Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Furniture/Room/House/Related Item Appreciation Thread (No, really).  (Read 5731 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Furniture/Room/House/Related Item Appreciation Thread (No, really).
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 10:59:57 am »

The fold out bed, the antique fold out tub and not to be left out, the fold out kitchen dining table:

Containing four shelves, six drawers, AND a foldout bench and table combination, there's a lot in this little space.

Far more expensive, but along the same lines is an entire kitchen doing this.

Very much the same idea with the coffee table. There are widespread models that lift the entire surface area up. The difference is in separation here, allowing multiple users on different seatings to enjoy. Though one could easily make the argument that the old standby TV tray table would do this just as well, cheaper, and perhaps even better, it's an interesting idea. (I, being a utilitarian actually like the tray idea, but I see how people have sadly given them a bad reputation).

Saving Energy helps along with saving space. Sadly when you leave things in, they consume energy. Here, we have a nice way to get around that. It's simple and easy enough to consider. I imagine a homemade version could be put together as well.

Seemingly unassuming and then not. Depend on the Japanese to put together the functionality of a room in a box on wheels that doesn't really look too bad, especially if you consider what they have to work with. If nothing else, I think everyone could agree that this concept would be a godsend in emergency or temporary situations, and could be rather useful overall in practical applications. You essentially have portable built ins, or rather close enough to them.

I'm not sure about the practicality of it all, but honestly it's at least an interesting idea. You've got to hand it to them in that at least they are using the most of their limited space. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 12:37:05 pm »

More of a general post, but some good material all the same.

Simple elegance and use coming together with exceptional detail. I'm personally not a fan of roof track lighting, or recesses, but it works well enough here. One complaint, and it could just be photograph lighting, is that the wood tone colors don't seem to match: the floor, door, desk, and molding appear to be different colors. I might understand, for example the floor being a different wood shade than the others, but four different tones? If that's the way somebody wants it, then fine, and If I'm incorrect, then I'm sorry, but still. Am I wrong about those woodtone colors? The top of the rear desk doesn't look the same as the drawers under it. Those don't look the same as the front desk, or the molding, or the floor. I'm not sure but it's possible the back wall is a different shade as well.

Consider the utilitarian points: lots of counterspace / flat surface work area is a major plus. The office is clearly a showpiece, but also one you could conceivably get a fair deal done in while working there.

Ok, now this is actually rather interesting. There was a weird space nobody knew what to do with, and this picture was the end result. I have to say, especially given the room they had to work with, it wasn't a bad result at all. First of all the centralized tub is an interesting focal point choice and quite non standard for private homes. It is reminiscent of a spa. That said, I never like electrical features hanging above water features, but the chandelier is probably very securely attached and won't fall into the tub (paranoia on my part?).

Nice storage with several drawers and I believe some of those back doors may go into closets as well. I'm not sure what each individual space is defined for (example: rear, screen right has an open under-counter space for a chair so you can put your legs there while you sit and look into the mirror), but I imagine that can easily enough be thought of. I ALWAYS want more storage in everything, but this does provide a nice amount of it.

From a practicality concern, I"d like a place for a towel to be waiting for whoever gets out of that tub within easy reach. Yes, you've got those little metal hoop ones under the arch/vault, but those aren't "right there." You see that mirror right behind the tub. Put two towel holder rings flanking that mirror so you can just reach up for the towel. You see what I'm saying? That way the floor won't have to get so wet and you won't have to walk around dripping for a towel. I think it's a user experience thing.

All the same, still an excellent piece and a wonderful use of an otherwise previously awkward space.

I'm not one for drinking anymore, but you have to give it to this person, who clearly is, or at least stores a heck of a lot of wine. Maybe it's a winery. Maybe it's just an extensive collection. Not sure, but there's a lot of built in storage and you all know I love that storage. You've got a mirror shine countertop space over the lower cabinets, which is wonderful. Each section of the built in storage is specially made to purpose store the right kind of thing in the right kind of way and position. If I'm not mistake, there's also some kind of freezer/chiller on the lower center section.

