Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297599 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #7890 on: October 20, 2016, 08:21:25 am »

The fact that corruption in the US is institutionalised doesn't make it less harmful.

The fact that you are ignorant doesn't make it corruption.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: October 20, 2016, 08:23:15 am »

The fact that corruption in the US is institutionalised doesn't make it less harmful.

The fact that you are ignorant doesn't make it corruption.

The fact that you are indoctrinated doesn't make me ignorant.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:53 am »

So you wrote the wrong thing and you are being belligerent towards me for reading your words?

You keep saying "corruption" but it's without proof.  This is what in intellectually honest circles is called a "lie".

It's not a lie unless he promotes the falsehood with knowledge and the belief that the statement is false.

Otherwise, he's just incorrect

There is also a big difference between a famous private citizen receiving large speaking fees and a governmental official colluding with a businessman to receive a huge personal loan from said businessman while in office, then lie repeatedly to both the media and the German parliament about the nature of the lian and the loaner while president.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: October 20, 2016, 08:35:04 am »

It's not a lie unless he promotes the falsehood with knowledge and the belief that the statement is false.

I dont know for sure if he is the zodiac killer or not.  But it would be a lie to confidently assert that he is the zodiac killer.  I am aware I have no proof that he is the zodiac killer but I am giving the opposite impression.

Likewise he is grossly ignorant about what constitutes corruption and is aware of the limitations of his knowledge but insists with confidence he knows something he doesn't know.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: October 20, 2016, 08:44:44 am »

I wish I could be so grossly incandescent
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: October 20, 2016, 08:49:53 am »

Expecting someone to make sure random numbers they're quoting are correct is nitpicking, having people throw money at you for being a famous public figure known for making speeches is corruption, having an urge to correct misinformation is indoctrination, and being unaware or uninformed about something does not make one ignorant.

Hey Phmcw, you ever considered running for public office?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: October 20, 2016, 08:51:54 am »

I dont know for sure if he is the zodiac killer or not.  But it would be a lie to confidently assert that he is the zodiac killer.  I am aware I have no proof that he is the zodiac killer but I am giving the opposite impression.

Likewise he is grossly ignorant about what constitutes corruption and is aware of the limitations of his knowledge but insists with confidence he knows something he doesn't know.

You're arguing for a system that legalised corruption. Worst, a system that made NOT taking money from big businesses an untenable position.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: October 20, 2016, 08:57:42 am »

When the ISDS is instated via trade treaties, institutionalizing corruption on a global scale will have reached near perfection, with big business being granted a tool to sue nations for democratic processes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: October 20, 2016, 09:02:36 am »

You're arguing for a system that legalised corruption. Worst, a system that made NOT taking money from big businesses an untenable position.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_corruption

Political corruption is the use of powers by government officials for illegitimate private gain. An illegal act by an officeholder constitutes political corruption only if the act is directly related to their official duties, is done under color of law or involves trading in influence.

Forms of corruption vary, but include bribery, extortion, cronyism, nepotism, gombeenism, parochialism, patronage, influence peddling, graft, and embezzlement. Corruption may facilitate criminal enterprise such as drug trafficking, money laundering, and human trafficking, though is not restricted to these activities. Misuse of government power for other purposes, such as repression of political opponents and general police brutality, is also considered political corruption.

Ctrl+f public speaking
No matches found

Hmmm.

Ctrl+f outside employment
No matches found

Hmmm.

Are you perhaps privy to something like Hillary selling favors to people, particularly cases where said favors involve bribery and other illegal activities?

I mean, besides watchdog groups that specifically watch for that sort of thing: http://www.business-anti-corruption.com/country-profiles/usa I imagine there are any number of agencies that would appreciate a tip that might help them uncover this corruption you've so astutely identified.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: October 20, 2016, 09:06:20 am »

any number of agencies that would appreciate a tip that might help them uncover this corruption you've so astutely identified.

Not to mention all the book deals he could get afterwards!

Oh wait...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: October 20, 2016, 09:10:29 am »

It fall under "influence peddling". Or patronage.

And it won't impress anyone because you guys have been somehow convinced that this is normal. Well that IS the new normal, and it's being exported all  over the world now.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: October 20, 2016, 09:20:54 am »

It fall under "influence peddling". Or patronage.

And it won't impress anyone because you guys have been somehow convinced that this is normal. Well that IS the new normal, and it's being exported all  over the world now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_for_Economic_Co-operation_and_Development
Sub-organization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OECD_Anti-Bribery_Convention

http://www.oecd.org/corruption/
http://www.oecd.org/corruption/ethics/oecdprinciplesfortransparencyandintegrityinlobbying.htm

That's a group which specifically works to make sure that lobbying does not result in undue benefit being given to said lobbyists. It's been around since the 60's, Europe has been a part of it longer than the US actually. The current state of affairs came as much from your side of the pond as ours.

Expecting people to run a government without making any sorts of deal and arrangements and transactions is a noble cause, but as we saw from the republican congress refusing to make any compromises or anything with Obama, it doesn't work.

You can also do things like make a report to, say, the https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/public-corruption hotlines or your local analogue thereof.

any number of agencies that would appreciate a tip that might help them uncover this corruption you've so astutely identified.

Not to mention all the book deals he could get afterwards!

Oh wait...
Hoisted by his own petard!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:33 am »

... "the system currently in place institutionalised corruption". "Don't worry, report it to the very same system".

As for whistle blowing, I don't want to spend the rest of my life holed up in an embassy because of very obviously false accusations, thank you very much. 

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: October 20, 2016, 09:36:37 am »

... "the system currently in place institutionalised corruption". "Don't worry, report it to the very same system".

As for whistle blowing, I don't want to spend the rest of my life holed up in an embassy because of very obviously false accusations, thank you very much. 
Well look, I don't know what you're trying to get at here, if the words you're using have the same meanings as I think they do, and your understanding of government agencies includes concepts like separation of powers which implies the same thing I understand it to mean then this corruption must be so amazingly complex that I can't understand it.

So, since I'm too fucking stupid to see it, can you dumb it down in some way which doesn't involve simply stating tautologies about "it's corrupt because it's corrupt" so the rest of us can get it?

Our school systems aren't so good, and we clearly didn't get anything like the sort of education on the US civic system as you did over there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:38:18 am by Max™ »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: October 20, 2016, 09:37:28 am »

This is someone who thinks all of Europe is squeaky-clean should really know about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio
Basically, after WWII, NATO set up secret armies in every part of Western Europe - outside proper democratic controls. Police and the military and some right-wing politicians coordinated these groups to take out leftists - which sometimes included political rivals. This escalated all the way to full-on army staged terrorist attacks in Italy, which were pinned on the Communist Party, because they were winning too many elections. People who knew were still denying the existence of these secret armies at least 50 years after the war. And you had the French government directly ordering terrorist attacks up until at least the 1980s (the Greenpeace ship bombing). Yeah, I'm not buying the squeaky-clean French who aren't corrupt, but carry out clandestine terrorist attacks against uppity NGO's.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:42:21 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1249