Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preparations for human story fort - Opinions on scenario and civ  (Read 1176 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Alright, so two releases ago I said I'd do a human story fort with masterwork, largely because I wanted to but also to give human mode some non-tutorial/succession spotlighting.

First and foremost, I already predict I will not play them correctly. At all. More for roleplay's sake than anything, though.

The world I genned is presently in its second age of legends, at the year 717 in a medium region.

Among the humans, we have two burnt out civs: The Kingdom of Order, and The Learned Realms.

The former got run roughshod by the elves (the offending civ subsequently getting plowed under by orcs, who were themselves destroyed by a different human civ.) As such, we have what we have, and will needlessly end up with a king basically out the gate (as we will with the other.) However, the sheer number of humans in the world (in excess of 50 large,) might mean no shortage of people.

The latter likewise seemed to have a history of fighting with the elves, but got smashed by an orc  civ after centuries of on-off war with The Sunken Ford - the elves in question.

In either case, we have people trying desperately to preserve ancient traditions and such.

However, we also have The Union of Playing, who for the past 400 years have been ruled by necromancers - most of whom died in battle against The Smooth Hate, a naga civ that The Union has fought constantly since 89.

This leads to a somewhat more interesting option: Folk trying to get out from under the jackboot of necromancer oppression while fostering an age-old grudge against the Snakes - As, given the pattern of conflict, war with The Smooth Hate is almost inevitable; roughly every 12-15 years a short war breaks out from anywhere from a single major battle to a year long.

The present ruler has been at the helm since 685.

So basically revive a civ, or roleplay escaping our necromancer overlords. Which would you guys prefer?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Preparations for human story fort - Opinions on scenario and civ
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 01:57:43 am »

All options sound good, though -- Is a civ that got run over by elves really worth reviving?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 02:13:33 am »

Huh. Evidently it was a bone colossus that finally hammered the nail in on The Kingdom of Order.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:14:06 am »

Why escape the necromancers when you can embrace their benelovent leadership?

Roleplaying an evil-oriented human civ could be an interesting idea. With some luck a necromancer might migrate to your fort, contributing to the !FUN! Although an epic tale of a group of humans rebuilding an ancient civilization from scratch sounds entertaining and challenging.

Ultimately, it is up to you to decide.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:47:09 am »

Its not luck, it depends on you... you can get necromancer contracts for your workshops and merchant and buy their goods and animate dead if you like.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:58:50 am »

Of course, but I am talking specifically about the necromancer "overlords". Buying contracts is a whole different topic. Sorry if I haven't made myself clear the first time - I didn't want to create any confusion.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:37:39 pm »

The idea I had in mind was trying to escape said overlords - And with an overabundance of towers, undead attacks have a sudden reasonable source and reason: Trying to crush this little rebellion.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 04:29:33 pm »

As I've said - it is entirely up to you to decide. I didn't mean to derail your idea, I just thought my suggestion would be worth sharing.
I have one more question - are you going to use previously mentioned necromancer contracts under the attitude that the fort has to make use of everything they have to ensure their survival, or will the inhabitants of said fort shun upon dark magic? Both options make sense story-wise, in my opinion.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:44:13 pm »

Well, it's entirely possible they'll hit that godzilla threshhold (say, a monster with a particularly nasty syndrome,) and it'll force thier hand.

But yeah, I understood the idea as sort of usurping the necromancers in charge in some fashion.

Ay suggestions for the scenario the story will start under are welcome all the same, that "fleeing evil wizard oppressors" one was just the one I happened to glean from legends.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 05:29:48 pm »

I'd love to see one with a focus on taverns/trading town. Build a crossroads with 4 roads to each side, inviting all kinds of caravans, scholars and merchants to the center with a huge tavern.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

friendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 07:17:58 pm »

Beginner question: humans and other races in MW create artifacts as well, correct?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 07:52:03 pm »

Beginner question: humans and other races in MW create artifacts as well, correct?

That would have been better asked elsewhere, but unless something has changed, by default for a long while moods would occur in whatever civ the player was playing fort mode in.

EDIT: Alternate options: Two islands inhabited solely by succubi and necromancers, as well as a tower each.

Made the choice of "Flee the evil wizards" while remaining close to home - close enough that the inevitable war with the Nagas should find us a tempting target, along with three towers and badgerman/necromancer neighbors.

EDIT II: Actually might have to scratch that.... Seems my FPS is absolutely abysmal.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2016, 03:46:33 pm »

We should try to obtain independance from the threadnomancers, while trying to build a new future simultaneously.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.