughter?

It will take a long, long time before we can stop considering it a post-Trump world.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: October 13, 2016, 12:37:59 am »

I again am invoking 2016 as the explanation. Trump only became viable after the death of David Bowie, and that's not a coincidence.

Not only that, but the capture of the Nigerian Prince and the Honkening both prove that this year contains powers not of this world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: October 13, 2016, 12:40:03 am »

It will take a long, long time before we can stop considering it a post-Trump world.

Hopefully not too long, as the largest demographic that supported him should start dying out in large enough numbers to lose their strangehold on politics in the next few years.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: October 13, 2016, 12:42:58 am »

Uuuuunfortunately, I don't think it's gonna be that easy. Else we wouldn't have Internet flooded to the brim with Trump propaganda.
._.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: October 13, 2016, 01:03:32 am »

If nothing else, Trump has the firmest grasp on Memetics in politics.

Maybe not the firmest grasp on reality, but that might be what makes him and his phrases and his appearance et al so memetic.

This is where it begins. This is how the world ends. Not with fire, or ice, or carbon dioxide, or an alien invasion. No.

It ends with fabricated memes from the government.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: October 13, 2016, 01:11:04 am »

A good amount of that is on loan from Mister Putin though http://www.businessinsider.com/russia-internet-trolls-and-donald-trump-2016-7

As for the rest of it, most is the alt-right. And as successful as they were, bubbling beneath the surface and making ideologies seemingly appear out of nowhere, I doubt they will suffer the light of day nicely.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:14:16 am by alway »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: October 13, 2016, 01:48:48 am »

Capture of the Nigerian Prince?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: October 13, 2016, 02:06:40 am »

Unfortunately I am unable to see the contents of that article right now because brilliant website design means the "this site uses cookies" sign takes up my entire mobile screen and is not possible to scroll away from. I'll check it out later.

Until I'm just going to have to assume a Nigerian Prince has been imprisoned for fraud and needs my help to pay bail. Now, where did you want me to send my money?
Love, scriver~

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: October 13, 2016, 03:03:38 am »

Okay, we're in a post-Trump world now,

I keep waiting for something to happen to show that no, it doesn't work that way.  Trump will never win a majority of a state in the primaries because he is just be a fluke of a divided primary.  Kasich will win another damn state besides Ohio and show that the republicans just were too slow to organize behind a credible candidate.  Cruz will run on a stop Trump ticket and peel off states like Utah and Alaska to show that the party doesn't like Trump.  Trump will lose in the biggest landslide ever because people understand he isn't a plausible candidate.  If one of these things could happen then we could accept that this all was just a horrible one off event and not the way the world really works.  These would be signs that the sane world was just covered up by some stupid short term decisions but sanity will reassert itself the next time around.

But Trump started winning majorities, Kasich never got a second state, Cruz phonebanked for the man who slandered his family and Trump is still appealing to a very broad swathe of the electorate.  It looks like the people are going to stop Trump at the ballot box which is a relief but it's way too close.  Election day is the final line of defense and the biggest gun in the arsenal the democracy uses to protect itself from would be usurpers.  Why the hell is it taking the biggest gun we have to stop a bogeyman who should have been knocked on his ass by five minutes of laughter?

How is Trump would be usurper?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: October 13, 2016, 03:20:31 am »

There is a nice e-mail in the leak stuff about Hillary's position and opinion on Syria, although from August 2014. Seems well-thought enough. Interestingly, it talks of the Saudi Arabia and Quatar governments (and not private citizen/network operation from those countries)  as funding ISIL covertly.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: October 13, 2016, 05:07:23 am »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: October 13, 2016, 05:54:36 am »

"Make sure you get out and get registered and vote, November 28th."

I can't even, is the term I believe?

Actually someone decoded how the mistake was made...

You see November 28th is another important date for Trump :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: October 13, 2016, 05:59:27 am »

From reddit: "Make America Late Again"

You might balk at Trump setting his own person election date, but this is just Trump's way of showing how he scoffs at convention, and does things his own way. All Trump voters should go and vote on the date Trump tells you to. Trump Did Nothing Wrong.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:04:53 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1249