You see this stuff right here? This applied to something besides wine is what I'm looking for personally (little different but still). This is rather wonderful built in storage. It simply must be said.

I'm one for sparse modernism, but I know that can't be for everyone's differing tastes. The sheer craftsmanship of this is wonderful. Observe the crowning top moulding, which is miter cut so it fits together at a 45 degree cut (difficult with detailed moulding). Consider also the guilded metal latices in the front screen left cabinet door (flanked across the pictured curtained door). It has a certain amount of inset and outset (differing depths of shelving closer or further out from the wall) repeated in a pattern with symmetry to further define function of the storage areas. As an example, the comptuer and monitor storage (behind the chair) comes out furthest and is a sort of centralized display/use area that can also be hidden by merely closing the cabinet doors. The paneling is well done and those patterned bevels seem to work well with the overall theme of matching stain. Speaking of which, please note the uniform wood stain colors throughout (my complaint about the top entry listed in this post). The floor (if you look by the curtained door), the door, the desk, all counter-space, and cabinets, etc are all the same matching color.

One thing I'd like to point out is the ceiling, which is white features its own crowning moulding. This is remarkable because it isn't remarkable, that is: it doesn't distract. Too often, when you mix something like wood and plaster of different colors (here wood and white) it can look like one was sloppily put over the other. Somehow, despite having intricate detail, the ceiling doesn't take away from the woodwork beneath it. It seems to oddly compliment it rather than match it (it is different from the top moulding on the woodwork for example). The focus seems to be down to human level rather than among the higher reaches of the room, which is rare with such an ornamental piece. It is entirely possible someone actually works in this show piece and actually gets something done. Impressive.

If you have to have something besides stark spartan modernist (my personal choice) and favor ornamentation, then have it right like this.

There once was a mess that lived in a closet and then that mess tried and failed to come here.... The mess never stood a chance This is rather well put together. It is modern and functional and matching. There's some beveling on the wood (not much) and you can see this was made to customize for the two people who use it. Her shirts fit perfectly on screen left, his on screen right. I don't know where she's going to put a dress or something longer, but I assume she's got that hanging up somewhere else. This is a very utilitarian and symmetrical setup and I like it. Note, it is in a showroom, rather than a home from what I understand, but the concept is nice.

P.S. These images won't seem to resize.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:43:51 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:17:59 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how you make use of an awkward space, rather well. Note the features including under seat storage and behind seat flat space (against the window) which allows you to place objects, drinks, and or food as you like. The only other option you have a for a space like that is a fairly tiny dinette set, which would give you neither the seating or the storage, or look as nice eve. It also basically comes and melds right into the wall and windows. A table would fit well and could be placed there easily for those sitting....

A rather nice point of a rounded couch blending right into the wall. Notice the storage right above it. I wish the shelving were different and larger. That said, it fits with the design rather well overall.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 06:58:52 pm »

Hello again.

Today, we have a selection from a nice little place called Homestead Furniture. You simply have to admire the craftsmanship. Even though it's not all my personal style, what is?  It's a pretty good shop from what I hear, though I haven't been able to get anything from them myself. Let's review some of their collection pieces, shall we?

And that, is if I am not mistaken, a leaf extension in a counter-space/desk area. The only way that could be more awesome, is if it folded entirely into the unit and out of the way forever. That said, who cares, it's really nice and clearly well designed. I'm not one for fancy finish moldings up top myself but look at that work. This thing is just nice any way you put it. I mean wow. Now, keep in mind this isn't the finished piece from what I gather. It isn't painted/stained and there aren't say ... cabinet doors.

Dimensions: 37" high 80" wide 38" deep | Seat: 19" high 20" deep|Arm: 25" high

As I recall, this is a Motioncraft queen sleeper sofa. What's impressive is that you can't even tell it's a sleeper sofa from looking at it. That is, it doesn't have any odd lines or weird things about it, and it just looks like a fairly normal (if classy as all heck) couch. Are you seeing this? Because I am. Moreover, these things are reputedly very comfortable, both deployed as a bed and as a couch. We're talking really good stuff over here guys. Now, what I would like to know is how they stuffed that thing, because let me tell you, I would LOVE to know how to manage that one, and it is tricky when you figure they're hiding a fold out queen sized bed in that thing.

