Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (See release thread)  (Read 10131 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Slowly but surely...)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 02:36:17 pm »

As of today everything is "done" except the industries. I have started drawing workshops, hopefully I will have chemistry done tonight, and maybe something else too.

Once the industries are done I will post a test version, then it will be time to flesh the entities out with custom flavor items (currently everyone uses the same default crap with only minor variation). Melee weapons in particular need work, I need to add more of them, as the current list is far too short and has gaping holes...

One tidbit of interest: I plan to do the flamer as a weapon instead of a creature ability :) Basically it will be a melee weapon that grants the ability to throw flames via itemsyndrome...

The test version will hopefully be available near the end of next week...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 07:17:42 pm »

One tidbit of interest: I plan to do the flamer as a weapon instead of a creature ability :) Basically it will be a melee weapon that grants the ability to throw flames via itemsyndrome...
Yup, that's the best solution. I did pretty much exactly that for drakeguns and other such weapons in the Fantasy mod. Too bad there's no way to give them ammo.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 11:44:29 am »

Industries are off to a good start, with chemistry and smelting/forging now done.

The metal industry is a good example of how I am doing things, so I will describe it here.

First off, each workshop has a "tier" that describes, in general, when it may be built. T1 workshops require hand tools and little else. These are the cheap workshops that you will build when your settlement is young. T2 workshops require some special parts, but you should be able to build your first before the second year if you try. In general they are simple upgrades of T1 workshops that are in some way cheaper to operate, but not all T2 workshops have a T1 counterpart. T3 workshops are special. Wait, that is not enough emphasis. T3 workshops are Special! They are very expensive, requiring lots of special parts, each of which will be very hard to get. If a settlement has even one T3 workshop it will be lucky and rich. T3 workshops are automated, and all of them produce raw materials, generally from other raw materials. Usually a T3 workshops has some kind of side benefit in addition to requiring no labor, but you pay for it!

The entire metal industry has 6 workshops, "Slag Separator", "Fuel Smelter", "Arc Smelter", "Plasma Smelter", "Scrap Forge", and "Metal Shop".

The slag separator is a unique T2 workshop. I takes low quality ore and produces high quality ore with a chance for extra rubble (used for making rockcrete).

The fuel smelter and the arc smelter are the T1 and T2 furnaces, where the arc furnace requires no fuel for most tasks.

The plasma smelter is the T3 furnace. Basically it combines the slag separator with a normal furnace, producing high quality results from low quality slag. Oh, and it's also automated, so just dump in your mining results and forget about it :)

The scrap forge and the metal shop are the T1 and T2 forges, with the only difference being the need for fuel.

Most of the reactions for the forges are automatically generated from a list of items tracked by the "Industry Item Registration System", a custom set of Rubble templates that associate items with "tags" specifying what the item can be made of, what hotkey to use for its reactions, how much it costs to make, how many are made per reaction, and several other bits of useful information. Every time I want to add a new item I simply list it with the IIRS and it automagically can be made at every workshop that supports the materials it may be made from. The amount of time this saves me cannot be underestimated!

The IIRS cannot support any items that need complicated assembly, so a few special weapons and some armors have hand written reactions, but all told it comes to less than a dozen (right now).

The good new is that the next industry on the list (plastic/wood/bone) already has all the reactions done, and I haven't typed a single line :) Go IIRS!

Chemistry is not nearly as complicated as it was in the old mod, but it seems about right to me. It's hard to tell before I get into play testing, so I may need to change it yet... Currently there are only two main chemicals, generic "chymicals" and "promethium". Promethium is mostly an optional booster (if you have it some things are cheaper), but for the things that absolutely require it it can be synthesized from chymicals. Chymicals are "free" (costing only labor) but you need to store them in glass vials (so you need glass making going), and you will need a lot of them (so you need a lot of vials to keep things moving). The T3 chemistry workshop produces promethium in addition to chymicals (and it produces more chymicals per reaction), so it will be a major boost to your chemistry industry. In particular plastic production will be much cheaper with the T3 workshop helping you :) Most of the chemistry stuff requires other raw materials, so it's not like you can conjure stuff from the warp...

Anyway, the only really complicated industry left is food processing, with clothing and gunsmithing being close seconds.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »

I spent some time last night outlining the Machine Shrine (the workshop where parts for T2 and T3 workshops are repaired and assembled).

Mid way through I got an awesome idea: There is an "rogue techpriest" noble defined in the player entity which seems to be just for flavor, with a bit of DFHacking I can make it so that your techpriest is the only person who can work the machine shrine! Anyone else who tries will simply case the reaction to abort (returning your items) and print a message stating that they cannot work at the machine shrine since they aren't a techpriest.

This should add a bit of interesting flavor to the mod :)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 03:47:19 pm »

I spent some time last night outlining the Machine Shrine (the workshop where parts for T2 and T3 workshops are repaired and assembled).

Mid way through I got an awesome idea: There is an "rogue techpriest" noble defined in the player entity which seems to be just for flavor, with a bit of DFHacking I can make it so that your techpriest is the only person who can work the machine shrine! Anyone else who tries will simply case the reaction to abort (returning your items) and print a message stating that they cannot work at the machine shrine since they aren't a techpriest.

