Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249

Author Topic: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0  (Read 1311015 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Doc Helgoland's Asylum for the Politically American: T+0
« Reply #18705 on: January 28, 2017, 03:32:40 pm »

More worried about the possibility of war with China right now. Go figure that when you get a guy who blunders through foreign policy, that he blunders into wrecking foreign relations.

They may just be sabre rattling atm, but yeah, no surprise when you get someone like that. His Secretary of State hasn't even been confirmed yet! He's supposedly going to be confirmed on Monday, and he's going to have his hands FULL.

That would suck so much. Especially for Californians being invaded for Trump's actions.

They'd have to get past our navy first....

In the spirit of unintended consequences, even legal non-citizen permanent residents are being affected.

edit: And dual-citizens.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #18706 on: January 28, 2017, 03:33:24 pm »

Several of the students in my current university are foreign students from Syria, Jordan, etc. Wonder how they feel right about now, knowing that the moment they leave, they cannot come back.

^THIS, this is why the blanket ban is so stupid.

He's already facing lawsuits from people.

Blocking 130 million people to block maybe a handfull is beyond nuts.

well the blanket is temporary while the vetting rules are finalized (except for Syria)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18707 on: January 28, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »

Several of the students in my current university are foreign students from Syria, Jordan, etc. Wonder how they feel right about now, knowing that the moment they leave, they cannot come back.

^THIS, this is why the blanket ban is so stupid.

He's already facing lawsuits from people.

Blocking 130 million people to block maybe a handfull is beyond nuts.

well the blanket is temporary while the vetting rules are finalized (except for Syria)

I suspect that 'temporary' is going to be a whole lot less than the 120 days or something. Normally this kind of thing is carefully thought out and crafted, this is the equivalent of using Thors Hammer.

edit: I wonder how this affects the King of Jordan's visit on Monday?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18708 on: January 28, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »

well the 7 countries are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, so it shouldn't apply, right? this is not a muslim ban, no matter how much the press tries to spin it as a religion fueled ban.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18709 on: January 28, 2017, 03:49:43 pm »

well the 7 countries are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, so it shouldn't apply, right? this is not a muslim ban, no matter how much the press tries to spin it as a religion fueled ban.
i wonder why he didn't ban the other countries as well. seems kind of random.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18710 on: January 28, 2017, 03:51:39 pm »

That's a lie. This is clearly targeted at muslim-majority countries because they are muslim-majority, and it does not target states that funded or housed terrorists that directly attacked the united states, such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18711 on: January 28, 2017, 03:55:14 pm »

That's a lie. This is clearly targeted at muslim-majority countries because they are muslim-majority, and it does not target states that funded or housed terrorists that directly attacked the united states, such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

this report seems those countries keep to be on the watch list thorough the years, so there's that as well:
https://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/2015/257520.htm
https://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/crt/index.htm

that's the most official link I could find and goes back to well before Trump election - prompted by redwallzyl I was curious to why those countries were selected, as opposed to, say, Pakistan - maybe because those are mostly aimed at India? no idea sincerely.

but still, there's plenty muslim countries not being targeted. so there's that. you're bending facts to your weird reality where Trump is running a reverse-jihad.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18712 on: January 28, 2017, 03:56:03 pm »

i wonder why he didn't ban the other countries as well. seems kind of random.
You're assuming the folks making the ban, and more importantly their supporters, actually realize there's other ones :V

It makes more sense through the lens of not actually being aware of what countries have substantial muslim population.

... incidentally, I think I've actually asked around a dozen people, most of em conservative, over the last handful of years what the country with the largest muslim population is. Total that got it right: 0.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18713 on: January 28, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »

I'm gonna try a wild guess before googling it: India?

edit - ok googled. won't spoil it for the curious, but I was this >||< close.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18714 on: January 28, 2017, 03:58:20 pm »

Well, you got most of the letters in it.
Ask not!
Ask!

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18715 on: January 28, 2017, 04:00:50 pm »

its Indonesia as i recall.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18716 on: January 28, 2017, 04:21:03 pm »

It doesn't matter which country has the most Muslims. It matters what countries come to mind first when the Trump voter thinks of muslims. They do not think of India or Indonesia, or for that matter Bangladesh or China or the Maldieves. In this way, The alt-right can foment fear and distrust and increase international tensions -- making everyone less safe -- and at the same time projecting the image of strength.

This action makes us less safe and is itself immoral and illegal. There is no justification for it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18717 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:24 pm »

It doesn't matter which country has the most Muslims. It matters what countries come to mind first when the Trump voter thinks of muslims. They do not think of India or Indonesia, or for that matter Bangladesh or China or the Maldieves.
Oh aye. The population thing's just an example of that, basically.
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18718 on: January 28, 2017, 04:27:09 pm »

It's like if there were a similar ban for say, China, Japan, Taiwan, South & North Korea. The exclusion of Vietnam doesn't change that it's specifically targeted towards Asian countries, and I'd wager that most people aren't thinking about Vietnam on a daily basis.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18719 on: January 28, 2017, 04:39:00 pm »

No it's because TERRORISM
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1246 1247 [1248] 1249