I'm actually a person who would put something over a leather sofa normally because they tend to get hot in the summer and stuff, but that would be a shame to cover this thing up.

As you all know, I am personally partial to the murphy bed style of folding bed, but you have to give it to this one for having the storage under the bed. That's got some nice simplicity and utility to the design if I do say so myself. (and I do). That said, the desk unit is a little small, but really, it's not that bad, and if you really want a larger one, then they do have them. Moreover, the closet on the right side is nice as well. There's a certain rustic charm to it.

Overall, they've got some nice things in that store. Again, some of it isn't my taste, but maybe it's yours? Either way it's a pleasant example of nice craftsmanship.

Please don't quote me.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 03:57:37 pm »

PTW

The only thing I've got to add is this glow table that I really want to make some day.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 10:55:42 am »

Well, the "Tiny House" movement, is essentially everything about built in furniture, on wheels.

The following videos are pretty interesting, though you may have to scroll down a bit for it:
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/30-foot-trailer-house-made-family-texas-hill-country-video/

Now this one wants you to buy the plans, but I don't think they'd mind people looking:
http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/plans/

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 04:28:45 pm »

http://www.treehugger.com/eco-friendly-furniture/live-tiny-house-build-diy-built-roll-out-bed.html

Ok, that's actually pretty impressive.

I wonder if you could actually make that thing with other aspects, like a sofa or other furniture piece.

Please don't quote me.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 01:54:21 am »

Nice. I have a whole new-found appreciation for furniture, but don't have anything to add at this time. PTW.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 02:58:48 am »

That seems extremely useful
Taste my Paci-Fist

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 01:03:16 pm »

PTW, wish I saw this earlier. Awesome trove of information and knowledge, Tru! :D
I've been interested in all those tiny accessories we see in games since ever <_<

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You see this? Why can't the whole house be like this?

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 07:44:59 pm »

Functional, an interesting conversation piece, and you can put a cover over it to make it just like most other tables. Interesting. Can also swap out coolers for other items, like hot servers, planters for food growing, or almost any other thing you'd like really. It's a practical addition that's possible to put in many places.

Very modernist, minimalist styling with a refurbishing look to it. Personally, I'd do it a little differently, but it works, and you've got to give that to it. Somebody had a difficult to use space and made the best of it they could and that's commendable. Seems to be a lot of people using bamboo these days. I suppose if it works.

A rather nice feature I happen to like a lot. it's a new addition to the room that doesn't clash with the old elements and it's quite functional. I enjoy the side angles which are usually something best left near entrances/exits/doorways, because they allow softer passageways. Here, the old design standard of angled face edges is used so the area doesn't look so cramped. They had a limited wall space to work with and used it excellently. Quite functional. I approve.

As a side note, It's an interesting idea of how these features could be applied to a shared living arrangement with room mates. While people in general may be terrible, a lot of the friction seems to be over lack of personal space, storage, and item use. Imagine bedrooms with built in storage like this making the rooms rather functional and highly usable. Have a couple of side rooms (or partitioned rooms in the basement or other area as separate lounges to hang out separately if desired). That way you'd have some private space in a shared housing arrangement. It'd have to be a house, maybe a run down old thing that could be rebuilt but, yeah. Also consider the exterior furniture adding more usable space from the outside yard (built in outdoor kitchens, tables, lounging areas with gardens all around).

I realize the sad realities of living with other people can sometimes be a lot, but I don't know. It does have advantages: shared expenses being a major one. Shared wi fi internet, entertainment (cable or netflicks, or hulu or whatever). If you could combine that with some really good insulation / heating and cooling elements, it might be nice. Not sure.

Who thinks that might be made a little better with furniture like these and some ideas in the above portions of this post?

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 [2]