Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297144 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #6855 on: October 13, 2016, 05:23:58 pm »

Too lazy to link it, but it should be easy to find. Apparently trump's campaign has driven clinton to cute cat videos.

.gifs, even.

But not in particular, bork. Certainly less than republicans, at the absolute least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: October 13, 2016, 05:28:53 pm »

Dear god, 17 percent republican party primary turnout?? That is fake democracy.

11 percent democrat turnout ^
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:30:41 pm by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: October 13, 2016, 05:33:38 pm »

How about instead of bitching ever four years and acting like that makes you special you put in a fraction of the work that the people you bitch about put in?  The last time we had a new political party succeed it was because people who spent decades of work advocating and sometimes even dying for a cause eventually convinced a majority of their countrymen that it was right.

You want electoral reform?  That's nice.  So do I.  Who gives a shit?  Seriously.  Name a single goddamn person in the world who thinks "Well this person cares about something but wont do anything to make it happen so I'll put in all the effort for them".  It doesn't make you special.  It doesn't make you better.  It just makes you whiny to bitch about this and put in zero effort to improve anything whatsoever.

I don't mind arguments that cynicism towards the D party is ill-conceived, or that excusing inaction by calling both parties the same is intellectually lazy.  But this is a bit of a pet peeve.

• Complaining and being productive are not mutually exclusive.  That someone complains on the internet isn't a strong indication that they don't also put in work.
  • Complaining about complaining doesn't help to address the obstacles to being productive:  Knowing how to go about it, and having time/resources to do so.  This is no better than assuming that because somebody complains about being poor means that they're lazy, and thus can't be taught or helped out of their situation.
  • Informal sharing of political sentiments in general is part of the process of cultural evolution that enables more concrete actions and changes to eventually formulate, and to shame people for casually expressing dissatisfaction is to be an obstruction to that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: October 13, 2016, 05:34:52 pm »

The primaries don't really have much to do with the democracy, bork. It's an internal party thing. People are indeed fairly lackadaisical about it, though.

You'd do better noting the general turnout. It's usually mildly depressing. Still, not a fake democracy. "I don't care" is a legitimate choice to make.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: October 13, 2016, 05:36:32 pm »

The primaries don't really have much to do with the democracy, bork. It's an internal party thing. People are indeed fairly lackadaisical about it, though.

You'd do better noting the general turnout. It's usually mildly depressing. Still, not a fake democracy. "I don't care" is a legitimate choice to make.
Any process that chooses who CAN be elected is a part of democracy, and an indicator of the health of democracy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: October 13, 2016, 05:45:24 pm »

Truth is, most people are either already decided for Red Team or Blue Team regardless of which member wins the primary. For the more discerning, nothing stops them from becoming involved.

The conventions have a tendency to be dirty politics because the winner is almost always clear by then and they seek to sterilize the other condensers of influence by the time that's officially proclaimed, but aside from that there's nothing particularly undemocratic about the primary system.

It probably could use a government watchdog since there's no laws about it, but fat chance of getting any true neutrals together for that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: October 13, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »

Complaining and being productive are not mutually exclusive.  That someone complains on the internet isn't a strong indication that they don't also put in work.

Someone who says "lets burn down the DNC" is indicating a deeply juvenile and unserious manner.  It wasn't a sophisticated critique of the shortcomings of elected democracy.

I mean how would you feel if I said "hey, let's just tell anyone who isn't in a political party that they can STFU and wont be a part of future elections.  They're all morons anyway and that should fix our problems."  Would you carefully pick through the words looking for an argument to respect?  I doubt it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: October 13, 2016, 06:07:38 pm »

maniac confirmed for DNC chairman replacement upon Hillary's Ascendancy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: October 13, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »

I know that it is petty to bring up...

But Bernie's biggest weakness as a candidate IMO...

Is that he looks stereotypically evil... Like he is a villain or something up to no good.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: October 13, 2016, 06:22:08 pm »

You want electoral reform?  That's nice.  So do I.  Who gives a shit?  Seriously.  Name a single goddamn person in the world who thinks "Well this person cares about something but wont do anything to make it happen so I'll put in all the effort for them".  It doesn't make you special.  It doesn't make you better.  It just makes you whiny to bitch about this and put in zero effort to improve anything whatsoever.
list

I think the argument is moreso that complaining for a political reform feels stale. Don't take that as me saying that we have a flawless system, but when everyone and their dead uncle talks about corruption and the establishment it sounds more like noise than anything else.

Is that he looks stereotypically evil... Like he is a villain or something up to no good.

could someone please explain to me in simple english how any part of bernie's plan was going to go through the legislative body
i didn't really follow him until after he lost the primary, so i have only heard the more radical end

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: October 13, 2016, 06:23:41 pm »

Yeah, I read it as juvenile and unserious.  A hyperbolic expression not meant to be taken literally.

I read your response as not being directed at the lack of substance in his post, but as being generally tired of people complaining and being cynical about politics.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: October 13, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »

I read your response as

Sounds like your problem, not mine.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: October 13, 2016, 06:27:51 pm »

Haha, really?
I always got the exact opposite impression, really, especially once he started talking.
He looks friendly, though passionate about things.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: October 13, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »

Maybe it is just this picture of him that gives me the "EVIL! he is the villain! Don't need to read anymore of the investigation he did it!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: October 13, 2016, 06:35:07 pm »

I'm not seeing it.  He looks like you overlayed the faces of a grandfather and a toddler whose teeth just came in.  Nobody thinks toddlers are evil.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1249