Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297488 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American
« Reply #8010 on: October 20, 2016, 11:02:35 pm »

People like eating. And if you don't, ya die. Simple as that. Everyone supports the pro-eating agenda.

Meh... I don't get much pleasure out of eating.  I only eat because of survival requirement.  Or frustration.

Basically, if I could plug myself into the wall at night instead of eating, I probably would, and would be in favor of any initiative to make this possible.  Does that make me anti-eating?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:22 pm »

Kind of, yes. I think you're wrong about eating, though. Probably the greatest feeling in my life came from eating under the right circumstances. Being food drunk is a real thing, and it's great.

Good food, truly good food combined with decent exhaustion and hunger is practically narcotic. Most people are just very accustomed to both terrible food and never being very hungry.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: October 20, 2016, 11:27:25 pm »

Man, getting baked and making a couple of diagonally cut pb&j sammiches then eating them corner by corner and finishing with a big cold glass of milk was damn near orgasmic at times.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: October 20, 2016, 11:37:02 pm »

Credit to reddit for making a gif of this poor fellow in the memorial dinner, as he realizes Trump isn't joking.
Meh... I don't get much pleasure out of eating.  I only eat because of survival requirement.  Or frustration.

Basically, if I could plug myself into the wall at night instead of eating, I probably would, and would be in favor of any initiative to make this possible.  Does that make me anti-eating?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:48:24 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: October 20, 2016, 11:39:05 pm »

I was a wrestler in high school.  I did the whole thing with the starvation, while working my body to exhaustion.  Except instead of heightening my value of food, I just learned to ignore hunger really well and operate at a consistent level regardless of how I'm feeling.

Could be that truly good food is the part I'm lacking.  But the one time I ate a $100 meal (at this place), I actually didn't like it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:39 pm »

Have you stolen any pieces of eight that were paid in ransom for an aztec emperor who was then betrayed?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: October 20, 2016, 11:46:50 pm »

Expense is not necessarily an indicator of quality. My candidate for Best Meal Ever was a bison burger w/ goat cheese at the DMK Burger Bar in Chicago, eaten after a mentally but not physically rigorous day of debating. It cost like $20. Expensive? Yes. But not that expensive.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: October 20, 2016, 11:46:51 pm »

Eehh... lot of the really expensive stuff you kinda' have to have exposure to to enjoy, from what I understand. If you've been eating discount steaks all your life a $100 one may taste rather off, ferex.

Though yeah, good food makes a helluva' difference. It doesn't necessarily have to be fancy or expensive or whathaveyou, just tailored to what you enjoy. Lotta' the stuff I personally cook regularly is objectively bad cooking but they just happen to be pretty much exactly what my tastebuds love. Which makes it nice. Only occasionally nice enough I'd consider maiming someone over it, but still generally an improvement to my day.

And yeah, I used to do more or less the same just eat live thing, to a degree (though only a degree; chunks of my family have always been pretty damn good cooks, so...). My reaction was to eventually start learning to cook (or at least prepare my meals so I liked them instead of just ate them, anyway), heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:37 pm »

But the one time I ate a $100 meal (at this place), I actually didn't like it.

Here is kind of the thing... The 100 isn't for the chef, it isn't for the food... it is for everything else.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: October 21, 2016, 12:04:55 am »

Have you stolen any pieces of eight that were paid in ransom for an aztec emperor who was then betrayed?

I  have to admit I'm lost on this one.  Best I can tell is something to do with Hernán Cortés and Moctezuma?  Unless that was directed at something else further up.

Regarding the $100 meal... yeah, I get it.  Point is, I've just never found a food that gave me that level of pleasure, and my experience is... probably more limited than your average foodie... but not like I've only ever eaten junk.  Satisfaction from alleviation of need, yes, and my food preferences mainly gravitate towards foods that do this.  But I don't think that's the same as the recreational experience people describe.

Anyway, I've repeated this enough times around here.  I just had to ruin misko's statement :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: October 21, 2016, 12:20:13 am »

A bit behind the thread on this, but regarding primaries:

One (relatively minor, but still real) reason for the low primary voting rates is that some states limit how much one can participate depending on party registration. For example, I'm a registered Independent in Maryland, which means I get to vote for pretty much nothing in the primary. Only the Ds get to vote for Democratic candidates, Rs for Republican candidates, and I don't get to cast a primary vote for any Presidential, House, or Senate primary candidates.

(No such restrictions in the general election, of course.)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: October 21, 2016, 12:27:29 am »

Point is, I've just never found a food that gave me that level of pleasure, and my experience is... probably more limited than your average foodie... but not like I've only ever eaten junk.  Satisfaction from alleviation of need, yes, and my food preferences mainly gravitate towards foods that do this.  But I don't think that's the same as the recreational experience people describe.

For the last 4-5 years I've been living off a bulk of little else besides vegetables, tomatoes, beans, rice, and the odd egg, and I've loved every moment of it. Though that may have something to do with my childhood experiences with chronic poverty and hunger.

Some things to consider if you don't enjoy food are taking a serious look at your colon and intestinal health, and short of making a permanent commitment to home cooking, I'd recommend giving up refined sugar and fruit as completely as possible. Personally I don't even really care about the (not insignificant) health benefits, it just makes everything else taste much, much better. The trouble is that sugar is added to almost everything processed or pre-prepared in america, in really disgusting amounts, so you essentially need to either learn to cook or adapt yourself to eating dirt. There's the added bonus that it makes rare moments of eating sweets a far more powerful experience. I ate half a raisin cookie a week ago, and I remember it feeling like my tongue was going to dissolve into a puddle.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: October 21, 2016, 12:31:34 am »

I  have to admit I'm lost on this one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORnJFIxEeHQ]Maybe it's a curse, mate?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: October 21, 2016, 12:34:45 am »

I  have to admit I'm lost on this one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORnJFIxEeHQ]Maybe it's a curse, mate?

Ah, ok... Pirates was my first thought when I saw pieces of eight, but I didn't recall an aztec emporer having anything to do with it.

Undead is appropriate, though.  Just about anyone who knows me calls me a vampire at some point.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: October 21, 2016, 12:45:41 am »

Well, I mean. There are recipes that involve blood. Might be worth a shot :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1249