Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Whence from here?

I'm not in a hurry; we're bound to find a sucker replacement eventually.
- 1 (20%)
Onward, even if we have a shambling zombie nation!
- 0 (0%)
Let it end, oh please let it end!
- 4 (80%)
You say you need a sucker replacement? Well, I AM that sucker replacement!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 22: Even Worstester Things: called due to Foul weather  (Read 24685 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Link to NationGen: https://github.com/elmokki/nationgen/releases/tag/0.6.14c

Proposed rules: Admin takes your user name, applies some small uniform transformation (so we "keep it fresh", though seeds will effectively vary radically from the last round as it stands), and feeds it into a (publicly available) online hashing application to generate a nation seed. Nation seed is applied to a custom NationGen data setup weighted such that everyone plays Foulspawns. You play with whatever grotesque nation results therefrom.

Settings:

Game name: Bay12GamesRound422
Map: Snerdryn
Mods: NationGen 0.6.14c with Foulspawn chances altered/Desert of Dust 1.1
Era: MA
Disciples: No
Time allowance: 30 hours at start, presumably
Special site frequency: Default
Random event frequency: Common
Story events: Off
Score graphs: Off
Hall of Fame: 15
Artifact forging limit : Limited
Thrones: 16x1/8x2/0x3; 17 points to win
Renaming: Allowed
Research: Normal

Masochists & Guinea Pigs:
AlStar - Charavsjan
E. Albright - Rithbia
Margrave - Halder
Mini - Charbad
Puzzlemaker - Belburg
Shadowlord -  Mazatlan
Il Palazzo - Ag-Manzon

The Departed:
Karlito - Gunbad
USEC_OFFICER - Talor

Spoiler: How does PBEM work? (click to show/hide)

Useful links:
Dom4 forums on Desura
Dom4 forums on Steam
An archived snapshot of the Dom3 wiki: Yes, it's still relevant, and it hasn't been replaced yet, so... It has loads of useful information, including strategy guides. Keep in mind that while a lot of this information is still very useful and valid, a lot of it is entirely out-of-date.

Llama Server: the automatic hosting server for our game.
Llama Server's map and mod browser (Yes, it's not really a browser, but you can browse the maps and mods here)
Dom4 Mod Inspector Very useful. You can browse all the nations, items, spells and sites in the game with it. You can also browse custom mod nations, though it doesn't really support nations using negative montag firstshapes for random recruitment (e.g., NationGen Foulspawn).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:24:07 am by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, so, some of you lot wanted to engage in the micromanagement hell of a Foulspawn NationGen game. So... interest check? Volunteers? Suggestions? What-have-you?

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile

I will volunteer for the good of Foul-kind...Spawnlings? Spawnanity?
Foul-ups. I'm in.

My only request is not a Disciples game.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm probably in for this, but also can we (I) have a vaguely indepth explanation of how foulspawn work? I gather that they each have individual random things, but little beyond that.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sign me up.

0.6.13a or 0.6.13b? OP links to both.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

0.6.13b, assuming we don't have another version out by the time setup is done. Elmokki and I are trying to make another go at "being good" and releasing smaller patches more often, but it's not clear how successful we'll be this time around.

Mini: so NG gives every nation a primary and secondary race, right? If the primary is FS, and the RNG decides against including secondary troops, the following will be true: all infantry, archers, and cavalry (be they normal, elite, or sacred) will be recruited from "template units" which turn into "montag units" upon recruitment. Montag units are jumbled-up Foulspawn with a particular #montag in their definition, and by specifying that montag number (times -1) as the unit's #firstshape, upon recruitment the placeholder template unit becomes one of 4-8 different Foulspawns. The template unit's gcost and rcost are an average of all the units it can possibly be. PD units and starting units will not include template units, because (alas) at game or battle's start those categories of units do not transform to #firstshape so they'd fight one turn (starting) or every battle (PD) as the generic "blank" template unit. Heroes, scouts, "normal" commanders, "special" commanders, priests, and low-tier mages all have a fixed form. High-tier mages have a template form like troops, and 2-3 potential montag forms.

That answer is probably both too and insufficiently detailed, so: FS troops are random w/in a narrow range of outcomes, and commanders except the strongest mages are non-random.

Just mess around with this to see what you're getting into: http://expirebox.com/download/2bef884d9f4de7f44ec94a917af803da.html (48h link)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm interested - although same request as Margrave - I'd rather have a non-disciples game.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tested the link you posted  E. Albright and... uff... intresting.

I also wouldn't want to be a assassin in this world.

Edit: I just spent a entire game moving 150 boars from 80 Big Boars to garrision and then spreading them out to commanders, adding supply items and shufflign around the existing armys - I think thats enough micromangement for a bit.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:18:00 am by ThtblovesDF »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been warning the sweet, optimistic souls that this will be a masochistic exercise in micromanagement for a reason. It's not as bad if you're willing to play at a "moderately optimized", but if you're given to compulsively doing The Very Best You Can Do in a given situation, I feel sorry for you... :P

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just posting to confirm that I like to inflict pain upon myself.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There will probably be a patch by the end of the weekend or so; as such, I'm going to leave recruitment open. And if I'm a sick little puppy, I might add a size-1 Foulspawn pose or two.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to get back into dominions, but.. anyway, if no other games start up count me in.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All right, I'm going to close recruitment. 8 should be plenty for this travesty. We're looking at 0.6.14c in all likelihood. Do we want to generate early/middle/late candidates and vote on which of the three we want to use, or should I just generate one and stick us with it?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would go with just generating one and going with it. Does the era only matter for PD? I imagine you have some idea which one would be most viable for foulspawn nations, e.g. if they would have difficulty with LA PD.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll say no EA, just because I like my indy scouts.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14