Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1297078 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18690 on: January 28, 2017, 12:52:23 pm »

Iran to ban US citizens in response to Trump

Come on Iran, be cool. Russia let our people stay after we kicked theirs out.

Of course he did
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18691 on: January 28, 2017, 01:04:04 pm »

... explain your reasoning.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18692 on: January 28, 2017, 01:09:37 pm »

Iran is a theocracy that regularly uses the phrase "Great Satan" to describe USA in its internal propaganda, what else can you expect?
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18693 on: January 28, 2017, 01:19:22 pm »

Iran is a theocracy that regularly uses the phrase "Great Satan" to describe USA in its internal propaganda, what else can you expect?

That they're an essentially rational actor with a very good demo on why assuming American intentions is right next door.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:17:14 pm by MorleyDev »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18695 on: January 28, 2017, 02:27:24 pm »

The ban is now blocking green card holders and over a 130 million people have been blocked. Talk about a wide brush.....

I guess he never thought to exempt green card holders for this and did a blanket sledgehammer ban.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:29:16 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18696 on: January 28, 2017, 02:32:14 pm »

Several of the students in my current university are foreign students from Syria, Jordan, etc. Wonder how they feel right about now, knowing that the moment they leave, they cannot come back.

^THIS, this is why the blanket ban is so stupid.

He's already facing lawsuits from people.

Blocking 130 million people to block maybe a handfull is beyond nuts.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18697 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:19 pm »

Better this way than a more finely targeted one. Crude hack and slash methods of this sort are much more likely to end up in open court, and the administration is much less likely to be able to convince a judge of the necessity for the action. Of course, it would be better not to have the problem at all, but at least this way it might be easier to take the beast down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18698 on: January 28, 2017, 02:35:27 pm »

Several of the students in my current university are foreign students from Syria, Jordan, etc. Wonder how they feel right about now, knowing that the moment they leave, they cannot come back.

My university just sent out a blanket email telling people from the affected countries not to leave the States.

Fun times ahead, everyone.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18699 on: January 28, 2017, 02:39:49 pm »

I wonder if this is going to be a record for running into scandal or perhaps major controversey in the shortest amount of time since taking office.

There were some Presidents who took office amid an ongoing scandal (whether related to them or not) or some controversey or crisis, but I mean going straight from not having or being in the middle of a scandal or controversey to running smack into one. Although Trump is a constant low level controversey.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18700 on: January 28, 2017, 02:44:59 pm »

The phone conversation between Putin and Trump has been conducted about 120 minutes ago. I expect the USA part of the sanctions to be lifted within the next few hours... also, Trump apparently called Merkel first.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18701 on: January 28, 2017, 02:54:26 pm »

Better this way than a more finely targeted one. Crude hack and slash methods of this sort are much more likely to end up in open court, and the administration is much less likely to be able to convince a judge of the necessity for the action. Of course, it would be better not to have the problem at all, but at least this way it might be easier to take the beast down.
... on the other hand, at least part of the legal fees involved with that are going to come out of taxpayer pockets. It might not be enough on the net to really effect much, but considering substantial tax cuts and budget deficits are being pushed for at the moment... well. I guess better still doesn't necessarily equate to good. Or neutral. Or anything not bad. Just less bad. Somewhat.
I'unno, I can be annoyed by that, right? That some degree of what taxes come out of my pocket are going to be spent on this unnecessary shit because our president/a chunk of our government doesn't have the sense of a herpes riddled toucan. Certainly seems to be okay with all the other ways politician dickery ends up burning dosh that could be fixing roads or somethin'. Funding military, even. I think I'd surprised if a few million spent directly going after terrorists instead of their victims wouldn't have greater degree of efficacy, here.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18702 on: January 28, 2017, 03:05:19 pm »

More worried about the possibility of war with China right now. Go figure that when you get a guy who blunders through foreign policy, that he blunders into wrecking foreign relations.

They may just be sabre rattling atm, but yeah, no surprise when you get someone like that. His Secretary of State hasn't even been confirmed yet! He's supposedly going to be confirmed on Monday, and he's going to have his hands FULL.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18703 on: January 28, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

... on the other hand, at least part of the legal fees involved with that are going to come out of taxpayer pockets. It might not be enough on the net to really effect much, but considering substantial tax cuts and budget deficits are being pushed for at the moment... well. I guess better still doesn't necessarily equate to good. Or neutral. Or anything not bad. Just less bad. Somewhat.
I'unno, I can be annoyed by that, right? That some degree of what taxes come out of my pocket are going to be spent on this unnecessary shit because our president/a chunk of our government doesn't have the sense of a herpes riddled toucan. Certainly seems to be okay with all the other ways politician dickery ends up burning dosh that could be fixing roads or somethin'. Funding military, even. I think I'd surprised if a few million spent directly going after terrorists instead of their victims wouldn't have greater degree of efficacy, here.
Certainly. It is better not to be attacked by a dragon to begin with. But if you do have to fight one, better that it be arthritic and half-senile than fresh and healthy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18704 on: January 28, 2017, 03:24:43 pm »

More worried about the possibility of war with China right now. Go figure that when you get a guy who blunders through foreign policy, that he blunders into wrecking foreign relations.

They may just be sabre rattling atm, but yeah, no surprise when you get someone like that. His Secretary of State hasn't even been confirmed yet! He's supposedly going to be confirmed on Monday, and he's going to have his hands FULL.

That would suck so much. Especially for Californians being invaded for Trump's actions.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249