This should add a bit of interesting flavor to the mod :)
Could you make it so that this rogue techpriest can improve themselves with mechanical augmentations? Fleshy techpriests are kind of weird.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 06:06:04 pm »

Well, there's the occasional Magos Biologis.  But even they would never deign to remain entirely human - if not cybernetic enhancements, biological experimentation is basically a guarantee.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 11:24:30 am »

Could you make it so that this rogue techpriest can improve themselves with mechanical augmentations? Fleshy techpriests are kind of weird.

Sadly, due to the way DF works, this is basically impossible. The only way would be if the techpriest was a special creature caste, and that wouldn't work the way I want it to.

Like most things DF you will just have to use your imagination :P

I finished the reclamator and machine shrine yesterday, on to the next thing. I hope to be ready for "first compile" before the end of the week. If everything goes amazingly well (ha ha ha, fat chance) I will be able to push a test version by then. A more realistic view has me spending an hour or two fixing Rubble generation errors, followed by hours of fixing stuff from the error log, and finally even more hours starting test forts, fixing a major bug/adding some critical thing I forgot, and starting a new test fort, rinse, repeat.

The first few (public test) versions will almost certainly be horribly broken, but after a few bugfix versions hit it should be ready for the general public to play actual games with :) Hopefully this won't be too far off...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 11:35:35 am »

Sadly, due to the way DF works, this is basically impossible. The only way would be if the techpriest was a special creature caste, and that wouldn't work the way I want it to.

Like most things DF you will just have to use your imagination :P
Thinking about it... would it be possible (with dfhack wizardry, of course) to have special items that would auto-unequip if the unit is not the techpriest? If I remember, there are scripts that can equip items onto creatures, so maybe the inverse is possible.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 01:15:56 pm »

That should be possible... The tech priest is only one guy though (I don't want to allow more than one or he stops being special), and I don't want too much special stuff that only one guy can do (poor dude will get overworked).

I have a generic (no Rubble required) version of the script that cancels reactions if the guy doesn't have a specific entity position, so I'll probably post that as soon as I remember... If anyone wants it just remind me if I forget.

Last night I sat down and started working on industries, and next thing I knew I was almost done! As of right now I just need to do trade (buying and selling crates) and two reactions for the lho drying barn... Crates will be easy, as I have a powerful Rubble library that automates the whole thing (the same one I used for First Landing).

With luck I will be able to do First Compile tonight, but I don't expect to have it (minimally) working until sometime tomorrow or the next day.

Aside from the last few industry bits I need to add build items to all the workshops, properly set workshop build keys, and... That's it I think... Wow, almost done! Just a butload of testing, bug fixing, more testing and more bug fixing to go after that!

I also did something really cool with one of the industries last night, but I forgot what it was... Oh well, I guess you will just have to wait until I push a test version before you can find out what it was :P

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 12:46:42 pm »

Test version is up! See first post.

As it stands the mod sometimes crashes when you select an embark location. This seems to be linked to specific biomes (eg, a specific mountain biome, not all mountain biomes). Anyone know what can cause this?

I have done very little testing, so this build is almost certainly horribly broken. Expect bugfixes to come fast and furious from now on :)

+Thought for the day: Blessed is the bug reporter.+

EDIT:

Anyone have any good ideas for a domestic vermin hunter? How about a hive creature (or two)?

The old mod did not have a domestic vermin hunter, but I added some new vermin, so I think the mod could really use one now.

Hive creatures do not need to cater to vanilla limitations, as I will not be using vanilla beekeeping (I have a custom DFHack system that works similarly, but with far more flexibility). Also hive creatures do not have to be creatures, First Landing had some machines that used the hive system.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:43:11 pm by milo christiansen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Test version up now!)
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 05:59:38 pm »

The old mod used dogs as vermin hunters, actually.

But given their rather high attrition rate as a result of running across wolf spiders and the like, it's easy to miss if one doesn't have a dedicated vermin stockpile for the kitchen (to make food out of the resultant vermin remains.)

Most common cause of death for mine was the aforementioned spiders, in fact.

There were also mutated ones scalies/scavies and pit rebels would use as well (and could be domesticated, since they were closely related to the non-mutated ones.)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 06:14:03 pm »

It did? I thought I searched all the creature files for the vermin hunter tag and only found it on carrion bats... I must have hit "find all" instead of "find all in open files".

I guess that makes sense, next version will have special anti-vermin dogs :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 06:17:47 pm »

It did? I thought I searched all the creature files for the vermin hunter tag and only found it on carrion bats... I must have hit "find all" instead of "find all in open files".

I guess that makes sense, next version will have special anti-vermin dogs :)

Yep. I used to have settlements that sometimes had to rely on the dogs to bring in food because the local gang would have been torn to shreds or wasted too much ammunition trying to hunt things down.

The venerable hounds of Necromunda: Steadfast if useless allies in war, and providers of steady (if rat and giant roach-shaped) food in peace.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 06:47:07 pm »

Which reminds me of something else I forgot: rat burgers.

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 06:55:47 am »

So the whole Isotropic fuel rod to make a distillery for water is gone, yes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5