Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1320201 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18360 on: January 26, 2017, 05:41:41 am »

Hype train has no brakes
It's not the speed that kills you, but the sudden stop.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18361 on: January 26, 2017, 05:45:09 am »

MSH: He can do a lot of damage by himself. Take tariffs for exemple: the 1974 Trade Act let him impose tariffs of up to 15% for up to 150 days by himself. He can also pull out of stuff like NAFTA without Congress.

that's a presidential republic to ya. we just dodged a big bullet back here with our last referendum

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18362 on: January 26, 2017, 06:22:36 am »

Hype train has no brakes
Trains don't kill people, sudden stops do

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18363 on: January 26, 2017, 06:26:18 am »

The problem is Congress's job is precisely to intervene in situations like this, but it's been so thoroughly dysfunctional that, while stepping on any President's ability to make and direct law, gives them far more latitude in things like military interventions and policy (as opposed to law).

That's why you have this paradox where the President has amazing latitude in some areas and no latitude in others: the areas where he has too much is where he can simply bypass Congress, and areas where the President is too weak to implement their program, are the ones where Congress is a mandatory step. Of course, Congress can and should regulate what the President does, but they need to actually pass laws to that effect when they want something changed instead of just throwing "no" at any piece of paper he throws at them and calling that "checks and balances".
Hype train has no brakes
Trains don't kill people, sudden stops do
I want to say that this is not true. In fact, it's the sudden acceleration that does ya in, but it's acceleration from a standing position to a "help I've been run over by a train" position.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18364 on: January 26, 2017, 06:35:51 am »

Well, Trump DID say something about energizing the economy right?  He just did not specify what kind of energy, or how much, how quickly.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18365 on: January 26, 2017, 06:44:59 am »

Also, what the fuck is this shit? Trump administration: EPA studies, data must undergo political review before release. "Political review"? Of scientific studies?

It's hard to believe that Trump administration is only on it's third full working day, because they're fucking shit up at an unprecedented pace.

It just hits me, but the Lysenkoism isn't even the most scary part of this. Think of the precedent: how long until labor statistics from the BLS and FBI crime report are "reviewed" by political appointees. Do you think that those that shows TRumpism not fixing everything will be made public?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18366 on: January 26, 2017, 07:03:05 am »

inb4 government approved studies show that 100% of crimes are commited by black people (after all Mexicans have been deported)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18367 on: January 26, 2017, 07:04:04 am »

It just hits me, but the Lysenkoism isn't even the most scary part of this. Think of the precedent: how long until labor statistics from the BLS and FBI crime report are "reviewed" by political appointees. Do you think that those that shows TRumpism not fixing everything will be made public?

the Ministry of Plenty's forecast had estimated the output of boots for the quarter at one-hundred-and-forty-five million pairs. The actual output was given as sixty-two millions. Winston, however, in rewriting the forecast, marked the figure down to fifty-seven millions, so as to allow for the usual claim that the quota had been overfulfilled. In any case, sixty-two millions was no nearer the truth than fifty-seven millions, or than one-hundred-and-forty-five millions. Very likely no boots had been produced at all. Likelier still, nobody knew how many had been produced, much less cared. All one knew was that every quarter astronomical numbers of boots were produced on paper, while perhaps half the population of Oceania went barefoot. And so it was with every class of recorded fact, great or small. Everything faded away into a shadow-world in which, finally, even the date of the year had become uncertain.

Orwell predicted both fake news and shitposting.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18368 on: January 26, 2017, 07:12:25 am »

Also, what the fuck is this shit? Trump administration: EPA studies, data must undergo political review before release. "Political review"? Of scientific studies?

It's hard to believe that Trump administration is only on it's third full working day, because they're fucking shit up at an unprecedented pace.

Better yet: political review of "voter fraud", i.e. mass removal of voting rights from people based on "alternative facts" provided by Trump administration. Remember, he's still claiming that 5 million people illegally voter for Hillary. And he's promising that he'll start an investigation into this issue by tomorrow.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18369 on: January 26, 2017, 07:14:52 am »

So Trump says he is convinced that torturing terrorists really works and is effective at getting intel.

Hmm I wonder if he would still feel the same if he was tortured long enough to confess killing and eating 666 babies.

Let's just say science disagrees with him.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18370 on: January 26, 2017, 07:33:12 am »

There are 4 babies.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18371 on: January 26, 2017, 07:54:19 am »

Better yet: political review of "voter fraud", i.e. mass removal of voting rights from people based on "alternative facts" provided by Trump administration. Remember, he's still claiming that 5 million people illegally voter for Hillary. And he's promising that he'll start an investigation into this issue by tomorrow.

alternative facts like detroit ballot stuffing? also, the requiring voting id is not voting right removal, not until the law it's out. this'd be a good moment for promoting free easy to obtain federal ids, if that's the underlying problem. or is it something else?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18372 on: January 26, 2017, 08:11:20 am »

Detroit ballot stuffing?

And yeah, if they provide mandatory federal ID crd, I don't really see the issue in asking for an idea. Non of the state that started voter ID card did it though, and they often targeted the kind of ID accepted to the kind of voters they wanted.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18373 on: January 26, 2017, 08:30:01 am »

President Donald Trump to publish weekly list of crimes committed by immigrants

Note: "immigrants". Not "illegal immigrants", just "immigrants".
._.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18374 on: January 26, 2017, 08:32:37 am »

Oh god.

PTTG has doomed us all.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1223 1224 [1225] 1226 1227 ... 1249