Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (See release thread)  (Read 10137 times)

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Test version up now!)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2016, 10:10:09 pm »

The Rockcrete caster seems to not work... the job stops midway with "molten generic" on the ground and nothing created.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Test version up now!)
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:46 am »

Yes, there is no more water still. AFAIK there was no need for it in the original mod anyway (I couldn't find anything that would make water toxic, and water is hardcoded anyway). My best guess was that there was supposed to be a toxic rain to contaminate surface water, and when the original authors realized that wouldn't work they just pretended it would and told everyone that the water was Bad News.

The Rockcrete caster seems to not work... the job stops midway with "molten generic" on the ground and nothing created.

This kind of weird bug is halfway expected at this point. Thank you for reporting it, and I will fix it for alpha 3.

Alpha 2 is up now!

This version fixes some major bugs, in particular the random embark crashes (I had forgotten to add a shield item). There are still bugs left to find, so don't expect everything to be working yet.

+Thought for the day: Reporting bugs is the duty of every citizen.+
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Test version #2 up now!)
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 04:22:01 pm »

I think they did something to make the water cause a temporary sickness - sometimes my people would become dizzy for a while after drinking river water (and no, it wasn't cave adaptation. it was usually people with a greater vulnerability to disease.)

The purified water still had its utility as safely stored and potable drink though. Which unfortunately even a modestly-sized settlement of 50-60 people burned through at a very alarming rate which was absolutely nightmarish to deal with during a seige and no means to safely access the rivers needed to keep everyone alive since they'd do that silly thing of sucking up everything remotely drinkable in barrels/drums regardless of external factors as DF peoples are prone to doing.

As such I'd say some form of it would be good to have for siege situations, though sans the bottle step since that made no sense beyond making the process need more time and labor for the sake of making the game harder than it already was.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 05:00:16 pm »

Hmmm... How could they do that? Water is hardcoded, and my attempt to make a special rain to contaminate water failed due to rivers having a magic bottom that just eats the contaminants. The only thing I can think of would be somehow editing the water material via a hex editor (unlikely, to say the least), via DFHack somehow (I couldn't find any script that seems to do anything like this, and I don't think it is possible anyway), or somehow getting a contaminant into the water (which is what I tried, and failed, to do).

For sieges you can fall back on good old cisterns or alcohol (I greatly reduced chance of death, so alcohol is less of a deadly problem for non-dwarves). Anything else will have to wait until I have more testing done and more of the other core features in. I have been thinking about toning alcohol down even more, not just the dangers, but also the benefits. As it stands it is far too easy to have the whole settlement staggering around in a more-or-less happy alcoholic haze.

EDIT: I think I can make barrels filled with water stockpileable via some DFHackery, so if I do decide to make some way to fill water barrels they will actually contain water, not a renamed alcohol like the original mod had! I have been experimenting with editing the entity permitted material lists via DFHack lately, and the possibilities are exciting!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:03:41 pm by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 05:03:18 pm »

Not unless you reintegrated classic brewing. In the old mod anything other than water needed water to make it (thereby rendering the point moot and only boosting everyone's general moods.)

As to the water, I haven't the foggiest how they did it, unless it had something to do with the constant ash storms.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 05:05:39 pm »

Yes, I am using vanilla-like brewing, but it is mostly as a "just get it working" thing. I'll probably change it later.

I'll have to do more testing with contaminant storms, maybe I missed something...

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2016, 08:04:06 pm »

From what I remember in the old one surface water made you sick, cavern water didn't. Was everything on the surface just stagnant? Anyways, the isotropic fuel rod was there because that's what happened in the game if you got one- you got to start a settlement. So it makes sense from a fluff standpoint. Even if it's not entirely required it'd be nice to have it back. Would it be possible if the distiller is re-added to create reaction to fill a bucket with water for medical use?

Other bugs- cooking bread doesn't seem to work. I have bags and bags of meal fungus flour and the reaction is still red in the kitchen. Also, none of the new seeds, plants, or powders show up in the kitchen menu on the info screen, only meat does.

Is lho incomplete or am I totally missing something? I can make dried lho but don't see anywhere to turn it into lho sticks.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2016, 08:35:41 pm »

There should have been a building, plus you need paper from ghost fingers to roll the lho with.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 12:42:43 pm »

Loaded it up, had a play around. Really nice to see the old girl going again.

One odd thing showed up - when buying my settlers their skills, some settlers got the renamed abilities (Tech, Gunner et al) and some had the originals. I tried to determine if there was a pattern to which ones got which, but nothing came up.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 02:12:35 pm »

One odd thing showed up - when buying my settlers their skills, some settlers got the renamed abilities (Tech, Gunner et al) and some had the originals. I tried to determine if there was a pattern to which ones got which, but nothing came up.

