Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297483 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18675 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:13 am »

Yeah Google is already recalling staff as fast as they can back into USA. But it may be already too late for these, no doubt, highly educated and skilled people, who had the big unfortune to be born in a country marked as evil by Trump regime. Hopefully some tech companies in EU will scoop them.
._.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18676 on: January 28, 2017, 10:56:14 am »

That idiot... he'll be the end of us.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18677 on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:13 am »

Yeah Google is already recalling staff as fast as they can back into USA. But it may be already too late for these, no doubt, highly educated and skilled people, who had the big unfortune to be born in a country marked as evil by Trump regime. Hopefully some tech companies in EU will scoop them.
from that article
The technology sector relies heavily on highly skilled and well-paid workers from overseas on H1-B visas. If there's a risk, however small, that that brainpower could be restricted in some way or scare off others who may feel unwelcome, the big tech companies may have to rethink where they place their key staff in future.
* martinuzz waves at Intel and Apple in a friendly way
You know, you could settle in Eindhoven, you'd be right nextdoor to ASML, which designs and makes the machines that you use to design chip architecture
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:02:39 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #18678 on: January 28, 2017, 11:02:30 am »

It's a simple truth that politicians that want to shut down the borders and deny refugees are ISIS's greatest allies, the greatest allies of all terrorist groups. Even aside from the piss-poor ethics or sense of international duty to fellow humans, the 'enemies of the US' want refugees to be trapped in their reach. They want to be able to press-gang people into their troops. They want to be able to push their narrative of them against the evil west. Closing the borders only serves that narrative.

A patriot seeks to improve their country to enrich the world, a nationalist wants to fuck the world.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:05:19 am by MorleyDev »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18679 on: January 28, 2017, 11:11:57 am »

...The flying skeletal carp?!

The man is insane!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18680 on: January 28, 2017, 11:18:28 am »

Holy shit Trump's ban on people from certain nationalities (Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Jemen, Somalia) from entering the US is not just some paper and signature. The minute it was signed, action has been taken.
People who were already on inbound flights to the US from those nationalities have been arrested and detained on arrival, much to the surprise and shock of family and friends coming to pick them up at the airport.
Many others are stranded at various international airports outside the US, with flight companies refusing to let them board. Among them are not just refugees, but also many people who have a work permit in the US, but can no longer get in. The new law does not exempt green card holders. If you went outside of the US for holidays, tough luck, you won't get back in.
Technology companies like Facebook and Google have expressed concern. The Council for American Islamic Relations (CAIR) is sueing the US government. Many refugee organistations are considering lawsuit as well.

EDIT: not sure if the work permit holders can't enter the US because flight companies refuse them to board, or if they're really included in Trump's decree.
good lord. *sounds Ruth Bader Ginsburg alarm

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18681 on: January 28, 2017, 11:38:22 am »

Human Rights organisations should make haste with implanting all Mexicans with GPS tracking chips, to prevent them from disappearing to CIA blacksite gaschambers. /s

EDIT: although I'm obviously revelling in absurdism again, there's some genuine concern involved. WHen you have a government that speaks 'deportation' and 'torture is ok', and 'reinstate CIA foreign black sites' within a few days of coming into power, you have an obligation as human beings to watch them very very closely.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:42:19 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18682 on: January 28, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »

At this point, I'm hoping for a coup.

On the other hand, since the corporate democrats can't even muster the willingness to resist, we might be in trouble.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:02:33 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18683 on: January 28, 2017, 12:00:37 pm »

Holy shit man.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18684 on: January 28, 2017, 12:11:14 pm »

While it sucks that it was just sort of sprung on them like that and they had no warning. (Other than the fact that Trump said he'd do it at some point.) Maybe all these  people in so much demand that it's worth it for companies to ship them in from overseas will be able to stay in their own countries, work there, and improve their own economies. Improving life for those around them and limiting the brain drain from there.

There's a potential silver lining in anything. I don't agree with this particular method, but once again, it might actually help in the long run. Sometimes the cure for a disease hurts more in the short term than the disease itself.

Besides, if they wanted these employees bad enough, it's not as if the big companies like Google, Facebook or Apple couldn't open up offices overseas for them to work at. Given the potential repeal of the EU data privacy law, they may be looking at opening up significant infrastructure in the EU anyway just to keep EU data in EU borders.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18685 on: January 28, 2017, 12:15:39 pm »

... you seriously think that THIS is the solution?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18686 on: January 28, 2017, 12:24:33 pm »

the irony of this whole thing is their haven't been any terrorists that have come from any of these countries to attack the us sense 9/11. then the drooling idiots say that we have no vetting process and terrorists and dangerous criminals are streaming in despite the FACT that we have a massively extensive process with years of waiting and vetting. god! i hate that these people are my countrymen, go to hell.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18687 on: January 28, 2017, 12:35:27 pm »

The business titan Trump has come!
A great orange humanoid. It has small hands and it squirms and fidgets. Its blond toupee is unkempt.
Beware its executive orders!

I couldn't help it, hehe

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18688 on: January 28, 2017, 12:41:03 pm »

A solution that hurts us all, to a problem that doesn't exist. How wonderful.
Sigtext!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #18689 on: January 28, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »

Iran to ban US citizens in response to Trump

Come on Iran, be cool. Russia let our people stay after we kicked theirs out.