That is one of the many thing I haven't fixed yet...

plus you need paper from ghost fingers to roll the lho with.

Ah... Forgot the paper. Currently you can roll without it, but that will change for A4. The lho drying shed souls have all the reactions you need for lho processing.

cooking bread doesn't seem to work. I have bags and bags of meal fungus flour and the reaction is still red in the kitchen. Also, none of the new seeds, plants, or powders show up in the kitchen menu on the info screen, only meat does.

I'll have to fix that, thank you for the report.

A3 is up now.

I doesn't fix any of the bugs mentioned here, but it does fix some other stuff, plus it adds some missing content. I was in the middle of making vent lurker skin brewable when I had to pack up, so that is half done :P Expect brewable vent lurker skin, and some tanning improvements, next version.

This version includes a bunch of changes to drinks. Normal water is now mildly toxic (syndrome added to hardcoded water material via DFHack). If you want to drink without ill effect you will need to build a water purifier (currently using placeholder build mats). The water purifier has two modes of operation: A fairly slow way to condense water from the atmosphere, and a much faster (~3x faster) way to purify water from a cistern or stream.

No amount of pumping or other vanilla DF tricks will make water safe to drink, so get a purifier going ASAP! In the interests of not making every little hospital visit a death sentence water won't kill you, but it will make you ill, eventually causing unconsciousness.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K Underhive Settlement Reboot (Test version #4 up now!)
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2016, 11:44:50 am »

OK, Alpha 4 is up now!

This version brings working cooking, working lho processing, and... Just go read the changelog, it's too much stuff to list.

I fixed a lot of bugs, and added a few new features. Next version will probably be more of the same, but hopefully less bugfixes and more features!

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 02:54:19 pm »

Running much smoother! Crashes are relatively rare now.

Noticed a few things that may need addressed-
Practically everyone is wearing socks instead of shoes.
The rockcrete reaction for making Blocks only makes a single block per barrel of slurry, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Shroomwood trees seem a little too common/numerous
Something screwy is going on with cave spores. The lime milk is not consumed, and the produced cave spores are not stockpiled so they wither on the floor.
There does not appear to be a reaction to make backpacks anywhere.

*update, more bugs*
Unable to slaughter animals at the butcher, when you flag an animal for slaughter it doesn't auto-generate the job. If you do it manually, you get "Butcher cancels Slaughter Animal: Inappropriate Building"
For some reason after about a year into the fortress I lost the ability to make any more bread. I have 40 fungal flour in the stockpile, but the reaction says I don't.

Not really a bug, but an observation... I am having a very hard time keeping water in stock for some reason. I have an excessive amount of extra barrels (like 50), but the job keeps getting canceled without any sort of announcement. As I'm kind of letting the game run in the background this is causing a problem. I have a water distiller on the surface purifying water from a murky pool, and one underground doing condensation. They both randomly seem to lose their jobs without an announcement. I've tried setting a manager job to get around it, but it doesn't seem to ever apply the job to either one of them.

I'm also on year four and haven't seen any guilder trade caravans yet, even though I made sure to start near them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:26:25 pm by Arven »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 05:58:29 pm »

The trees may be a bit of a vanilla thing, just saying.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 11:31:00 am »

(bunch of bugs)

Most of my test settlements have been quite short lived, so I haven't run into most of that myself, thank you for the reports!

About your water issue: Are you condensing moisture, or are you purifying water? The former shouldn't be canceled by anything but running out of barrels, the later can be canceled by running out of barrels or running out of accessible water. In both cases you should get an announcement. Does the DFHack log have any red text in it?

The tree issues are beyond my control, A5 makes the trees smaller (so you get less wood) but there is sadly no way to make them as rare as they should be.

Speaking of A5, it is up now and brings several small bugfixes (the fixes for recently reported stuff will be in A6), as well as some nice flavor changes (I finally sat down with the translation tool and renamed some stuff). As always see the changelog (in the download) for full details.

Arven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2016, 02:26:10 pm »

About your water issue: Are you condensing moisture, or are you purifying water? The former shouldn't be canceled by anything but running out of barrels, the later can be canceled by running out of barrels or running out of accessible water. In both cases you should get an announcement. Does the DFHack log have any red text in it?

I had one of each going just to test it, and they both lost the job.It's possible that I just had too many people and was constantly running out of barrels and then quickly crashing the stocks, but it seems unlikely as I don't normally have the problem in normal DF- I got hit by a nightmare wave of 50 immigrants on year 2. I'll test a bit in the new version and report back. I remembered to turn off the pause for the dust cloud before starting the game this time, so I should get a little further.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5